1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Barney's warehouse sale

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by norcaltransplant, Feb 7, 2003.

1. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Well-Known Member

When is it? And do you know when the secondary and tertirary markdowns occur? I need to restock my disposable dress shirt supply.

2. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Well-Known Member

It's usually in the spring, I'll let you know for sure later if you're still interested.

3. LDawg

LDawg Active Member

Are you talking about this? If you are, it started yesterday. I think I might head out to it tonight after work.

4. Renault78law

Renault78law Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link, I think I'll stop by this evening too.

On a side note, maybe someone could explain this: I went to Off 5th in orange county looking for some dress shirts for cheap. I found a white dress shirt by zegna that was supposed to retail for $200. I almost bought it, but decided to try it on first. Immediately, I could tell something was wrong, the material was not as fine at all, (it was thick and unrefined). I inspected the buttons, they were not double thick, nor were they mother of pearl (the were plastic.). I was shocked. I've heard that some companies make things of lesser quality for the sole purpose of being sold in outlet stores, but I thought this bordered on being fraud. Maybe there is a reasonable explaination...?

5. davei

davei Well-Known Member

Zegna has LOTS of different lines. Sport, Soft, Napoli, etc. so the shirt you tried on was likely from a lower end Zegna line. Could have also been a sample or custom one off, who knows.

6. aybojs

aybojs Well-Known Member

I have to agree with Renault here. I've seen a lot of inferior Zegna shirts (with the regular Zegna label, no soft, sport, or any such diffusion line) being sold at Off Fifth stores. Sadly I found this out firsthand made the mistake of blowing a good chunk of money (well, considering the crappiness of the shirt) on one to find out (I needed a plain white shirt asap and was told I was not allowed to try it on and that I couldn't return the shirt when I took it out of the packaging... it was folded up and packaged, not on a hanger). The worst part was that at the time I was inexperienced enough to assume that it was a quality shirt simply because of all the good things I had heard about Zegna; then I bought a Zegna shirt on sale at a real Sak's and it had thick buttons and soft fabric that didn't feel like tissue paper. FYI the nice mainline Zegna shirts I see at Sak's and Neiman's are all made in Spain; the crappy one was made in Italy.

7. Renault78law

Update:
    I went to the barney's sale last night. They mostly sold "Barneys" brand stuff, but I was surprised how good the selection was. Furthermore, things were organized by size (for the most part), so it wasn't too hard to navigate. I ended up getting 4 barneys dress shirts (50% off) and a pair of armani slacks (70% off).
    The dress shirts weren't anything special [double-stitched, plastic buttons] but good staples at a reasonable price.
    If you're in the neighborhood, I'd suggest you take a look. Lots of suits, outerwear, slacks, and shirts. Relatively few shoes and ties.

8. LDawg

LDawg Active Member

Renault-
    How was the jean selection? Or was that non-existant? Let me know. Thanks.

Cheers,
    LDawg

9. Renault78law

Jean selection was pretty sparse, maybe one row or so. Very little in the most common sizes...

10. stylegal

stylegal New Member

Renault78law -

Where are the Off 5th and Barney's sales in Orange County?

11. Renault78law

Off 5th is at The Block, I think the city is Anahiem. The Barney's sale is over, and I believe it was only in LA.

12. LDawg

LDawg Active Member

FYI, the city is Orange.