1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CHECKstar

CHECKstar Well-Known Member

Just on an afternoon stroll and stopped by that (weird) KB Outlet near the corner of Bourke and Elizabeth street. They have a few new racks of jackets all of which seem to be $99 – only catch is that they are all three button (tweed, cotton and wool). For those Melbournians who can rock a three button jacket, check it out, I was almost tempted by a unstructured, unlined dark blue/navy cotton number with patch pockets.

2. CHECKstar

Tomorrow PG - unwanted knit ties and pocket squares are high on my agenda!

3. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Well-Known Member

I picked up one of these. Good casual jacket. For $99 bucks it was impossible to resist.

4. CHECKstar

Agreed – but 3 button stance is a deal breaker for me :(

5. mh4k

mh4k New Member

My shoes arrived from afinepairofshoes.co.uk today - excellent customer service throughout the ordering process from Sarah.

These are the the Alfred Sargent Moore Adelaide cap in vintage cherry, and they are rather nice if I do say so myself. Particularly love the waist treatment on them. And best of all the fit, which is a relief. Apologies for the crappy photos but I am at work [​IMG]

I also ordered the handmade lasted shoe trees, which will take another couple of months to arrive, though to be honest the cheapy cedar trees (£25) fit the shoe so well I'm wondering if the lasted ones will really be worth the considerable (£80) additional expense.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. MickyD

MickyD Well-Known Member

weird is an understatement.... that place has been 'closing down - everything must go' for well over 12 months now.

7. streetminimal

streetminimal Well-Known Member

Can someone vouch for the Rhodes and Beckett ties?

8. blahman

blahman Well-Known Member

^^ Probably they can't close until they are all gone :p

I tried on one of those unlined unstructured jackets last year. Too generously cut for me and the fit was all sorts of weird. I've tried a few more unstructured jackets since and none of them really fit me. I guess my body isn't really built for unstructured jackets.

What is KB's history anyway? And where do they source their stuff?

9. blahman

blahman Well-Known Member

A good few of us probably have a certain R&B knit tie :laugh:

10. joiji

joiji Well-Known Member

Any chance of a pic? Been looking for a super casual dark blue jacket and these might fit the bill? And would you be willing to proxy one over to me? [​IMG]

Country Road did a linen one last season. Can't believe I missed it.

11. tobiasj

tobiasj Well-Known Member

I agree, I tried one on too and found them to be very strange. Boglioli on the cheap they ain't.

12. Naka

Naka Well-Known Member

Only the knits are worth it. The four R&B ties I have all pull like crazy and can't hold a dimple to save their lives. After I tidy them up I will be donating them.

13. CHECKstar

Really? I scored one a couple of years back at a sale and have had no issues with it other than it is a touch on the long side (hello 2 x 4). Maybe different suppliers?

14. lachyzee

lachyzee Well-Known Member

I only have one R&B tie, but I disagree. I own this one:

http://www.rhodesbeckett.com.au/products.php?s=12-812-8121-229217

[​IMG]

I've only had it for a few months, but it's held up very well. One of my favourites actually.

Last edited: May 14, 2012
  15. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Well-Known Member

16. streetminimal

streetminimal Well-Known Member

It'd also be great if I could get a pair of these:
    [​IMG]

17. smeggett

smeggett Well-Known Member

So, I'm looking for some sage local advice...

I was out at a wedding-type function (long story) on Saturday night and when I returned to my hotel room I noticed a small dark red spot on my C&J Westbourne shoes. Red wine I'm guessing. At the time I licked my finger and sort of rubbed it a little, but it seemed to almost take the color out of the leather which i though was a little odd. So, it being late and all, i put the trees in and the shoes back in their protective bags to look at another day. Checking them tonight, I see that some of the color has indeed come out of the leather...

[​IMG]

As you can clearly see here in two spots. My query is how to remedy. I know I can polish them up, but would prefer it if I could get away without using a color polish to restore the original color (since I like them that way and all). Is this something a leather conditioner would fix, or is it a polish -only type job?

All advice gratefully received prior to trying internet sourced (and not necessarily tested) solutions.

Cheers

18. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Well-Known Member

I don't think conditioner will fix it, you will most likely need to use a colored polish or cream. Think about it, if the colour has been removed, the only way it will come back is by using something to introduce colour back. I'd prob just try and dab on those spots to even it up. Then condition it then do a full even coat of polish and buff the crap out of them. And don't sweat it too much, spots and nicks give shoes character over time.

19. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Well-Known Member

Guys a quick update on our tie project. Order was placed last week and I was told 3 weeks roughly, so let's say 4 weeks accounting for any delays that might come up. Once on their way I'll let everyone know, they ship with DHL so only take 3-4 days to get here normally. Once they arrive basically the quicker you pay the balance the quicker you'll get the tie. I'll issue payment requests to everyone leading up to their arrival to keep track though. I'll keep everyone up to speed if anything changes.

Cheers
    Jason

20. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Well-Known Member

Great Jason. Looking forward to it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.