1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Axel Ferguson

Axel Ferguson Well-Known Member

If you somehow feel a half Windsor is too large, you can always try a Pratt knot. Think a half Windsor would be fine with that though. Just have a look in the mirror and try a couple.

e:

Also, yes, how did you manage this? Are your pocket squares arranged in a particular way? Like a bat signal for Melburnian styleforum users?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  2. appolyon

appolyon Well-Known Member

3. __PG__

__PG__ Well-Known Member

I recognised him by his well-cared-for Loake Knightsbridges (which look much lighter in colour ...almost tan..than the new ones in Henry Bucks), his check Caruso suit, glasses and his close-cropped hairstyle.

I now know why I keep bumping into him, his building is adjacent to mine.

4. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

re the tie - disregarding the sartorial steeple jump crash that is the Melbourne Cup for a minute..

That collar is a spread. A tie should form a triangle with the knot - or a variation on a triangle.

The upper points of the triangle should sit under the collar so that no unknotted tie shows at either side. This is true for any collar really.

As long as this is achieved it doesn't matter a lot, or rather it is personal preference, which ever knot you use.

The thickness of the material in the tie will determine the knot to some extent.

A thick tie, in a full windsor, will look too much like, or sadly exactly like, a footballer's night out tie - a small persons fist.

The knot also needs to be tight enough to stay up all day.

A Pratt knot or half Windsor will probably do the job. A simple Schoolboys Knot or Four in Hand will possibly work.

There are plenty of diagrams and videos on the net to show you how to do it.

Dressing for the Cup

What can I say...

Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  5. matt1985

matt1985 Well-Known Member

Thank you all for your responses in regards to my suit! I'll go have a look at Routleys and Fellini over the weekend and see what they have to offer! Would make life easier with the tailoring etc! What did you think of MONA fxh? Some rather interesting things on display in there lol.

6. Teggeh

Teggeh Active Member

Are there any shoe brands one would recommend to buy while in Japan? Or is it just the Euro brands?

7. blahman

blahman Well-Known Member

I love my 4ih knot with my cutaway collars which does show some unknotted tie. So suck it!

8. blahman

blahman Well-Known Member

Don't know but I know high socks with mini skirts are really in right now with the ladies. Oh yeah!

9. thebrownman

thebrownman Well-Known Member

I'm the same. It's not like there's a ridiculous amount of tie sticking out, but you do notice it. That said, for some, the slightest mm of silk poking out seems to be a problem.

10. Teggeh

Teggeh Active Member

Have been and will continue to be.

Getting the GF to fit in with the Japanese girls while we're there.

Nice.

11. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

Maybe with girls - but not with women.

12. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

I was illustrating what looks good and what men should wear. Not what boys wear.

13. __PG__

__PG__ Well-Known Member

So, riding home tonight...about to cross Nicholson St in Melbourne's inner north... my attention was drawn to a well-dressed man emerging from a dry cleaners wearing cherry-coloured (or possibly cordovan) semi-brogues. I couldn't help myself so I had to ask where he got them. A quick conversation ensured..it turned out I was chatting to Fox81 (Fox21?) from styleforum.

So there you go..Melbourne's SF social scene is going off!

14. lennier

lennier Well-Known Member

Many, many years since anyone called me a boy, but I concur with the b-man on this one. One of the few affectations from the US side of SF that I like and have embraced.

15. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

I think you need to give us a day by day on your spooky week.

Do you think you'll run into blahman somewhere?

Perhaps we should start a competition - where would you most likely run into blahman........

16. Prof. B. Bear

Prof. B. Bear Well-Known Member

Just wanted to thank everyone for hotel suggestions. We have narrowed it down to the Amora and Sir Stamford at Circular Quay. Both are the exact same price. Any suggestions on which to take?

17. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

Teggeh, it's a sad fact that whilst you can get an enormous variety of shoes in Japan, most of the well-known brands are horrendously - and I really do mean horrendously - expensive over there. Plenty of stores carry shoes from brands such as Edward Green and C&J, but you will pay far more them than you would in either the US or the UK. In fact, C&Js in Japan might be more expensive than they are in Australia...

However, in places like the "shoe basement" in the Isetan Men's Annex in Shinjuku you will see an enormous variety of shoes, ranging from cheaper Japanese brands, shoes made in Indonesia or China, to Alden, Edward Green, Santoni, Berluti and others. There are also some wonderful, small shoe stores tucked away in places like Ginza or Marunouchi that stock some mainstream and some esoteric brands, as well as polish and other sorts of shoe accessories.

Depending on size, however, you might also find it difficult to get something that fits - I take a UK9/US10 and shoes in my size are limited.

18. Teggeh

Teggeh Active Member

Thank you sir. I will have a look, but not expect to do any buying. Will get some from the UK when I get a chance.

19. ar3nbe

ar3nbe Member

Where do most of you Aussie guys buy decent quality trousers from ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.