1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Austro-Hungarian school of shoemaking

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by fritzl, Feb 26, 2008.

1. forex

forex Well-Known Member

Thanks fritzl,is this pebble grain?What is the turn around time to get a pair?

2. comrade

comrade Well-Known Member

The shoes are sublime!
    Price ?

3. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

Thanks fritzl,is this pebble grain?What is the turn around time to get a pair?

I thought all these shoes were already made and fritzl is finding them good homes, but I could be wrong.

4. B2C2V

B2C2V Well-Known Member

My shoes arrived yesterday. They couldn't be nicer, and the quality is at least at the same level as the other high end Austro-Hungarian shoes I have seen, if not better. The work is very clean, and the leather is beautiful. The last is traditional, yet more elegant than most of the trad A-H lasts. Very, very nice.

Excellent feedback - to me it is like a Highly Recommended endorsement from the Consumer Report. When you get a chance, would appreciate a pic of WAYWRN with the shoes.

5. Concordia

Concordia Well-Known Member

On the courtesy of LARon aka Sleevehead,

I found a picture(a very rare find on the net) of a shoe made by Otto Bartkiewicz.

[​IMG]

Bartkiewicz must be in his eighties now. I have been told, he is/was the best shoemaker in Vienna. Mr. Maftei said to me, that he has never seen a more refined handstitching, and he has seen a lot.

See the whole blog entry: http://sleevehead.blogspot.com/search/label/knize

Now THAT's a great-looking shoe. Beatiful proportions, on top of the allegedly fine stitching.

Add a curved vamp seam as on the Szabo variant, and you have perfection.

1 person likes this.
  6. Concordia

Concordia Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These work for me, also.

7. fritzl

fritzl Well-Known Member

I thought all these shoes were already made and fritzl is finding them good homes, but I could be wrong.

you are absolutely right and i invite you to the "operation paprika" club.

here is the story:

mr. kiss made shoes with all his heartblood. it is 15 years ago, i met him first. these are the best shoes i own.

but there is also a bit of sadness involved. he is 85 and he has to take care of a mental handicapped son and his wife sitting in the wheelchair.

he cannot stop working, but i/we can help him out to sell some shoes people, didn't pick up or forgot about them.

it is my vision and deepest wish to give some charity to this brave man.

i really appreciate your support.

thanks again and thanks for listening.

ps: certainly we paid mr. kiss in advance. so he is not bothered about the sales success.

8. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Well-Known Member

Excellent feedback - to me it is like a Highly Recommended endorsement from the Consumer Report. When you get a chance, would appreciate a pic of WAYWRN with the shoes.
    I will. I'm in the desert for a bit, and the shoes are not great with shorts, but the next time I wear them, I will definitely take a pic. You really cannot go wrong with them, and the pictures are very good representations of the last shape.

9. fritzl

fritzl Well-Known Member

Thanks fritzl,is this pebble grain?

yes, it is pebble grain. i wore mine today... ...with shorts [​IMG]

10. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

I don't know what my size would be. I only have tried two Vass lasts, and I am a 46 in U and 45.5 in F. I have never tried one of the more traditional lasts.

11. fritzl

fritzl Well-Known Member

I don't know what my size would be. I only have tried two Vass lasts, and I am a 46 in U and 45.5 in F. I have never tried one of the more traditional lasts.

hmmh, so matt trusted my gut feeling [​IMG] and it went ok.

just provide your measurements from one of your bespoke shoes and we can work it out.

12. fritzl

fritzl Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

after michaelay329 cancelled his order(wife, too much shoes ordered, the usual stuff [​IMG] ), methinks, you should pull the trigger... [​IMG]

13. Michael Ay329

Michael Ay329 Well-Known Member

Fritzl, wifey had nothing to do with it, my heart is set on a Budapester blucher for sure...but I didn't want black calf and I prefer a longwing version. I like the rear steel heel corner plate [​IMG] Come summer time I'll consider purchasing a very dark brown budapester with a crepe sole. Dinkelacker can make it but am unsure if Vass offers crepe soles Its nice to see and how you and Manton are back on talking terms given your exchanges focus on the heart of what SF is about...the exchange of ideas and information on stylish articles of clothing. [​IMG]

14. fritzl

fritzl Well-Known Member

Fritzl, wifey had nothing to do with it,...

michael, i was just kidding [​IMG]
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    michael:
    Come summer time I'll consider purchasing a very dark brown budapester with a crepe sole. Dinkelacker can make it but am unsure if Vass offers crepe soles

hmmh, i prefer vass to dinkelacker. but this is just a gut feeling. i don't owe either...

if vass does not offer crepe soles, they can be "installed" aftermarket easily. imo, crepe doesn't need to be sewn.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    michael:
    Its nice to see and how you and Manton are back on talking terms given your exchanges focus on the heart of what SF is about...the exchange of ideas and information on stylish articles of clothing. [​IMG]

yes, i appreciate this, too. the cracking point was the "night of the truth"(whnay's small timer thread, epic). manton told me a lot between the lines, great [​IMG]

15. gnatty8

gnatty8 Well-Known Member

I will. I'm in the desert for a bit, and the shoes are not great with shorts, but the next time I wear them, I will definitely take a pic. You really cannot go wrong with them, and the pictures are very good representations of the last shape.

Looking forward to seeing pics.. I may yet take the plunge..

16. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

I am confused, because I was out of town for the small timer thread and did not post in it as I recall.

Anyway, if those shoes are black, I am not interested, I definitely want brown in some shade or other if I am going to do this. They looked dark brown to me in the pics.

17. fritzl

fritzl Well-Known Member

I definitely want brown in some shade or other if I am going to do this. They looked dark brown to me in the pics.
    it's a blueish grey. pigeon blue or whatever u can call it. next trip will be in 2 or 3 weeks. there was a look a like in your size. eu 42,5 [​IMG] i keep you updated.

18. dopey

dopey Well-Known Member

it's a blueish grey. pigeon blue or whatever u can call it.

next trip will be in 2 or 3 weeks. there was a look a like in your size.

eu 42,5

[​IMG]

i keep you updated.

Those are great.

19. fritzl

fritzl Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Those are great.

20. fritzl

fritzl Well-Known Member

browsing through my correspondence as of late, i found a message from marcellhun of koronya shoes budapest:

marcellhun wrote:

HI fritzl,

This(noted: "operation paprika") is the nicest thing I have ever seen in this forums! Thanks for this in the name of the whole shoemaker society. I hope you can help this old man. Actually in old times shoemaker made guilts and did this kind of charity work. It is a shame that this 85 old man still has to work for money. I try to help if I can.