1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

B&S Buyer wants to return something... Aren't NO returns an unwritten rule of B&S?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by allaboutshoes, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Bonggoy

Bonggoy Well-Known Member

I am the buyer in this transaction. I accept the responsibility of not knowing the written rule here being very new here. I also am aware of the rule of forums.

True, I did went to Nordstrom and was fitted with a brannock device and was suggested by the salesmen for an 8E. I proceeded to order an 8E.

True, I did not like the color after seeing them in person.

I accept responsibility for the above.

Allaboutshoes, were selling the shoes not as private sale but as discounted, brand new, straight from the factory to him to customer merchandises. A certain level of customer service is expected. I mentioned the lack of return/replacement policy in his thread before he made the edit. He then mentioned the B&S rules (I checked and didn't find any) which he changed to unwritten rules.

While I can live with the color, I can't with the size. My feet stopped growing 25 years ago.

We went back and forth about this. He even suggested for me to open a thread, which I did, so the senior members can put their opinion with regards to the unwritten rule. Somebody mentioned paypal but I don't want to go through that. My father told me, everything can be resolved between two gentlemen.

There is another way to handle this which won't cost the vendor anything. AE is willing to accept a return and have it replaced. All they want is the vendor's account name. He refused to do it. He insist on his offer of 15% restocking fee.

I am not trying to dupe anyone here. I know I made a mistake about the sizing. I did tried to find a way to get it settled so it won't cost the vendor anything and minimal cost to me. I did he refuses to cooperate.

2. Fuuma

Fuuma Well-Known Member

I understand that things might be different for vendors who treat the forum as a business center. I'd expect some cooperation on their parts. If it was an individual seller I'd tell you to put the shoes for sale and recoup money that way but businesses using the forum to make bank should be held to an higher standard.

3. Bonggoy

Come on guys. Please stop the name calling.

You don't know me. You've only heard the vendor's side.

Please check my previous post.

Brief, I spoke to Allen Edmonds and they are willing to accept the return from me directly and they will replace it. All they need to know is who the vendor is. It won't cost the vendor anything. He refuses to cooperate.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  4. allaboutshoes

allaboutshoes Well-Known Member

While this may be true, I am not selling them for anywhere near retail price and i'm even discounting models which never EVER go on sale like Park and Fifth Ave and Shell Cordovans. Were i to charge a much higher price, I would agree with you. I also agreed to take back the shoes and just pay 15% to cover the freight which i cover, but he doesn't seem to want to do that either

5. Bonggoy

Please I didn't say I didn't accept the restocking fee. I haven't committed to anything. There is another solution which I offered that won't cost you anything.

6. allaboutshoes

Wait, lets go ask Spoo where he gets all his stuff from. I mean he doesnt lose anything either right? :spam:

7. holmes

holmes Member

That's not true, there are options, but it gets messy very quickly. That's why it is in the best interest of all parties, especially an independent seller to find a way to work things out, without involving paypal. Of course if it is a matter of principle, then one should stand by one's guns and fight to the end; understanding that they may well have the case ruled against them.

8. Bonggoy

I am not even sure what that means.

I tried to keep this private but since you put it out in the open; Help me understand why won't you let me deal directly with Allen Edmonds? It won't cost you anything. I will do everything. You only have to provide your account name. Help me understand please. Gentlemen to gentlemen.

9. freedom_fries

freedom_fries Well-Known Member

Bongoy, I'm struggling to understand how you would think a styleforum B&S seller would be considered an authorized vendor by A&E. Unless the description was misleading or erroneous, you are responsible for your (very discounted) purchase. End of discussion.

10. Bonggoy

Are you saying he is not an authorized seller? I assumed he is based on the large volume and the way he is selling it (any size, any color) that he is ordering directly from A&E.

11. musicguy

musicguy Well-Known Member

He's not a vendor. B&S are private individuals (for the most part) selling items. You are misunderstanding what B&S is. This is not a company.

12. holmes

holmes Member

Bongoy, you need to understand that you are not dealing with a vendor that can afford to just take back merchandise because you decide you don't want them. As you have worn them, the seller can no longer sell them as new and must resell them at a loss. Why should the seller lose money because you have made a purchase in error? How is that fair?

If they were defective, you would have a case and I don't think anyone would be against you. However you admit that the fault lies within yourself and it is there that you must find relief. If the 'vendor' can't provide you the information you desire, because it doesn't exist, then you can't turn to Allen Edmonds for relief; the relief must come from you and the seller.

