• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Avoiding Barefoot Shoe Stink

Phiberglass

Reaction score
I've owned my Sperry topsiders, and other similar boat/deck shoes, but this is more about wearing shoes barefoot. These shoes have never stunk until recently. We had a hot week here in LA and I wore a few pairs without socks as I always do. Now they constantly smell horrible. I tried putting them in the freezer to kill the bacteria, but no luck. I wear them for no more than 10 minutes and they start stinking and make my feet stink afterwards as well. What's the deal, any tips? I have a feeling these are pretty much done, so I'll probably be buying some new topsiders.

Anything I should do with these pair or for future pairs to avoid this?

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I read online you can stick the shoes in the freezer for an hour or so and the smell with go away. You could also try bonds foot spray

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Or you could just wear socks. Seriously. Wear the damned socks.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
no show socks

loafer socks.

the moral is to wear friggin socks.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Use foot powder or alternatively baby powder.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No show socks always seem to slide off my feet as I walk.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I highly suggest to you go to a podiatrist to un-gross your feet. They seem rather gross.

Phiberglass

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard
I highly suggest to you go to a podiatrist to un-gross your feet. They seem rather gross.

It's not that, I've worn them fine for years without having them stink. Perhaps they've seen their day and are past the point of no return. I'll probably purchase some newer ones and try some powder/spray in hopes they will last longer. I'm not a big fan of loafer socks and similar, they always fall off my feet.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Good question. Also interested in the answer to this.

Some people have feet that sweat in hot weather more than others. I suspect it's the former that experience smell issues after a while, not the latter.

ComboOrgan

Reaction score
Boat shoes wih socks don't look good to me.

I sprinkle a little Goldbond powder in the shoes after every few wearings. They make a foot powder, but I just use the same stuff I put on my balls.

Dw3610wm

Reaction score
nivea-for-men-dry-antiperspirant-deodorant-size-150-ml.jpg

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Maybe try scouring the insides of the shoes with something like Purell? I'm sure it isn't great for the leather, but if you're gonna toss them anyway, might as well see what happens.

Don't get mad at me when and if this ***** up your shoes, btw. I am offering what I'd consider a highly experimental and risky solution.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics