1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. macklondon

macklondon Member

Heyall. I came across these - "Our Legacy Brogue". Looks really weathered. Is there anywhere i can buy some of these in Australia or online. Can't seem to find them. Or can someone reccomend something that looks similar?

[​IMG]

2. Dicko

Dicko Well-Known Member

I bought a PS online at the Kent Wang shop. he has a $1 shipping option, and its pretty quick too.

3. Gassyndrome

Gassyndrome Well-Known Member

I can get an F sized Comfort Craftsman boot for 184.50? Really? How about an E fit? Pretty please?

I just got a pair MTO because they are impossible to find in Canberra in that width and in my size.

4. meister

meister Well-Known Member

Lynx is dying out for Nivea FWIW...it's the discovery by the 22 year old of after shave/eau de colony that is a problem when you are allergic to heavy fragrances...eau to be a parent....

Working in the airlines in the 70s/80s brings back memories of those fragrances we flogged by the container/barcart load. Poison was a shocker... eau sauvage was huge and good ole Number 5 Marilyn's preferred bedroom attire.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  5. meister

6. meister

Just got a couple of pairs off the overstock column... top value shorts nicer than last years ...softer fabric. Think I might buy me a navy blue window pane linen jacket to boot.

7. Oleg

Oleg Well-Known Member

Camouflage pocket squares? I didn't notice those (Bom tsh).:D

8. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

I've got a few pairs of the LE Canvas heritage chino shorts and they are great value for money. I wear them all the time during weekends in summer.
    I also have a couple of pairs of their madras shorts, and they are pretty nice, too.

Herringbone has plenty in stock. Most are $40, from memory, although some might be cheaper, around $30.

Kent Wang's pocket squares are great value but I prefer his "all one fabric" squares (ie all white linen, all houndstooth check etc) to the "edged" squares (ie white linen with a blue border). This is because whilst more expensive squares actually have the edge of the fabric dyed in the contrasting colour, with the edges then folded over and hand-stitched, Kent achieves the edge effect by hand-stitching a border of contrasting fabric around the edge of the square. In terms of colour, the effect is still nice, but it does mean that the pocket squares are just a little thicker around the edges. It's all a matter of personal preference and a Kent Wang plain white linen pocket square is one of the most frequently worn items in my wardrobe.

Have a look at Howard Yount, too - excellent quality and cheap shipping (although not quite as cheap as Kent Wang).

9. blahman

blahman Well-Known Member

Speaking of fragrances, like every other Asian in his 20s, I've been using Acqua di Gio for some time now. So great to smell exactly like everyone else in the club :laugh:
    Actually it's a parting gift from previous workplace and cannot wait to finish that bottle. 100mL can last very long, I discovered. Also have a bottle of Bvlgari Aqua and Versace Pour Homme wich is also a gift.

Need to find a change of scent. Considering F Black and Tuscan Soul by Ferragamo.
    Looking for any SFer who travel on Singapore Airlines to flog me a truckload of Tuscan Soul scented toiletry.

10. Dicko

Dicko Well-Known Member

I bought a bunch of shorts on lands end. hope i got the sizing right. i'm W 34 in levi's 514 so went for 34 and medium in lands end. see how i go!

11. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Well-Known Member

Try the RM shop in Civic they have plenty of F width boots, you will pay full price also they have discount store at DFO near Queenbeyan you might be lucky or you could try http://www.nungar.com.au/catalog/index.php/cPath/48_49?osCsid=c9c1302e4466e38a78ca0379c969c550

12. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

Blah, have a look at the perfume book by Luca that I mentioned above, it's in my library. It reviews, describes and ranks perfumes. Handy.

For buying go to Chemist warehouse, almost $20 or half price cheaper than say Myers or DJs. Hot cosmetics for aus online is good and quick and cheap.

My understanding is that Myers DJs had cosmetics, that's a broad term covering many items, as contributing around 30% of their profits. If that's true then they are under severe pressure form chemist ware house who unlike normal chemist are not charging extortionate markups on cosmetics.

13. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

What!

Now you tell me.

I had you pegged as a 30+ Maori.

14. lennier

lennier Well-Known Member

I'll be flying SA next year, I'll keep you in mind :)

15. blahman

blahman Well-Known Member

I used to work at CWH back in the days. I can tell you that even at the low low price at which they sell you the fragrances, the markups are still pretty incredible. I would have bought the Ferragamo scents by now if only they are not exclusively stocked by Myer outside of Ferragamo boutiques.

16. thebrownman

thebrownman Well-Known Member

I've found eBay to be a reputable place to buy fragrances. Before anyone slags me out for saying that, consider the fact that if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Buy from sellers who have high positive feedback and you should be fine. I'm buying from sellers who run legitimate online businesses through eBay and without having a store front, pass saving on to the customer.

As for which scents to buy, that's a different matter entirely. I'm fond of Tom Ford's private blends, particularly Japon Noir, Noir de Noir and Tobacco Vanille. They're all scents more suited to evening wear, as is Dior Homme. For daytime wear, in warmer weather I like Issey Miyake L'eau D'Issey Pour Homme, but am still searching for something I like more. Creed make good fragrances, but they're difficult to find at a discount and my Uni student budget doesn't extend that far..

I recently came across one of Ben Gorham's scents from BYREDO called 'Sunday Cologne' (was originally called 'Fantastic Man' after the magazine) and I really like it. It's shit expensive and Terre D'Hermes smells similar so I bought that instead..

17. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

brownie - hotcosmetics online is based in Sydney and saves all the buggerising around with usa based ebay shipping etc.

They also throw in a fair few nice small samples of other stuff as a freebie in the package.

18. lychee

lychee Well-Known Member

ozsale.com.au is having a rhodes and beckett sale for those interested.

19. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Well-Known Member

I tend not to use scent on a daily basis; I think it can be a bit intrusive for my fellow cattle in the corrals.

Instead I use a Geo. F Trumper sandalwood moisturiser/after shave balm, which I find a lot more subtle, and feels great.

When I do wear scent, I use Armani Code.

I usually avoid department stores and buy most of my toletries from mensbiz.com.au

20. budgiesmuggler

budgiesmuggler Well-Known Member

A couple of you were talking about Jogia diamonds for engagement rings. How did you find them? Did they make the setting too? If so, how did it turn out?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.