1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. meister

meister Well-Known Member

Are the Antichi Telai linen suits at AUD450?

2. meister

meister Well-Known Member

I have used all the above polishes. I must say I agree on Saph Renov for shell though Venetian Creme is the best and recommended by Horween. I find that Kiwi still gives the best polish to good shoes FWIW. I think it is better than Angelus for instance.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  3. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

Kiwi and Wapro both started off in Melbourne. Nothing wrong with either.

4. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

I spotted a juicy Harris Tweed, with Harris tag, by Sears USA in a vintage shop. $55. Size 40 R . Single vent. Buggy lined. Wide ish lapels, fantastic colours, multiple colours Ina herringbone weave. Brown, gold red and others , looked great. I spied one small hole in back. A bit bigger and I would have snaffled it for sure. Also a big bunch of pink RL polo Oxford button downs 100% cotton. Most slightly used. One Brooke's white Oxford BD looked a bit grubby possible NOS.

5. tobiasj

tobiasj Well-Known Member

Anyone interested in the Rhodes & Beckett sale on today & tmrw?

6. lennier

lennier Well-Known Member

I have one of their shirts that I got for my wedding back in pre SF days. It fits well but I don't know how their current prices compare to the alternatives. Collars and cuffs appear to be fused but general workmanship seems ok to my relatively uncritical eye. Louka was nice to deal with, I didn't meet Dani.

7. thebrownman

thebrownman Well-Known Member

Only if there's an SF-approved knit tie up for grabs. Perhaps a pocket square. Their shirts and suits don't interest me, but 40% off is certainly a good offer. Anyone know anything about their women's range? My girlfriend needs to acquire a work wardrobe.

8. thebrownman

9. macklondon

macklondon Member

10. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Well-Known Member

11. Selvaggio

Selvaggio Well-Known Member

Depends what you want to wear them with. As mentioned before, I have a pair of cap-toes in cigar and it is both richer and lighter than it appears on that site. It is literally the colour of a cigar. Alden pair cigar with the lighter 'plywood' looking soles. So, overall, cigar is more casual - in fact, I feel it a little casual for my workplace - though I do wear it with mid greys and my one 'lighter' navy. The #8, however, you could wear with just about anything...hard to get a matching belt though.

I wonder why they are different prices?

12. thebrownman

Thanks guys! I'll probably get Color 8 because as you mentioned Selvaggio, it will likely pair with more things and can be worn in a somewhat dressier fashion. I have both colours in different shoes at the moment, and the cigar does appear lighter than it does i those photos.

The Cigar often comes with an antique edge trim, which is nice. It looks nice on Color 8 shoes too. As for the different prices between colours of shell, it's to do with the fact that certain colours of shell (cigar, ravello, whiskey) require more "perfect" or uniform shells to begin with. The non-porous nature of shell makes it difficult for these lighter colours to mask the imperfections in the shell and so you'll end up with a splotchy result. As for black and colour 8, they cover it up it seems.

Belt isn't a big issue cause I never wear one :D

13. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

Everybody's favourite whinger and rent seeker Gerry Harvey is spouting his nonsense again and blaming the guvmint for his woes.

One of the rewarding aspects of reading the drivel that Harvey lets slip is gaining an insight into how retailers gouge Australian customers.

A simple person, like myself, might be led to conclude that if a year ago Harvey Norman was selling TVs for $699 that now sell for $299, then perhaps a year ago we were being charged $400 too much for a TV. Thats about 230% excess.

''The price of everything has just gone crashing down, and that's really affected our business so we're concentrating now on other products, and TV and audio has to take a smaller percentage of our shop,'' Mr Harvey said.

Not that it will be easy making any transition from computers and electronics, which have been a big part of the company's business, he said.

The problem is, the price erosion has become so bad the retailer can no longer contemplate selling its way back to a healthy position.

Mr Harvey used the example of a 32-inch colour TV advertised recently for $299. ''We were selling those things for $699 a year ago.

http://www.theage.com.au/business/harvey-blasts-canberra-20111129-1o557.html

14. truevision

truevision Well-Known Member

What colour is that knit tie that everyone else has? Called up the Chadstone store to ask if they have any knit ties, dont think the SA had any idea what they were..

15. lennier

Exactly fxh, and I am equally simple. The man is becoming his own worst enemy lately, very amusing.

16. lennier

Originally it was the plain burgundy one, lately the burgundy with navy stripes has been grabbed by some.

17. fox81

fox81 Well-Known Member

is there a shoemart sale im not aware of?

18. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Well-Known Member

No one bloody likes him. The vitriol on The Age article's comments section is universally shared. He wants the whole country to go into the type of deep debt that he encourages his customers to take on to buy his overpriced crap.

19. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Well-Known Member

Money mustn't buy happiness. He seems like a miserable c#nt.

20. MickyD

MickyD Well-Known Member

my partner has a couple of their shirts, and she complains that the button aligment is wrong, meaning when her boobs stretch them, there's a gap which you can see through.

don't see the problem myself :D

more seriously, I'd been told their new range was going to be in-store on the 28th (i.e. Monday) so was planning to get the PoW check blue suit that's all over their marketing material at the moment, but no joy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.