• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bag for Work

yanks2182

Reaction score
What type of bags or briefcases do you fellas bring to work? As stated in another post, I just started a job on Wall Street, and I've been saving up money to buy a nice bag. Unfortunately I've been using a messenger bag. I not only hate the look, but that it also pulls on my suit coat. Any brands or specific models would be great? I'm curious to hear some thoughts.

newyorker

Reaction score
Gentlemen in otherwise proper attire carrying backpacks and nylon messenger bags are a unique sighting in New York City. Very not European.

On the other hand, as a very young employee in Wall Street, I would feel out of place carrying a leather briefcase when (some) senior people are carrying EastPaks.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I currently carry a Swaine Adeney document case. Â The image can be found here: http://swaineadeneybrigg.net/product_detail.asp?id=42
So do I -- in black. IF, and that's IF, you think you will want to have the same bag for the next 20 years and that you won't forget it or get tired of it, it's a good investment. I got mine from englishhall.com, but with prices rising and the exchange rate you should contact www.classicluggage.com If you want to go slightly cheaper, try Atlas.

cpac

Reaction score
it all depends on what you need to carry to the office and back.

Before I started going to the gym daily, I carried a leather briefcase back and forth daily.

I would still do that, but now I have to carry a messenger bag big enough to hold gym clothes and the like. Definitely not my favorite thing to do, but it's necessary.

If you can get away with it, I'd carry nothing (phone, wallet, blackberry, keys can all fit in pockets)

yanks2182

Reaction score
The Atlas briefcases seem very nice, and are a little more in my price range. I think I tend to like the soft brief's better, what about all of you?

maxnharry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(medwards @ May 24 2005,09:02) I currently carry a Swaine Adeney document case. Â The image can be found here: http://swaineadeneybrigg.net/product_detail.asp?id=42
So do I -- in black. Â IF, and that's IF, you think you will want to have the same bag for the next 20 years and that you won't forget it or get tired of it, it's a good investment. Â I got mine from englishhall.com, but with prices rising and the exchange rate you should contact www.classicluggage.com If you want to go slightly cheaper, try Atlas.
Classicluggage also offers similar products from Glenroyal which probably cost as much as Atlas, but are similiar in quality to Swaine Adeney

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
How about a brushed aluminum briefcase, like the President's nuclear briefcase with the activation codes and big red button. Except not as bulky. It can have the same dimensions as your average briefcase. Anyone entertained this option?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How about a brushed aluminum briefcase, like the President's nuclear briefcase with the activation codes and big red button. Except not as bulky. It can have the same dimensions as your average briefcase. Anyone entertained this option?
Hmmm... very cool if you are in fact a spy. Good for 007 (obviously), Jack Bauer, and anyone who is going to be killed off in the first 5 minutes for whatever it is he is transporting. For extra security and visual effect, said case should be handcuffed to the carrier. Best paired with black or navy suit, severe side part, sunglasses, and earpiece. Side arm under suit that will be drawn, but in vain, as you are gunned down by Bad Guy #1.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Atlas briefcases seem very nice, and are a little more in my price range. I think I tend to like the soft brief's better, what about all of you?
Depends on the circumstances. I'm in academia. Showing up to a talk with one of the formal cases mentioned above would look out of place. But my soft Italian bags would look out of place in a conservative business setting. And there's always the issue of where you are on the food chain.

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually, the Presidential EWO's case is a black leather hard sided case (well, it is titanium under the leather). It has no identifying marks on the outside, which was really convenient for the EWO officer that was left behind by Clinton's motorcade and had to walk home by himself through DC.

esvoboda

Reaction score
I own several briefcases. Rugged hardware, textured or matte leather, extra straps, being thick, and being soft-sided are all things that will make a briefcase more casual. On the other hand, a shiny thin attache case in fine leather can make you look like a Swiss banker as long as you're wearing the suit to go with it. In my opinion, many of the factors that go into making a shoe more or less casual also apply to briefcases.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
esvoboda mentioned Zero Halliburton on the laptop bag thread, so I'd thought I'd reference it here as well. Depends on your job, but maybe you can indeed pull off the spy briefcase look.

yanks2182

Reaction score
I think I might get tackled by a security guard walking past the exchange in the morning if I walked by with an aluminum briefcase cuffed to my arm.

I think I'm leaning more towards one of the soft flap briefcases. I've never heard of zero halliburton before, but they same to have a nice product as well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads