1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Barker Harrison - brogued boot

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Benscha, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Benscha

Benscha Member

I have recently bought the Barker Harrisson boot in cedar calf. I have had no experience with barker befoe, but i must say that the quality of this boot was above my expectations. The upper leather seem to be a good country wuality, and the 360 degree stormwelt seem to be rigid. The heel is comfortable so i use it alot as a walking boot.

I would really like to hear your oppinions about barker in general, and if anyone else have the same boot and have som feedback on how it will turn out in the next years.

But i really have some problem when it comes to the trousers. What do you think is the right colour on the trousers to use with this boot and how do you wear ankle high boots? And is it possible to somehow, antique it a little with some darker shoecream on the toe, or is it meant to fail?

Cheers

http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/a...g?t=1284553362
    http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/a...g?t=1284553384
    http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/a...g?t=1284553439

The sole is a 10mm dainite - ideal for the winter here upnorth

2. Booshwah

Booshwah Member

I have a pair of Barker Justin from their BarkerFlex collection, I am impressed with the quality as well, at least for that price.

I am thinking of buying the Harrison boot, hopefully it can withstand the rainy Swedish fall. They look really good.

3. Benscha

Benscha Member

I am also from Sweden, and I think it is the ideal boot for the fall up here. It has a stormwelted waterproof lining, so it seems to pretty hardcore in the rain. THough i have not been able to test it in a soaky weather yet.

4. Booshwah

Booshwah Member

Actually the waterproof lining is one thing makes me a bit unsure. Can they breathe? And does it mean that the lining isn't all leather?

/anders

5. allst4rr

allst4rr New Member

Bump...

Do they breath? And how is the sole?

I'm thinking of using them as one of my work shoes...

6. FELT

FELT Well-Known Member

Bump...

Do they breath? And how is the sole?

I'm thinking of using them as one of my work shoes...

I've been wearing a pair once or twice a week since October. No problems with breathability, and they've survived a couple of soakings and some snow without any great wear or tear.

The soles are typical dainite - i.e. they fend off the rain, but aren't exceptionally grippy.

7. greyinla

greyinla Well-Known Member

I'm a fan. Can only speak for the International line, but everything I've seen in it is goodyear welted and good quality full-grain leather. Nice looking boots, BTW. I'd wear them w/ jeans, flannels, cords, etc., in pretty much any color--brown, tan, blue, light grey.

8. Christopher Essex

Christopher Essex Well-Known Member

I'm a fan. Can only speak for the International line, but everything I've seen in it is goodyear welted and good quality full-grain leather. Nice looking boots, BTW. I'd wear them w/ jeans, flannels, cords, etc., in pretty much any color--brown, tan, blue, light grey.

+1

I have a pair of Harrisons that I've worn with jeans, cords, wool trousers and even my brown check 3-piece. They are great!

9. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Well-Known Member

For those that have the Barker Harrison, how do you gentlemen find the fit? Since it is on their Country line, is the overall fit slightly larger? Basically I have wider feet (but can get away with most medium sizes) and if the Harrison's last has more room. Thanks.

10. Benscha

Benscha Member

The fit is pretty good in width for me. I would say medium +. Not too wide and not to snug. I would recon the trickers to be more wide than the barker.

Here are some pics of the boots after 7 months of hard wear. I have chosen to give them dark shoecream to get that worn but durable look that i like when it comes to boots.

[​IMG]

11. robinsongreen68

robinsongreen68 Well-Known Member

these look great, i've been searching for a solid brogue boot that is a little less bulky than my trickers stow. what did you use to get that deeper colour?

12. Benscha

Benscha Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4 years of wear and still going strong.

I have used these boots as a SLAVE-BOOT every day, every winter, autumn and spring. Because I am a med.student - and that makes me poor.

Not kidding when i say they get around 230 days of wear every year. I have got them a new pair of heel twice. No resole. I bet they will hold for 2 more years and then, they're done. Bought them as seconds for about 110 pounds.

13. Northampton Novice

Northampton Novice Well-Known Member

An excellent investment :nodding:

14. MisterEn

MisterEn Member

Nice boot - and a great bargain too.

Was it clear why they were seconds? They look good in the pic. Usually just something like a misaligned stitch, natural flaw in the leather or misplaced glue from the heel unit.

15. upsdelivery

upsdelivery Member

Thread starter, thank you for the follow up

16. Benscha

Benscha Member

So here they are - 6 years and still going.

Got them some shoe cream yesterday and a new pair of shoe laces. Thought some of you found it interesting to see how they have aged since the last post in 2014.

I am still a poor med.student - so they are the only boots i wear in winter/fall.

Approx 200 days a year.

Cheers

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. atia2

atia2 Well-Known Member

You have no choice but to graduate in these. They will have earned it.

18. razl

razl Well-Known Member

+1 Those look great and have earned the walk.

I've got a pair of Tricker Stowe boots which, similarly, aren't on the higher end of the SF scale but, I kid you not, they've taken a beating (4 or 5 years? 90% winter wear) and have aged better than any other pair of shoes I have, a lot like your Barkers. I'm fortunate enough to have a good stable of higher end boots and shoes but none have aged as well as those Trickers, they get better with every passing year.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2016