1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Bar-Mitzvah dress code?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Chrenetique, Dec 16, 2011.

1. notfortheweak

notfortheweak Active Member

I'm headed to a Bar Mitzvah tomorrow and I'm trying to decide on what tie to wear. (I'm wearing a navy suit with a white dress shirt and black AE Park Avenues.) I think my ideal would be a nice solid grenadine in black or burgundy, but since I haven't made the leap into grenadines yet, I've gotta go with what I have. To that end, I have a red BB tie w/ a blue paisley(ish?) pattern on it, similar to this one but with a little less going on, as well as a glen plaid tie from Sam Hober. (I'm early on the path to dressing well, and the rest of my tie collection consists of many mistakes.) The Hober is definitely a nicer tie, but I'm wondering if it'll be too much for a Bar Mitzvah followed by a luncheon. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Well-Known Member

You'll be fine, whichever one you choose to wear, notfortheweak.

I think a red tie with a little paisley action is perfectly appropriate. Sure, it's maybe slightly more "playful" than a glen plaid, but this is a Bar Mitzvah followed by lunch, not a state funeral. It's a happy occasion. Plus, you'll be wearing a dark suit, a white shirt, and black shoes; it's okay to incorporate a single, more lighthearted, whimsical, or at least colorful wardrobe element with all that.

'Course, if you really prefer the Hober tie, there's nothing inherently wrong about choosing it, instead.

Don't over-think this one. You'll only wind up creating a problem in your mind, where none exists in the real world.
    --
    Michael

3. jdome

jdome New Member

For a bar mitzvah, I believe there are strict guidelines. As a Jewish mother of two boys, I had to pick out clothes for their bar mitzvahs. I believe that bar mitzvah MUST wear a suit and matching slacks. They need a white button down shirt, and that color only. Other colors are inappropriate. Also, they need a tie and dress shoes. I believe that this is essential. My boys wore these clothing combinations to their bar mitzvahs and I make them wear it to school, too. I have very strict rules.