1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

B&S Buyer wants to return something... Aren't NO returns an unwritten rule of B&S?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by allaboutshoes, Sep 19, 2011.

1. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Well-Known Member

Caveat emptor means just what I said it means. Clearly you did not understand what I typed.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  2. Bonggoy

Bonggoy Well-Known Member

I beg of you, please stop twisting facts. I am new here so I won't win any popularity contest. Not knowing your relationship with Allen Edmonds, I have been trying to settle this with you in a way that you won't lose any money and minimal lose to me.

Let's get this back to private as I don't see the need to clutter the board with our issue.

3. XKxRome0ox

XKxRome0ox Well-Known Member

it's not a popularity contest what did the seller do wrong? nothing he provided you the shoes you wanted in the color and size that you asked for at a discounted price that is not otherwise available to you you chose the wrong shoe, wrong color, and wrong size that is all on you

4. Van Veen

Van Veen Well-Known Member

Why did you mention caveat emptor if you believe that sellers should honor returns unless they explicitly state "all sales are final"? Those are two contradictory ideas.

5. holmes

holmes Member

Bonggoy, I know it feels like you're getting ganged up on, but this is a simple problem to solve. Unfortunately, you're going to have to bear the brunt of it, but that's only fair. This shouldn't cost you more than $30-$40 to set straight, yes?

Think of it like this, say you purchased a pair of shoes from one of our UK vendors and wanted to send it back. They would take it, but it would cost you at least what? $30 or $40 to return them to the UK? Would you complain to the vendor that they should pay for you to return the merchandise? No, you would accept that the price of returning the item will be borne by you.

The only difference here is that this seller naively expected everyone to understand the 'unwritten rule'. A mistake to be sure and one he is paying for, however you must take ownership of this situation and find a solution.

The price of returning these shoes is going to cost you something; it has to, as this is your decision to return the shoes. Just agree on a number and be done with it.

6. Bonggoy

Bonggoy Well-Known Member

I appreciate the response. I bear no ill will against people who responded negatively.

I am working with allaboutshoes on a resolution to something you proposed. We are working on a number that will be agreeable to both of us. This will be resolved.

7. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

Allaboutshoes doesn't owe you anything. It's not his fault you ordered the wrong size. Sounds like buyers remorse to me too.

1 person likes this.
  8. DerekS

DerekS Well-Known Member

whew. i was worried about that.

9. tj100

tj100 Well-Known Member

I don't know if it's written or unwritten.

But no returns on B&S.

With the possible exception of goods not-as-advertised. And even then, I'd be more inclined to call the seller out than to try to return the item.

B&S isn't a store. If you want customer service, go to Nordstroms. Pay full price.

1 person likes this.
  10. Superfluous

Superfluous Well-Known Member

I'm curious. What did you think he was? A company? Bluefly? Zappos?

11. Superfluous

Superfluous Well-Known Member

An agreeable number would be you cover his shipping and your return shipping assuming he has the shoes on hand. It kinda sounds like he doesn't usually hold any risk by ordering the shoes elsewhere when he gets a request. If that's the case, I'm sure he doesn't want to now have to hold onto shoes he didn't before, then you should add a restocking fee. If I were the seller and I previously had the item already, I'd just accept a deal that would put me exactly where I was before you bought it (money wise) and go on with it.

12. unaware

unaware Well-Known Member

is it out of the question for the buyer to just turn around and sell the shoes in question to recoup most, if any, lose?

13. Archy

Archy Member

Everybody seems to be missing out on the point that the buyer went to the factory for resolution!

What does AE have to do with informal forum sales? This is really nuts.

I think it speaks very highly of Allen Edmonds that they even talked to him, let alone that they are trying to help.

That is beyond the call of duty. Bravo AE!!

Boo Bonggoy!

1 person likes this.
  14. bleachboy

bleachboy Well-Known Member

Just here as a senior member to say.. yep. No returns on B&S. I've only returned one item, and that's because it was a NWT item with an unadvertised tear in the fabric. I've also bought stuff that didn't fit, and didn't even think to try returning -- the bad fit is my problem, and I just resold the items.

1 person likes this.
  15. tone76

tone76 Well-Known Member

My understanding is that B&S is like any other sort of private sale in that all sales are final. If anyone gets buyer's remorse and wants a change of mind refund, it is up to the buyer to resell the item and try and get as close to what you paid as possible.

That said, this particular thread has served as a very valuable lesson for both B&S sellers and buyers:

Sellers - make it clear that all sales are final; even though most reasonable people will know this is implied, it's the 1% that screw it up for the rest of us, so CYA.

Buyers - if you want all the service bells and whistles of a big store, expect to pay big store dollars. TANSTAAFL.

1 person likes this.
  16. holmes

holmes Member

If a seller takes paypal or any other credit card based payment, they are subject to the same rules of business like any other company. This is the mistake that many independent sellers make, thinking that they are immune to the rules that govern credit card supported commerce.

Depending on what protections a buyer's credit card offers, the buyer has the ability to invoke his 'right of refusal', otherwise known as a chargeback. Some of these protections allow a customer to refuse an item regardless of reason and smaller sellers/companies have less recourse than larger ones.

This is why it is in the seller's best interest to work with a buyer and find a solution that is mutually beneficial to both parties,even if the buyer is in the wrong. Ultimately if it comes to deciding a case(depending on the credit card contact) the credit card company will support their client, regardless of what verbiage you place in your advertisement and you will lose.

A gentleman's agreement in theory is a wonderful thing. However in practice, the more protections you have in place before the transaction occurs, the better position you will find yourself in should issues arise.

17. atila

atila Well-Known Member

I'm here with the solution and end of the thread.

I bought a pair of PA's from allaboutshoes that were a tad too big. All I did was take them to AE store, told them I got these sent to me as a gift and they were a half size too big. The sales associate informed me that his manager was not there so he couldn't do an outright exchange without a receipt unless the manager signed it off. He also noted that since the shoes were in new condition he was sure it would be no problem. I gave him all my info, left the shoes, took his card, and went home. The next day the manager called and asked me again where I got the shoes - said it was sent to me as a gift. Then they reconfirmed my address and shipped me a pair 1/2 size smaller.

THATS IT!

If you haven't used them, take them to a store, tell them you want to exchange, and tell them you got it as a gift.

Boomshakalaka

/thread

1 person likes this.
  18. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

They had your address in the system?

19. nahneun

nahneun Well-Known Member

He said he gave AE all his info

20. atila

atila Well-Known Member