1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

BA in Sociology... help meeee!!

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by MikeCamp, Feb 9, 2011.

1. AntiHero84

AntiHero84 Well-Known Member

As someone who has a BS and an MA in Sociology, I have two words for you.... Market. Research.

Are they teaching you basic SPSS skills? If so, there can be a decent career path there. Seriously consider the all the applied sociology courses they offer.

With a basic understanding of statistics and research methods, you can develop some very marketable skills even if they employers roll their eyes at your Soci degree. Not that it's even that hard or difficult work, but people will pay you for things that they think are hard, or just difficult to do.

Did any of you Soci majors like your methods class? I skipped the field study and did an interview instead.

Probably the most useful class out of the entire major.

Actually, Research Methods and Statistics was one of my favourite classes. I had forgotten how much fun (yes, fun...) math could be. It was nice to get an answer that people couldn't debate haha. It kind of made me wish I had stuck with math.

It's funny how little math actually needs to be done when you have stats programs helping you do all the hard stuff. After that, it's mostly a logic game.

2. L.R.

L.R. Well-Known Member

3. Lord-Barrington

Lord-Barrington Well-Known Member

There's some terrible advice being given in this thread.

I agree that university is not the time to "do what interests you" without any regard for marketability. You like music? Great. But should you really major in it if you ever want to live above the poverty line? Probably not.
    At the same time I can name, off the top of my head, a dozen people I went to university with who studied hard science, accounting, math, or engineering who hate their jobs or hated them so much that they quit. Doing something only because it's useful is a great way to waste four years of your life in college and several years afterwards in the workforce.

4. cheessus

cheessus Well-Known Member

go to lawl school

5. Eason

Eason Well-Known Member

It's really important that you talk to your advisor and discuss possible career paths for your major before you load up on credits. It will save you a lot of time and money.

6. imageWIS

imageWIS Well-Known Member

I just ate a pork chop and scallion potatoes. I look down on the unwashed masses.

From your hovel?

7. ppllzz

ppllzz Well-Known Member

I actually hated SPSS, prefered doing the hard stuff by hand. No idea why.... probably because I had so little chance to do math else where haha.

what does it even mean to do stats by hand...

8. Jan_

Jan_ Well-Known Member

Anyway, I just graduated college with my BA in Sociology, and I am having trouble finding a job. I am enrolled in my MA for sociology as well, but it is part time, so i have plenty of time for a full time job.(...) Anyone in this field and can offer some sound advice ??

The more hard, quantitative skills you have, the better. People don't want to hear about social philosophy and other abstract stuff. The point is whether you can actually come up with actionable advice. That's of value for others. And this advice should be backed up by empirical facts and generated by consistent, plausible models. To make your advice sound, you should have some basic knowledge about fields that influence decision makers: Law, business administration, where needed some technical stuff (i.e., if your advice is, say, in real estates, you should know something about this business and its markets, the legal constraints, some technical issues of developing and running properties). Your skills should tend to statistics, basic programming (or operating specialized software) and presentation of your results. Basically that's market research and corporate policy advice. Think about whether you need a job or could do this as an independent consultant / freelancer.

9. AntiHero84

AntiHero84 Well-Known Member

what does it even mean to do stats by hand...

Seriously. It saves sooo much time. Doing it by hand is not at all applicable in the real world.

10. L.R.

L.R. Well-Known Member

Seriously. It saves sooo much time. Doing it by hand is not at all applicable in the real world.

Oh, I completely agree, and am well versed in SPSS. I just found it fun, though.

11. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Well-Known Member

go to lawl school

lol school might be a good option too.

12. Davidko19

Davidko19 Well-Known Member

i wish i consulted the internet before choosing my communications degree from a shitty, overpriced private college [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member

i wish i consulted the internet before choosing my communications degree from a shitty, overpriced private college [​IMG] [​IMG]
    you still studying?