1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Baldness

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by PCabrelli, Apr 13, 2008.

1. Big A

Big A Well-Known Member

As many have mentioned, there is only one cure for MPB. I use it myself:

[​IMG]

2. lost in va

lost in va Well-Known Member

Just took a 1/8" guard to the head and no guard to the face.

I'm sticking with this through out the entire summer.... I just wish my eyebrows would thin up a bit. [​IMG]

3. ryoneo

ryoneo Well-Known Member

It all depends on you and your body chemistry if any of the current treatments will work, including grafts. Could the meds regrow hair, stop loss, slow loss or just not work at all? Don't know until you try it.

Propecia (finasteride) works for me, I had minor sides in the first two weeks of use, but my body adjusted. Some people have side effect that they can live with, other have none, and some can't stand the stuff. As for effectiveness, I haven't had any loss since using it.

Rogaine also works for me, despite the fact that it says it shouldn't (not for MPB anyway). I could see peach fuzz on my forehead from using it within 3 months. For some it doesn't work at all, for some there are side effects (heart palpitations)... I didn't have side effects other than minor skin irritation, but that went away when I bought the foam.

I also eat better, get more veggies, eat lots of good fats and take supplements like Multivitamins, Zinc, Selenium, Biotin and Fish Oil.

If you buy the generic Propecia (finasteride) and cut it up, you'll get like 150 doses or more out of a bottle (Propecia is 1mg, the generic form is 5mg, do the math if you get 30 pills). If you manage 60, sweet. If you have insurance, Finasteride is covered, but Propecia may not be.

For now, you need to at least try to maintain what you have, any restoration doctor worth anything will tell you that. Again, I refer you to baldingblog.com... ask the doctors there yourself. If you don't, than you will require far more grafts than what you would need otherwise. That could take multiple surgeries and tens of thousands of dollars more, if it would be even possible.

Worse yet, the very condition that made you lose that hair in the first place will still persist, so in order for you not to lose your investment you will have to take finasteride and/or Rogaine after anyway.

So, bite the bullet and at least try it for a month or 3 months. All effects will go away, good or bad, within a few days of stopping if you do.

PS: Durestride is the newest DHT blocker around, it works better than Finasteride, but right now is only for Prostate issues/cancer and NOT FDA approved for hair loss, though I hear that will change in about a year or so. All evidence points to it working better than anything else out there right now, but there could be more side effects because a dose for hair loss hasn't been set... it's all trial and error right now.

+1 .... I have been using Propecia (finasteride), for about a year and a half now. The first three months you will feel some side effects, but after that I was fine. Also, buying the generic version online in bulk is the way to go. It really works and keeps as much hair on your head as possible.

4. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Well-Known Member

I'm convinced that right around (1 to 2 years) the corner we will have some simple regenerative treatments that don't involve stem cells or cancer risks.

Many people say that, but there is no evidence anything is right around the corner.

Also, JoeWoah is right - women do care about hair loss. As usual, there are studies.

5. Pennglock

Pennglock Well-Known Member

Propecia has truly stopped my hair loss, but I believe it is causing some side-effects on me:
    -occasional limp dick
    -fat on my torso
    -possibly some brain-fog? Can anyone elaborate on this? I have been having trouble concentrating lately...

6. dusty

dusty Well-Known Member

Many people say that, but there is no evidence anything is right around the corner.

Also, JoeWoah is right - women do care about hair loss. As usual, there are studies.

Well you're just a ray of sunshine in this thread. Maybe image consulting can assuage our hairloss woes?

7. JoeWoah

JoeWoah Well-Known Member

Hollywood for Ugly People... Washington, DC
    Well you're just a ray of sunshine in this thread. Maybe image consulting can assuage our hairloss woes?
    Did you come here for someone to sugar coat the facts? Has anyone on this board ever sugar coated anything? [​IMG] Are there women who don't care, or who like bald men? I'm sure there are. Are they in the majority? No. Most young, attractive women want a guy a good head of hair. Unless you have good game, it could be the disqualifying factor to you getting to know her. Now once you have them hooked, they'll probably forgive you as it thin's and go's over time, it matters less then. As for Propecia side effects, I'm thankful I haven't had any like you guys describe... I have one that the girl friend actually likes, I "shoot" less. But I have to ask, could those side effects actually be all Propecia or could other factors also be involved? I mean, we're all getting older, at 25 I'm not exactly 18 anymore... I know this by the fact that I sometimes wake up in more pain than I went to bed in. Old sports injuries are bothering me now, I'm not looking forward to 30, 40, 50. Could Propecia cause joint stiffening? It could, but it's not debilitating (10 min walk and I'm good) and I can't prove it is that. If I work at my desk, I don't hurt the next day... I work on the couch and I do, so now I have to use proper posture at this age I guess As for brain fog, well I doubt I'd be too sharp in a 7am class like I was back in the day, but again, it could be that I'm not a college kid anymore (and I don't take 4 cat naps a day either). If you have trouble concentrating, try an Adderall.

8. tiecollector

tiecollector Well-Known Member

Maybe 1 to 2 years is optimistic but we have been hearing about stem cells and gene therapy arriving for 3-5 years for over 15 years now. The official word from companies is still 3-5 years. I think something will spring up out of the blue and beat all these companies that have been investing for years and years. You should check out the hairloss forums, not the mainstream ones pushing Rx, one guy claims to have gotten some hair to grow using a simple technique and his theory is sound.

9. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

10. grimslade

grimslade Well-Known Member

All in all, messing with your hormones is no good. If testosterone were the real culprit, then castration would be the answer, but it isn't.

[​IMG]

If I had to choose between my balls and my hair . . . Anyway.

Hair loss may or may not make a different to chicks, but da boys--that, they will notice.

A powdered wig.

LK, always on duty!

11. DicDictionary

DicDictionary Active Member

Shave it and pray you can pull off the Jason Statham/aging Bruce Willis hair style.

I just shaved my hair yesterday as I have an interview coming up and my previous was...uhh.... unsuitable.

12. dusty

dusty Well-Known Member

Did you come here for someone to sugar coat the facts?
    Loose definition of "facts".

13. JoeWoah

Maybe 1 to 2 years is optimistic but we have been hearing about stem cells and gene therapy arriving for 3-5 years for over 15 years now. The official word from companies is still 3-5 years. I think something will spring up out of the blue and beat all these companies that have been investing for years and years. You should check out the hairloss forums, not the mainstream ones pushing Rx, one guy claims to have gotten some hair to grow using a simple technique and his theory is sound.
    Is it the caffeine technique, or something different? I'm going to try that solution you suggested. If it doesn't work, it still sounds like a good way to wake up in the morning anyway. [​IMG] Speaking of that, pretty much everything has Lauryl Sulfate in it. My Shampoo which I like, Matrix, has it listed twice (kinda redundant). Any suggestions? What about conditioners? It's in that too.
    You're right, but speaking with women in there early-mid 20's (my age group), hair is important on the first impression. They're not really thinking about bald guys. Balding is a different thing, but we're talking about nothing more than a Norwood 2 (and that's pushing it). I think that once they're with a guy who's balding, it might be different, but they haven't had to deal with or consider it much up to that point. Sure some have more than others, but very desirable women are less likely to have. I think that a bald guy who accentuates other pluses and has some game would be fine... The bottom line is that there is an evolutionary psychology at play here.

14. tiecollector

Is it the caffeine technique, or something different? I'm going to try that solution you suggested. If it doesn't work, it still sounds like a good way to wake up in the morning anyway. [​IMG]

Something similar but with some extra steps involved. That is for regrowth though, the concoction I make is for maintenance.

They aren't listed twice, you are probably seeing Laurel Sulfate and Laureth Sulfate, I have no idea what the difference is. But you don't want either. Get some of the Aubrey Organics stuff on iherb.

Hair is important no matter what, especially the younger you are. I'm a NW2 at best paired with a naturally large forehead, so it sucks. I have to style my hair kinda messy so nobody can tell.

Some people look really good, or even better, bald. In the end it doesn't matter though. Everyone has a preference, and everyone would *prefer* hair, but for women to find you attractive you just have to work on your game. If you are confident and let them know they can't have you, they'll want you. If you are the world's greatest looking guy and you act too needy, they won't want you.

15. JoeWoah

According to new research, Flaxseed Oil slows hair loss in 9 out of ten 10 men in a research study. The news is in Men's Health Magazine.

They suggest eating it, not using it topically... but I wonder...

16. tiecollector

According to new research, Flaxseed Oil slows hair loss in 9 out of ten 10 men in a research study. The news is in Men's Health Magazine.

They suggest eating it, not using it topically... but I wonder...

I remember mixed things on flaxseed. Be careful because in some cases it can increase inflammation. I've never taken it. Fish Oil, or Krill Oil are much better imo. You need DHA and EPA n-3, which are hard to find, not ALA, which is found in a number of things.

17. Woogie

Woogie Member

just made a huge post in the am i loosing my hair too quickly topic about which anti dht products to buy and im wondering if anyone in the baldness topic has used any?

i have read a small amount of information about rogaine and nizoral as they seem to be the most popular. has anyone used products from the nanogen range (eg nanocaps and nanoguard)?

as a temporary solution i am looking to buy some instant concealer for my thinner spots. has anyone had experience with nanogen nanofibres or toppik?

cheers. WW

18. life_interrupts

life_interrupts Well-Known Member

To the OP: if you don't have a significant bald spot or thinning, just crop it closer to hide the loss. If it's really going, no amount of Rogaine or Propecia will bring it back, but you'll hold onto what you have. I know someone who's done hair transplants and he's cool with it.

Personally, I've been shaving mine once a week with clippers (no guard) for nearly 10 years. I have the faintest amount of hair and dating wasn't an issue for me (I'm married now), but as a black male, being bald is less of an issue. Any woman who won't date you because you're bald, well c'est la vie. Others will.

19. Gradstudent78

Gradstudent78 Well-Known Member

Any woman who won't date you because you're bald, well c'est la vie. Others will.

For some women it will be an issue, for some it wont. I think it's pretty akin to women having small breasts, some guys think it's a big deal, others really don't care. The key is not to let it effect your self confidence/ self image, because low self confidence really is a date killer.

20. Woogie

Woogie Member

i definitely agree with that. its so easy to fall into the trap of downward self confidence.

this is why i have been trying to come to terms with my problem as well as remaining optimistic that i can beat this.

(to quote a post i made in another topic) ive heard such good things about anti dht products. apart from my crown my hairloss isn't so noticable which is why im looking for both concealer and prevention.

i think im going to buy some nanogen nanofibres and probably one of their prevention products as well. will let you know how it goes