1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Banana Republic, not that bad

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by deveandepot1, Nov 4, 2009.

1. jet

jet Well-Known Member

Does BR still make argyle half zip sweaters? I swear they haven't changed at all within the last decade.

LOL! The stuff I bought 10 years ago can still be found but at even worse quality.

2. StanleyVanBuren

StanleyVanBuren Well-Known Member

The quality has definitely gone down. I know that's a trendy thing to say about pretty much all brands, but I have noticed a distinct difference.

In 2005 I bought a bunch of dress shirts from BR. They had decent fabrics and decent collars. Semi-high 2 button collars with a semi-spread and 1/4" stitching.

Now the collars are lower, flimsier, and most have that crap "modern" stitching where the stitch is right at the edge of the collar. Looks terrible. Plus the patterns and fabrics aren't even as good. It has only been 5 years, and yes -- my tastes have matured, but even if they hadn't, I'd still think twice about buying the same type of items at BR today.

If you can find stuff like that coat I posted above, it may still be decent. I got that awhile ago too and it has held up pretty well. Basics like undershirts and socks may still be a decent bargain as well.

3. Nil

Nil Well-Known Member

What's wrong with these? I have a couple from JCrew that I love in the winter.

They're ugly as sin. They belong solely with suburban dads that drive minivans.

4. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

LOL! The stuff I bought 10 years ago can still be found but at even worse quality.

OMG. Jet in a BR. My mind is reeling.

5. Spoondrift

Spoondrift Member

Uhhhhhhhh J. Crew

J. Crew tall sizes start at large these days.

6. StanleyVanBuren

StanleyVanBuren Well-Known Member

J. Crew tall sizes start at large these days.

Oh.

Well then.

Maybe Brooks Brothers? In their dress shirts, they seem to offer longer sleeve sizes at least. [​IMG]

7. BB1

BB1 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I got this coat at BR. It's one of only 2 or 3 things from there that I still wear.

Well, at least you're true to the original BR concept....

"The original Banana Republic was founded by Mel and Patricia Ziegler in 1978. It was a two-store safari and travel-themed clothing company. The majority of sales came from its eccentric, hand illustrated catalog, which presented high-end and unique items with chatty, usually fictional backstories from exotic locations, as well as more pedestrian high-volume products deliberately spiced up with a similar treatment. As Banana Republic expanded its retail operation, it became known for the themed decoration in its stores, often featuring authentic elements, such as real Jeeps and foliage, as well as atmospheric elements, such as fog and steam."

8. wcarson89

wcarson89 Well-Known Member

Seeing as how their isn't a J.Crew anywhere in my state (Arkansas)...BR is one of the only places in the mall I ever see anything I would even consider wearing...with that being said I own like 5 things from there.

Jeans- terrible
    Suits - tailored fit fits well but theyre overpriced at retail
    shoes - awful
    dress shirts- even the slim fit is too big
    casual shirts- sub par fabrics

what they do well: outwear (sometimes)...tees (if they didn't shrink)

9. Fortysomething

Fortysomething Well-Known Member

+1

I wouldn't say it sucks, but I will say that recently I went through a couple of their stores and nothing really interested me very much. But, I could probably say that about good number of stores over the years...mall or boutique-like.

10. A Fellow Linguist

A Fellow Linguist Well-Known Member

I am wearing a banana republic shirt right now, no lying. Sorry, SF. I'll wear Margiela tomorrow to make it up to you.

11. jet

jet Well-Known Member

Even the name sounds more and more stupid with the passing of each day lol.

12. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

It is noteworthy that the title of this thread is apologetic. It's "not that bad," not something like, "Wow, check out BR!"

13. Johdus Fanfoozal

Johdus Fanfoozal Well-Known Member

Remember back in the 80s when single-needle stitching and Horween pull-up were standard at BR?

Yeah, neither do I.

14. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

You'd have to be pretty old to remember that. And a former BR shopper. Of which I am neither.

15. wrenhunter

wrenhunter Well-Known Member

Banana Republic merino wool sweaters are great for the price. Just sayin.
    +1. I have a black v-neck from years back that is holding up well.

Overall, though, BR has become very Chess King.

16. Mr. Clean

Mr. Clean Well-Known Member

+1. I have a black v-neck from years back that is holding up well.

I have to disagree. They are probably my biggest disappointment with BR.

17. brad-t

brad-t Well-Known Member

i am posting in a 14 page thread about banana republic

18. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Well-Known Member

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    i am posting in a 14 page thread about banana republic

Don't hate. [​IMG]

19. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Well-Known Member

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    I think what some of you need to realize is that BR is one of the few stores that you can get anything in a Tall size. A lot of people, like myself, need the extra arm and body lengths this affords. In terms of national chains, the main ones that carry Tall sizes in large quantities are BR, GAP, JCrew and Polo. So while it may be harder to find good looking stuff at BR these days then it used to be, a lot of us will still check the stores and website out and buy the brand when we do find good looking stuff just to get things that fit.

You can go on and on about the the brands you love and say how much better they are then anything BR carries, but if they don't make clothes that fit taller people they are not an option.

20. sharks9022

sharks9022 Well-Known Member

I think what some of you need to realize is that BR is one of the few stores that you can get anything in a Tall size. A lot of people, like myself, need the extra arm and body lengths this affords. In terms of national chains, the main ones that carry Tall sizes in large quantities are BR, GAP, JCrew and Polo. So while it may be harder to find good looking stuff at BR these days then it used to be, a lot of us will still check the stores and website out and buy the brand when we do find good looking stuff just to get things that fit.

You can go on and on about the the brands you love and say how much better they are then anything BR carries, but if they don't make clothes that fit taller people they are not an option.

You could get a tall tee from Sean John or FUBU [​IMG]