1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Barbour Bedale or Beaufort

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by sunman42000, Oct 21, 2009.

1. ManofKent

ManofKent Well-Known Member

wow..thank you. sf never fails to amaze with the knowledge of some of its users.
    basically - i prefer the colour on the Sylkoil version when new (currently marketed as Classic)as it seems a deeper olive to my eye while the Thornproof version (currently marketed as Original) seems to be a ligh ter green..

but i was curious how each would look after wear. as far as what i want - i would like a jacket that shows wear/character and looks "vintage"/"shabby" if that makes sense, and i do prefer that olive tone rather then the greener tone of Thornpoof...so ..i'm guessing Sykoil the way to go? or will Thornproof go towards that Olive tone with long term wear?

Base colour won't change that much with wear so I'd go for the classic if you prefer that colour. Both are 6oz if I recall correctly.

2. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

thanks RSS goin that way but Sykoil or Thornproof? i just bought my brother the Sykoil version but this ones for me!
    I have the Sykoil ... but it's just a personal preference.

3. lovelux2010

lovelux2010 Well-Known Member

I have the Sykoil ... but it's just a personal preference.

i realize its a personal preference, but trying to find out details or insight into how Sykoil and THornproof differ in the long term. may i ask - how has yours aged? has the colour changed dramatically over its life?..
    sorry..i've just found it hard to find this out!

4. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

how has yours aged? has the colour changed dramatically over its life?
    The color has not changed. Mine is about seven years old. That said I do have it rewaxed every few years. I see that the Barbour website suggests that a coat be reproofed yearly, but I've not found mine to need it. Then again, I don't wear it daily ... perhaps once a week.

5. ManofKent

ManofKent Well-Known Member

6. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

Base colour won't change dramatically, both will lighten in tone slightly with wear, the sylkoil more quickly.
    I just compared mine to the example shown on the website ... and it may have lightened a bit. It's such a slow process and not extreme, so I don't notice.

7. foodguy

foodguy Well-Known Member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    KABUMP
    funny how things never change. still looking for this jacket (at, uhm, a price). found one on ebay at a great price, but when i asked for measurements, the Large turns out to be 27" P2P. The website says that should fit a 42-44, but that seems outrageous. the M is 23" P2P, which seems a lot more like it. Can any of you Barbour people tell me whether that large is just way too big? FWIW, I wear a medium in Polo coats, too, so maybe i just need to keep looking.

8. anginaprinzmetal

anginaprinzmetal Well-Known Member

I am a 40R and use a Beaufort M. It is a generous (read baggy) cut, and it is supposed to be this way. It's an old design and has changed little over time. I wear mine over a sport coat routinely.

9. Thanks SF (a new me)

Thanks SF (a new me) Well-Known Member

my normal SC is 39-40S...I have a 38 Bedale due to generous cut as anginaprinzmetal mentioned..I normally wear it with medium sweaters or sport coat...fitting is perfect and comfortable with movements...hope this help..good luck

10. James Haytham

James Haytham New Member

Hey guys I personally have decided to go with the Beaufort. I have a ski trip this coming winter and was wondering how it stood up with skiing! (Take note that I'm not the best skier so I should be falling down and hitting the snow a lot)

11. jerrybrowne

jerrybrowne Well-Known Member

Both the Bedale and the Beaufort would be terrible ski jackets. Waxed cotton is not good for skiing since it traps sweat and gets clammy.

12. Trompe le Monde

Trompe le Monde Well-Known Member

there is no miracle fabric for athletics in the cold. either way, you would be under so many layers that breathability converges towards null.

so i really dont buy into that goretex/dry-fit/omni-wick/[insert-techy-name-here] in skiing context.

ive skiied in barbour before. as a late-season, didnt-bring-all-my-gear-on-travel kind of thing. its perfectly fine for that (shielding against snow fall)

whats not good for beginners is that there are no cinch and/or snow skirts, or tall collars. if dude is going to be falling and rolling around in the snow, its going to be a very wet day for him.

13. TC11201

TC11201 Well-Known Member

Cotton in wet, freezing conditions would be a terrible combination. Waxed cotton will both wet out and trap moisture in the lining and once it does, would be an enormous liability in typical skiing weather. It will also get very stiff in low temps and is not particularly good at blocking out those cold blasts. All-in-all, really bad choice for skiing.

If you're doing a standard lift-served ski trip and not slapping on skins for a day of AT or some tele, breathability may not be a huge concern. But, while you may not 'need' something like 3-ply Gore-Tex (which, contrary to some opinions here, is actually waterproof and reasonably breathable), you certainly should not try to make it through a ski trip in cotton outerwear. In addition, as wacky as some outdoor fashions look in the city, a Beaufort on the slopes would look equally out of place.