1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

Brownie, the unfortunately named Beggar Man Thief in Clarendon street has a big range of Loakes and. Few others.

2. blahman

blahman Well-Known Member

^^ Or just go to David Jones. They seem to have expanded their Loakes range a fair bit lately. The fact that its David Jones means that you can try all you want and then jump on line to buy without needing to feel even a tiny bit guilty about shafting anyone.

Unfortunately they seem to have pretty much got rid of their Zegna range of shoes. I actually enjoyed looking at the pairs of Zegna oxfords sitting on the shelves. Way too many pairs of ugly Dolce & Gabbanas and patent leather Armanis.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  3. thebrownman

thebrownman Well-Known Member

Thanks! I'm heading to both today actually.

4. MickyD

MickyD Well-Known Member

DJ's has some Loake's at 50% off at the moment (so about $230), which seems like a reasonable buy?

5. blahman

If they are Loake Shoemaker, 1880 or Loake Evolution ranges then it's very reasonable.
    Loake L1 or Design Loakes can be had for $150 shipped at retail and they use lower grade leather and manufactured in India.

6. jzbar

jzbar Active Member

Might also be worthwhile checking American Tailors at the top of Bourke, as they had some lovely Crockett & Jones in the window last time I wandered past.

As an aside, can I ask you chaps for a recommendation for a tailor? Need to have the sleeves on an Isaia tweed jacket taken up - non-working button holes, but I need one of the buttons moved up, and the button-hole stitching unpicked. Lastly, I was thinking of getting the jacket length taken up, but that would require patch pockets being moved also, does this sound doable?

Thanks in advance fellas!

7. __PG__

__PG__ Well-Known Member

I've had two sets of sleeves altered in the past month.

American Tailors shortened an op-shop Zegna suit sleeve for me. $90 which included moving all the buttons and putting hand-sewn faux button holes. These sleeves were 'extra-long'...the previous owner had already moved the top two button holes and sewn in additional material at the bottom of the sleeve.
    Arthur on South Yarra (recommended by Azzaro, he also does work for the Zegna boutique) lengthened the sleeves on my Pasini suit. $90 which included moving all the buttons and putting machine-sewn faux button holes.
    The tailor in Docklands opposite the ANZ building quoted $30 for lengthen the sleeves but that would be just putting a false hem on the inside using extra material. No faux-button holes either.

Other people here recommend Katrina's. I've also used Illario in the CBD. He's cheaper than Arthur but not as good. Arthur is a very good tailor but he always takes one week longer than he says.

If you don't need the buttons moved the shortening the sleeves should only cost about $30.

As for moving patch pockets...they may leave a mark. I would imagine that stitching leather/seude/moleskin/whatever into the sleeve would require heavy stitching..although with a tweed jacket you might get away with it.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  8. jzbar

jzbar Active Member

Thanks mate, really appreciate the help. I'm close to South Yarra, so I might check out Arthur. I've heard him mentioned before, from memory, so sounds like the best person to take a punt on.

9. __PG__

__PG__ Well-Known Member

He's good as long as you aren't in a hurry. He's a bespoke tailor.

10. Selvaggio

Selvaggio Well-Known Member

11. blahman

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.............

12. jobro

jobro Well-Known Member

13. Selvaggio

Selvaggio Well-Known Member

14. ivormiric

ivormiric Member

I have a wedding coming up and I'm in need fo some new shoes to match my new PJ suit :p

Some nice Crockett & Jones Hallam Dark Brown caught my eyes in herringbone but they were $599

I've done a thorough search within this thread and haven't come up with much so I thought I'd ask what would be the cheapest way of obtaining these babies. Wedding is a month and a half away.

I'm guessing my best option would be going in herringbone trying/finding out my size then ordering online?

Cheers boys!

P.s I'm in Sydney

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  15. jobro

jobro Well-Known Member

Yep, find your size then buy online. I did hear that Herringbone are matching or getting close to online prices.

16. Lowly Public Servant

Lowly Public Servant Well-Known Member

Cheers for that guys,

I probably didn't phrase my question properly. I guess I was more after info on what is the significance or purpose of ironing a crease in trousers.

From the research I have done I think it might be a case of creases were once a way of getting pants to drape nicely and then like you say Selvaggio "the idea of front creases just stayed". I was working on the theory that it had something to do with pleats in pants and the crease was just an extension of the pleat, which would have been a very military thing to do.

I always find it interesting to learn about the history of why things are the way they are and there seems to be very little info out there in the wider community about creases in pants.

I can sympathise with your experiences Selvaggio, I have had to do similar things in my life too though never anything like what you had to do for your bell bottoms.

fxh, I would love a lesson on how to iron pants (and other stuff for that matter) but I am afraid that I can't spring for the expenses and fee. Looks like I am going to have to continue doing things the way I have been taught so far, but if anyone does have any further info please by all means send it on through.

LPS :)

17. sydneycentric

sydneycentric Well-Known Member

Mate, I'd try Bodileys Northampton.....

18. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Well-Known Member

Elephants scrotum hmmmmm? would be durable and long wearing.

As and aside have found Ned Kelly's scrotum I remember learning in school NSW that is, that it was turned into a tobacco pouch after they hanged him.

No wonder people think Victorians are strange.

19. ivormiric

ivormiric Member

Do Bodileys Northampton have good feedback?

thanks for the responses!

20. CHECKstar

CHECKstar Well-Known Member

I wouldn't discount contacting the C&J stores in London. I have dealt with the manager of the Burlington Arcade and Jermyn St stores recently from Australia and he was quite pleasant and accommodating. Assuming that they can drop the VAT, you would be looking at approximately just under £300.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.