1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. meister

meister Well-Known Member

Her body shape really doesn't help. It's like some parts of her frame (mainly her hips and arse) have been melted down, thus looking completely out of proportion with the rest of her. She aso has done that rather post-modern thing of showing off the fact she's a ginger with some ridiculously overblown haircuts.

Plus, she walks like a clown.

So, in summary; finding clothes to cover that concoction of a frame wouldn't be easy.

+1 the first bloke seems to be absent all of a sudden and the roots need doing as well....[​IMG]

2. Sydguy

Sydguy Well-Known Member

Maybe the PM has to dress down to score votes from the "working class" can't understand why on 300k per year they don't get clothes that at least fit.
    Tony seems OK but maybe that is through my liberal voting glasses.
    I have been wearing vests to work, the sportscraft wool jobs, which I thought were great as my suits especially the herringbone ones have super high arm holes. What is the SF consensus on vests... people wear them much?

3. __PG__

__PG__ Well-Known Member

I just wear V-neck jumpers that are thin enough to fit under my suit jacket.

4. Tarlee

Tarlee Well-Known Member

What is the SF consensus on vests... people wear them much?

My consensus of 1 says: do it.

But call it a waistcoat, not a vest.

I often wear odd waistcoats with suits to work. Mid grey with a charcoal suit. A darkish mustard. Even a muted green-cream-claret tartan. I was a little tentative but only ever get compliments.

Other than in retro or op shops they are not easy to find. Anything I see in retailers is precisely wrong -- they're pinstripes and look like orphans.

5. __PG__

__PG__ Well-Known Member

I'd like to wear 3-piece suits in the cooler months, but finding them via retail is next to impossible. You have some luck with o/s sales (either new or 2nd hand) on the internet.

6. CHECKstar

CHECKstar Well-Known Member

I'd like to wear 3-piece suits in the cooler months, but finding them via retail is next to impossible. You have some luck with o/s sales (either new or 2nd hand) on the internet.

After receiving an email from their mailing list the other day adverting a sale, I saw that Dom Bagnato is stocking a few three piece suits in their stores. Then on Friday I was in Melbourne Central and thought I would take a peek. As mentioned a few pages back, I am on a three piece binge at the moment, and am only considering new suits that come with a waist coat. Prices were around $650 from memory but I think the wait coats were sold separate.

I decided it wasn't for me, mainly because I have way too many Dom Bagnato suits and they no longer fit me properly in the shoulders. Not sure what you think of their suits, but for a two year period a while back when I didnt know any better I only bought Dom Bagnato suits, hence the mailing list.

7. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

After receiving an email from their mailing list the other day adverting a sale, I saw that Dom Bagnato is stocking a few three piece suits in their stores. Then on Friday I was in Melbourne Central and thought I would take a peek. As mentioned a few pages back, I am on a three piece binge at the moment, and am only considering new suits that come with a waist coat. Prices were around $650 from memory but I think the wait coats were sold separate.

I decided it wasn't for me, mainly because I have way too many Dom Bagnato suits and they no longer fit me properly in the shoulders. Not sure what you think of their suits, but for a two year period a while back when I didnt know any better I only bought Dom Bagnato suits, hence the mailing list.

I haven't looked at Dom Bagnato suits for about five years but back then they were pretty ordinary indeed. I was also given one of his shirts as a birthday present at around the same time and it is the only shirt I have had where the collar fusing bubbled - and that happened after about three wearings!

8. raybert

raybert Well-Known Member

Was in David Jones (Queens Plaza - Brisbane) on Friday. Florsheim Cedar Shoe Trees - Made in the USA discounted to $27.96 from $39.95.

9. ned kelly

ned kelly Active Member

A lot in what you say...interestingly for years Harrolds used to run an outlet store opposite Henry Bucks which had lotsa great stuff.
    Harrolds,until recentlyused to have an outlet store in Toorak Road.They had an end of lease sale for that shop. I don't know if the have a new outlet store.

10. Tarlee

Tarlee Well-Known Member

Was in David Jones (Queens Plaza - Brisbane) on Friday. Florsheim Cedar Shoe Trees - Made in the USA discounted to $27.96 from $39.95.

Thanks for the tip. It's hard to find deals on trees. I'll check Melbourne store.

Thought DJs sale was ordinary this year but a few good things turning up at the end. Cashmere jumpers were about $430 down to $140 or thereabouts and RL linen trousers at about $120.

11. yoshii

yoshii Well-Known Member

Where abouts in DJs were these $140 cashmere jumpers?
    I might go have a look tomorrow.

