1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by West24, Dec 18, 2009.

1. celery

celery Well-Known Member

Avatar was retarded. But also brought the most awesome thing ever to the big screen . . . a mech with a knife. Not some laser sword, or gigantic blade-arm, it had a knife.

[​IMG]

I mean, when he busted it out, I was ROFL'ing so hard. Why is something ridiculous like that awesome? Because you have this advance human race which has been peaceful with the Na'vi for the most part, and when they haven't been, they've had no trouble just shooting the shit out of them.

So at what point did some moran at the mech design lab decide that their mech suits needed a sheath and a combat knife? Couldn't they just have built blades into the forearms of the suit? No, they made a separate knife that is to be wielded like normal. That's awesome.

2. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Well-Known Member

Avatar was retarded. But also brought the most awesome thing ever to the big screen . . . a mech with a knife. Not some laser sword, or gigantic blade-arm, it had a knife.

That's a really good call. I never thought about it before. [​IMG]

3. Hombre Secreto

Hombre Secreto Well-Known Member

The knife isn't surprising. Marines love their KA-BAR's. Some Marine consultant probably suggested it and Cameron thought it would look cool.

4. L.R.

L.R. Well-Known Member

I mean, when he busted it out, I was ROFL'ing so hard. Why is something ridiculous like that awesome? Because you have this advance human race which has been peaceful with the Na'vi for the most part, and when they haven't been, they've had no trouble just shooting the shit out of them.

So at what point did some moran at the mech design lab decide that their mech suits needed a sheath and a combat knife? Couldn't they just have built blades into the forearms of the suit? No, they made a separate knife that is to be wielded like normal. That's awesome.

I had a 15 minute argument about this with someone the day I saw the movie. They tried to convince me that a knife was an intelligent choice. I basically gave them the same answer you did.... Serious, you could build an extra gun on the arm, sharpen the edges of the arms. Fuck, make it a swiss-army knife arm.... have like 4 different blades and a bottle opener stuffed in there.... instead they strap a knife to him.....

The actual move wasn't horrible...... I mean, if it was released on its own, with none of the hype and what not... it would have been a sub-par rental. Like... 2 out of 5. Nothing special, or even good, but not horrible either. How it was played up though, and so much attention given to it.... it was just blown out of proportion.

5. Chiaroscuro

Chiaroscuro Well-Known Member

Colonel Quaritch was the shit though. Not as badass as Hicks, but he did alright.

6. tagutcow

tagutcow Well-Known Member

7. Joffrey

Joffrey Well-Known Member

The movie was mindlessly entertaining - provided that I paid nothing to watch it and had nothing else to do. The clichÃ[​IMG]d plot was a little annoying though

8. aphextwin07

aphextwin07 Well-Known Member

Serious, you could build an extra gun on the arm,

they shoulda just brought in ED-209 from Robocop for a cameo.

[​IMG]

9. L.R.

L.R. Well-Known Member

they shoulda just brought in ED-209 from Robocop for a cameo.

[​IMG]

If they had him running around in the background, that'd be great.