1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. giangc

giangc New Member

Hey guys. One of my friends got me onto this forum after seeing one of my photos being posted up here. I'm the streetstyle photographer of www.t-t-l-g.com. I'm also the well-dressed Melbourne Central Country Road sales assistant wearing the Drakes knitted tie, double monks and silk pocket square.

After a couple weeks of lurking, I thought I should introduce myself and present a proposition. For Remembrance Day, I'm planning on doing a series of photos featuring well dressed people wearing poppies. I'm trying to get as many people as possible and would love some extra bodies. If anyone here is interested to be photographed sometime today, tomorrow or wednesday in the Melbourne CBD (or close) please let DM me or something. The whole process should take no longer than 5 minutes and I can easily come to where you are.

Regardless, looking forward to being more active in the forum in the near future!

2. __PG__

__PG__ Well-Known Member

Depends if its new or old stock. Azzaro recently brought in a batch of solid charcoal Antichi Telai suits. 2-button..I think peak lapel. In all (regular) sizes. He also has a one or two left in various sizes from the last time they managed to secure a shipment.

3. fox81

fox81 Well-Known Member

what does this mean?

and are you providing the poppy?

4. giangc

giangc New Member

Yes, I will supply poppies if you don't already have one.

DM was supposed to stand for direct message. Sorry, it's twitter lingo. What I meant to say was PM (private message) me.

5. mdudders

mdudders Member

I am after some new dress shoes. I am looking to spend ~$300, I am in Sydney. Any suggestions?

6. jaypee

jaypee Well-Known Member

RMWs

If you ask where to toppy them, i'm going to lose my sh.t

7. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Well-Known Member

lol.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  8. tobiasj

tobiasj Well-Known Member

*Sigh* Loakes from Pediwear.

9. MickyD

MickyD Well-Known Member

half the appeal of this thread was the lack of snarkiness compared to the rest of the forum.... some of that snarkiness is starting to sneak in here lately.....

just sayin....

10. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Well-Known Member

11. jobro

jobro Well-Known Member

Look at it this way. When I come in here I am expecting to discuss mens clothing in Australia. I avoid other areas of the forum because I'm not interested in them.

After a couple of years, most of the questions in this thread start to becoming repeated and/or tiresome (like the ones stated above by The Ernesto). I know everyone has got to start somewhere, however this thread isn't the only place Australian members can post, there is the rest of the forum that often is a lot more appropriate and most of the time, already has the answers. The 'Ask A Question, Get An Answer' thread is very good and will often generate better answers than this thread, generally from very educated members.

Edit: I don't know whether many of you have noticed but most of the senior Australian members of this forum no longer visit or contribute to this thread. Generally because a lot of new members are coming in here to take the knowledge of others without bothering to do any work for themselves first eg, questions about P. Johnson - who better to ask than P. Johnson? Or why not ring up the retailer to find out what sizes in stock instead of relying on somebody to go into the store and check for you?

12. jaypee

jaypee Well-Known Member

Ha its all in good fun mate, no one here takes it to heart. One of our nations best attributes

13. lachyzee

lachyzee Well-Known Member

Having just gone through this process myself, I can also add Allen Edmonds (from Endless or Nordstrom) to the standard Herring/Pediwear recommendation.

My AE Fifth Avenues (RRP $324.95) from Endless (with a 20% discount code) came to $250 AUD shipped (really they were only $230 though, see below). Shipping to Aus with endless is free (Nordstrom have a flat $20 rate, but have more widths in stock for some shoes).

Shipping is also much, much quicker than Pediwear. My order was placed at 12:48pm on Nov 4th. I received them today, Nov 7th, at 3.30pm (!).

To my mind, AEs seem to be a much nicer shoe than the standard Loakes I have too (at least on par with the Loake 1880 line, if not better. I certainly prefer them, the leather seems much nicer).

AE also seem to make almost all their shoes in a broad array of widths (AAA-EEE). if you have a narrow foot like me, this is a godsend. It's nigh on impossible to get anything other than an F or G in Loakes - and if you can, there is very limited range.

To top it off ebates.com gives you 7.5% cash back with endless.com - meaning that I will also get $20 credited to my paypal account soon.

14. MickyD

MickyD Well-Known Member

it happens on every forum I've ever been on - classic case of the Community Life Cycle:

http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?CommunityLifeCycle

http://www.psawa.com/UnderstandingCommunities.html#Lifecycle

15. thebrownman

thebrownman Well-Known Member

What does everyone here favour in terms of eyewear?

Either optical frames requiring prescription lenses, or sunglasses?

16. MickyD

MickyD Well-Known Member

I have a pet hate for licensed eyewear brands which in reality are all made by Luxottica or similar companies (Dior, Prada, Tom Ford, Chanel, etc etc etc). A bit like clothes, there are eyewear manufacturers who make quality frames, but 90% of people would have never heard of them.

Currently I have Morel Oga's similar to these (though black, not blue) with Rodenstock lenses - The lenses were a custom grind so took a while to arrive.
    [​IMG]

next up I'm looking at these: (Beausoleil b01)
    [​IMG]

they're a cotton acetate blend, so kind of look like they're made of wood, without the attendant maintenance issues that wood frames tend to have

(there are some wooden Morel's which are amazing, but not really suitable for everyday wear apparently):
    [​IMG]

the biggest problem is being a -9.5 prescription with a strong astigmatism.... a set of decent lenses is $600-800, and that's before you add frames.....

I can strongly recommend Look Occhiali in Flinders Lane, the guy in there who cuts the lenses does an awesome job, he set mine back in the frame so they don't protrude at all despite being about 6-8mm thick at the edges. He really knows his stuff.

17. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Well-Known Member

For the last few years, I've been going to a shop called I-spex in Johnson St, Fitzroy (near Smith St).

I've been buying frames from them made by an Australian designer called Roger Henley. The acetates used in these frames are very strong. With my last pair I stood directly on top of them with my full weight, carrying a heavy box; they only bent slightly and were still quite wearable.

There's a huge array of models and colour combinations. I am currently wearing this frame, in a plain sea-green colour.

Of course this way is expensive. It is much cheaper to buy overseas, if that is your priority.

18. jobro

jobro Well-Known Member

I tend to lose a lot of my (prescription) glasses. I now get them from classicspecs.com and clearlycontacts.com.au - both of which I would recommend.

19. MickyD

MickyD Well-Known Member

I've seen those Roger Henley frames - I like them a lot, but probably a bit OTT for me unfortunately :)

20. thebrownman

thebrownman Well-Known Member

Yeah, nice. Roger Henley's stuff is very nice indeed.

MickyD, don't worry about OTT - if you like it, fuck 'em and wear it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.