1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. budgiesmuggler

budgiesmuggler Well-Known Member

Re shipping forwarders I've used a few, best is hop shop go. They are really cheap, they have negotiated cheap rates with the courier companies and are in part supported by PayPal.

I actually sent their rates to another shipping company and they were shocked at how cheap it was.

Cost me $150 to have skis and bindings shipped to Au.

2. budgiesmuggler

budgiesmuggler Well-Known Member

And the wedding suits, gf said if she's paying $6000 for a photographer and videographer she wants the guys to match.... That's how it is I suppose.

3. blahman

blahman Well-Known Member

1 person likes this.
  4. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Well-Known Member

5. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

Well, there you go I guess.

Blahman and me will do video and pics for $4,000.

Does it really cost $6k for that?

6. joiji

joiji Well-Known Member

7. Plestor

Plestor Well-Known Member

You know the ones pictured in this thread are from the lower line right?

8. md2010

md2010 Well-Known Member

Now if i only had $12k laying around somewhere ......
    $12k is not a small sum. I think if you know people you could do it for 1/4 of that cost ...... lol

9. MickyD

MickyD Well-Known Member

love the lugs and bracelet end pieces on that, very nice looking watch.

10. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Well-Known Member

Belated birthday wishes GN. Those are some beautiful loafers. Look forward to seeing them in an outfit. Did you ever see Forward Fitting's Week of Suede (Part 1 and 2)?

http://forwardfitting.tumblr.com/post/14510665316/a-week-in-suede-in-review-day-1-sid-mashburn
    http://forwardfitting.tumblr.com/post/20007389103/a-week-in-suede-pt-ii-recap-day-1-sid

A week of shell to look forward to here...

11. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Suit: Herringbone
    Shirt: Benjamin
    Tie: Henry Carter Neckwear maroon dot
    Shoes: Carmina Burgundy

12. meister

meister Well-Known Member

Conservative but sharp!

13. meister

meister Well-Known Member

No way anyone should use yous guys. It was be a straight trip to a Fair Trading enquiry. There is no way you two would deliver what you promise.....

Last edited: May 7, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  14. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Well-Known Member

Thanks, yeah had to stay conservative today. I've got a meeting with one of the very secretive (and conservative) government agencies today for my 9-5 job so didn't want anything too bright..

15. blahman

I'm trying to decide between the brown, khaki and beige. Beige seems quite a bit lighter in the wild photo, not sure how brown canvas would look and how khaki would work with suits. Or whether I should spend $200 on canvas bag since I don't know the value of canvas though sounds like it is high quality tough as hell natural canvas.

16. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Well-Known Member

Jason, very sharp, man!

blahman, those three colours would be my choice as well. The canvas does look pretty tough as well. I know what you mean about the canvas with suits but leather will push up the price unless you manage to get something secondhand. If you could wait, I'd suggest putting aside some more cash and getting something in leather - if it's any consolation, I believe you can write it off your taxes since it's for work.

PS, thanks for the birthday wishes! Yes, I saw the Week of Suede post when you mentioned it here some time back. Great ideas there.

Day 2 in the Week of Shell:

[​IMG][​IMG] and a shot in the sunlight: [​IMG]

Jacket: Polo
    Shirt: Rhodes & Beckett
    Tie: Kent Wang
    Pocket Square: Gieves & Hawkes
    Trousers: Polo
    Shoes: C&J for Ralph Lauren Marlow

Just noticed it's a Ralph Lauren day!

17. blahman

For about the same price, full grain leather bags can be had from even Strandbags, Herring and Pediwear. But The styling of those is overly staple conservative (i.e boring) with flap and double pocket etc. There seems to be some sort of price/style chasm for leather bags, where you can get full grain leather bags for $160-250 easily, but then you wont get anything up-to-date in terms of styling up till $400+ mark. To make matters worse 90% of mens business bags stocked in Australia seem to be just black. Pisses me off.

Last edited: May 7, 2012
  18. lachyzee

lachyzee Well-Known Member

We must be shipping different things, but personally I have never found them to be cheaper than Shipito. Shipito also has a much bigger range of shipping options, consolidation options, warehouses, multiple package discounts with couriers etc.

The other thing that annoys me about HSG is the Paypal requirement to get their discount (which is the only thing that makes them even slightly competitive with Shipito in my experience). This means you can't use a credit card (ie 28 degrees mastercard) and are stuck with shitty Paypal exchange rates. Not a big deal on small purchases, but you start to see a large difference once you're buying anything expensive.

19. Selvaggio

Selvaggio Well-Known Member

Are you in Sydney? Austen Brothers are doing suit, shirt, tie and links for $399. No idea as to quality, but they look okay and its close to your budget.

20. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Well-Known Member

Can you ask ASIO for a copy of my file? Photocopy will be fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.