1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Batman: Dark Knight Rises (movie thread)

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Jan 19, 2011.

1. origenesprit

origenesprit Well-Known Member

I just think it looks kind of stupid.

2. embowafa

embowafa Well-Known Member

definitely the weakest part of The Dark Knight.

Anyone else think the Batwing-hover-copter is going to start off as something else. It looks to me like it may have started as another upgraded version of the Batmobile and morphed/transformed into the Batwing...kind of like the Batcycle.

3. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Well-Known Member

All of time and space, everything that ever was or

The first one had that absurd mass evaporation machine. It's like he has to toss in one ridiculous techie thing into each film.

4. boogaboogabooga

boogaboogabooga Well-Known Member

I thought the weakest part of the Dark Knight was that they made Batman into George Bush.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  5. Jr Mouse

?

6. origenesprit

There was some article about Batman being like GWB because he had do to the hard thing and become what everyone hated in order to do what was needed. It was a stupid article, and most likely, the guy you quoted is a stupid poster.

7. Jr Mouse

Ah ok. I figured it was somehow related to the voice thing...

Speaking of that, I never understood the backlash about it. Of course he is going to change his voice when going out as Batman.

8. origenesprit

I think it is just that his voice sounds ridiculous. Kevin Conroy changes his voice between Bruce and Batman, too, but does it better.

9. PrimusPilus

PrimusPilus Well-Known Member

When I watch these movies, I'm always disappointed when I don't hear Kevin Conroy's voice as Batman. I've always thought Bale's voice is ridiculous.

10. Jr Mouse

It didn't bother me.

I had a much harder time accepting someone other then Mark Hamill as the Joker.

11. boogaboogabooga

Actually, I was being frivolous. Sort of.

That said, I'm going to play devil's advocate and ask how the scene where they use that sonar-tech with everyone's cell phones, including the brief ethical dialogue around it (In fact, the dialogue around that scenario further validates there may have been some ((bad)) symbolism going on there) isn't evocative of the rationale for the Bush administrations controversial use of the NSA post 9/11?

Also, how about all them OIL bombs? Sort of an inconvenient explosive.

p.s. I'm apolitical. I think our whole system is fucked. I don't know how were aren't basically an oligarchy and with a token democratic republic political system, so don't assume any politico-zeal onto me.

12. origenesprit

FTFY

13. boogaboogabooga

So you don't have a real response? If my thing about the cell phone scene is total bullshit make a case for it. To anyone who's observant you just look like your covering your cop out with bullshit confidence or ignorant contentedness or both. As for not caring, you cared earlier to make the point that I'm probably stupid. It should be an easy point to prove if it's true, right?

14. gort

gort Well-Known Member

Go to CE to debate stuff like this. This is about batman.

15. imageWIS

imageWIS Well-Known Member

:nodding:

16. boogaboogabooga

Batman's subtext isn't about Batman? The video link I posted is a scene from the Dark Knight, a film which has been previously discussed in a multitude of ways prior to my post.

Also, for the record I think it's difficult to confirm or deny a political subtext to the 2nd film as subtexts by their very nature can be (very, in this case) elusive and The Dark Knight's plausible subtext operates nearly completely on sufficient links, not necessary links. There is not an authoritative statement, tip, or occurrence (to my memory) in the film that allows for exact confirmation. However, with the reappearance of a theme or related themes it becomes likely that a subtext exists. Which I was hoping to explore, til I found out the person who called me out didn't have any substance to back up his opinions.

17. boogaboogabooga

Ignore my posts. If no one responds to my statements I don't have anything. I'm just responding because people are questioning me/discussing my posts. It's like if I'm not talking about how shiny the new hovercraft/helicopter/plane is I'm wasting everyone's time, which again, is ridiculous (for a lot of reasons) as you can just skip reading it and not respond to it.

p.s. I'm not saying that digging on the new Bat device is wrong or stupid. If you're interested in all things Dark Knight Rises (and apparently considering the assortment of subtoics in this thread, beyond) that's cool. I just find arguments that the subtext of the previous film is somehow less important than the topic of generalities based around the first and second films, Bat-devices, spoilers, what one would do if they were Christopher Nolan, the absurd or realistic nature of the film's "reality" and what the comics may indicate, to be problematic.

18. darkknight

darkknight Well-Known Member

never noticed how skinny that bat suit makes batman look. looks like christian bale can rock skinny jeans.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  19. willy cheesesteak

willy cheesesteak Well-Known Member

20. grundletaint

grundletaint Well-Known Member