12. Tarlee

Tarlee Well-Known Member

Yoshi,
    In the suit area of the Bourke Street store. They're D'Urban and only one colour -- a versatile fawn/truffle. There's a table with various knitwear just before you get to the Zegna section. Check out the Ralph Lauren summer trousers at about 70% off too.

13. __PG__

__PG__ Well-Known Member

14. Sydguy

Sydguy Well-Known Member

PG I own two pairs of Loake L1's which do not have those holes. Given they are 1880 you should seek to return them or get a decent credit towards another pair of shoes if returning them is very expensive... cost me A$90 to send som Loake Pimlico's back!

I got my shirt from Bawden Bespoke today. I am happy with the fit in so far as I can wear a tie and breathe, the sleeves are long enough and it is slim fitting. The shirt is getting cleaned/pressed and will be worn Friday so I can post a few pics over the weekend.

It feels great, is precisely the colour I was after, the attention to detail appears very high so I really hope it shrinks just a touch and wears well. Looks like this sucker has bought his last RTW shirt! $117 a pop with the 20% discount which is still going.

Anyone checked out the new 3Wise Men shop in Midcity Centre Sydney? I took a fast peak, it is a tiny store and the shirts all a bit loud. $120 a piece you can get slim & short or generous & long thats your two options. The ties look great, a fwe knit ones if anyone is into that.

15. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

PG I own two pairs of Loake L1's which do not have those holes. Given they are 1880 you should seek to return them or get a decent credit towards another pair of shoes if returning them is very expensive... cost me A$90 to send som Loake Pimlico's back!
    I sent a pair of Pimlicos back - wrong size - i'm sure it only cost around $40 - dear enough i thought.

16. Sydguy

Sydguy Well-Known Member

The size of mine were fine but the fit was not good. I based the purchase on how Kemptons fit me, which I tried on at DJ's. VEry disappointed.
    My problem is having UK10.5 feet when I get plain shoes my feet look a bit long, especially in fitted suit pants. I am sticking to cap toes and brogues at the moment.
    Not sure how to go with casual suede shoes, might have the same problem with desert boots, so if I can find some suede casual shoes with cap toe or something that breaks up the length I will be all over them.

17. johnannemarie

johnannemarie Well-Known Member

I got my shirt from Bawden Bespoke today. I am happy with the fit in so far as I can wear a tie and breathe, the sleeves are long enough and it is slim fitting. The shirt is getting cleaned/pressed and will be worn Friday so I can post a few pics over the weekend.

It feels great, is precisely the colour I was after, the attention to detail appears very high so I really hope it shrinks just a touch and wears well. Looks like this sucker has bought his last RTW shirt! $117 a pop with the 20% discount which is still going

Anyone checked out the new 3Wise Men shop in Midcity Centre Sydney? I took a fast peak, it is a tiny store and the shirts all a bit loud. $120 a piece you can get slim & short or generous & long thats your two options. The ties look great, a fwe knit ones if anyone is into that.

ive completed my sizing on their site. Ive chosen 3 shirts, even better with the 20% off.
    Well i went into all three parker and co's in Perth on the weekend. I tried on a few zegna couture suits, then settled on a silk/wool blend versace suit. I got the waist pinched a little bit to give a more fitted look. I will be picking it up this friday, cant wait!. Whilst im there i will get a trofeo and a few pairs of dark wash armani jeans tailored.

18. yoshii

yoshii Well-Known Member

Yoshi,
    In the suit area of the Bourke Street store. They're D'Urban and only one colour -- a versatile fawn/truffle. There's a table with various knitwear just before you get to the Zegna section. Check out the Ralph Lauren summer trousers at about 70% off too.

Thanks, i had a look yesterday but nothing in my size.
    There was one navy in XL and 3 off those fawn/truffle coloured ones in M-XL for anyone else interested.
    I was in a hurry so didn't ask if they had more sizes available.

19. ryanohare

ryanohare Well-Known Member

The size of mine were fine but the fit was not good. I based the purchase on how Kemptons fit me, which I tried on at DJ's. VEry disappointed.
    My problem is having UK10.5 feet when I get plain shoes my feet look a bit long, especially in fitted suit pants. I am sticking to cap toes and brogues at the moment.
    Not sure how to go with casual suede shoes, might have the same problem with desert boots, so if I can find some suede casual shoes with cap toe or something that breaks up the length I will be all over them.

You and me both brother.

If you find any that don't make you look like a clown, feel free to post pics here too.

20. johnannemarie

johnannemarie Well-Known Member

You and me both brother.

If you find any that don't make you look like a clown, feel free to post pics here too.

You think you have it bad, try sz 12.5!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.