The only fair solution is that you make the seller whole, by providing a restocking fee so he doesn't lose money due to your error. If 15% is too much to handle, then suggest a fee that is fair; not one that you wish to pay, but one is that is fair.

A restocking fee is not unheard of in cases like this and many vendors with more resources than this seller use them as a way to cover losses that occurs when people return perfectly acceptable merchandise, that the business will have to resell at a loss, because it is now 'used'.

The world isn't fair, but you can be.

13. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Well-Known Member

As far as 'unwritten rules', the oldest 'unwritten rule' of all is, 'caveat emptor' (let the buyer beware). The B&S here is a courtesy provided by the site owner(s). We are very fortunate to enjoy this service and it will be in everyones interest if matters can be resolved in a gentlemanly fashion. In my books, if it is clearly stated in an ad, 'All Sales are Final', then case closed. In this case it was not mentioned by the seller on this item and a return or fair exchange should be honoured, and lesson learned. No one wants to screw anyone on here but there has to be some accountability and responsibility from both parties to ensure a pleasureable experience all around.
    Suggestion: Could there be another pair available from the seller that would please you in trade? You both swallow some shipping; you to return the pair and he to send you a replacement. Could this not resolve matters to mutual satisfaction?

14. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

I'd like to reiterate this point. Our sponsors are retailers and other professions. People selling on B&S are, by-and-large, guys trying to turn a small profit by doing some reselling.

1 person likes this.
  15. XKxRome0ox

XKxRome0ox Well-Known Member

i just purchased a pair of AE verona loafers from allaboutshoes last week
    received the shoes in less than 4 days from time of payment to delivery
    shoes are in perfect condition with box, bag, and even the plastic shoe tree thing
    so i know exactly what to expect when i deal with allaboutshoes

color different than what you expected? buyer's fault for not checking out the item in person
    size different than what you expected? buyer's fault for not checking out the item in person

allaboutshoes has NO obligation to accept a return
    he did not misrepresent the item or send a defective item
    buyer made the mistake of ordering shoes without checking it out and trying on for size

1 person likes this.
  16. AlanC

AlanC Well-Known Member

I have no dog in this hunt, but I am a long time buyer and seller on SF B&S. I have bought items over the years that have not worked for me. I have never asked to return something simply because I didn't like it/it didn't fit when I got it. One of the reason prices are low is that you have a greater risk to reward ratio.

If the item is defective or mislisted then the buyer has a right to expect relief. Under those circumstances I've both sought and given relief.

The buyer should ask the seller if he can use his pictures then simply relist the item. It ain't hard.

Edit: I just noticed who the buyer is, and I want to add that I did recently have a very smooth transaction with him (involving a pair of AE shoes, no less!). There were no glitches at all.

17. Bonggoy

I am trying to resolve this privately with the vendor.

To clarify a few things. I haven't worn the shoes. I put them on and knew right away they were too big. They are still brand new.

When allaboutshoes initially mentioned that I didn't agree with the 15% restocking fee, that was not entirely true. Not knowing his relationship with AE, I contacted AE to get a solution that will benefit us both. AE did offered to take the shoes back and replace it. I offered that solution to allaboutshoes, which he construed to me not agreeing to the 15% stocking fee. I asked him for an explanation to why he won't do it, he brushed me off. It seems he is not an authorized AE dealer so it makes sense - unless this is a wrong assumption again.

I am trying to work this out with allabout shoes privately. I appreciate everyone who put their 2 cents here.

Thank you all and have a nice day.

18. Van Veen

Van Veen Well-Known Member

"Caveat emptor" means that there's no need to put "all sales are final" in the listing. It's implied in every sale unless stated otherwise. The one who should learn a lesson from this is the buyer, not the seller.

19. allaboutshoes

Thank you all for the input. At first i thought i was crazy but seeing that long time members of the forum agree with me, I dont feel guilty anymore as the seller. I tried to be upstanding and agree to accept his return, but he seems to want me to lose money, which I will not do.

20. XKxRome0ox

XKxRome0ox Well-Known Member

you're really sharp, aren't you?

if he IS an authorized AE dealer/reseller/whatever ... he risks losing that relationship if this is reported back to AE
    if he is not an authorized AE dealer/reseller/whatever ... again he risks losing his connection to getting AE products at discount if AE catches on to what is going on

so learn your lesson in buying shoes online without actually trying them on and resell the shoes on your own

1 person likes this.