1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CHECKstar

CHECKstar Well-Known Member

Nice - cost me 10x that for three pots of Saphir...

2. limousine

limousine Well-Known Member

Can anyone recommend where I could find some relatively cheap narrow width suit hangers? The only one I have come across so far are those offered by The Hanger Project, but I rather not shell out more for postage than a single hanger.

3. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

Depending on where you are located, you could check out your local Mei + Picchi store.

The last time I was there, they had a bin full of wooden suit jacket hangers that were fairly narrow but very well-shaped, and were less than $2 each. I'm kicking myself for not picking up more as they fit my jackets beautifully but don't take up too much room in the wardrobe.

4. laphroaig

laphroaig Well-Known Member

By narrow do you mean more like shirt hangers? I suspect limousine might be in my predicament.. a typical coat hanger is too wide (as in long) for a 36 jacket and protrudes into the sleeves.

5. limousine

limousine Well-Known Member

Yep, too wide for my slim shoulders.

Hanger Project group buy?

6. Axel Ferguson

Axel Ferguson Well-Known Member

You have got to be kidding me... I better stock up on it before I move to that kangaroo-laden country of yours.

7. ColdEyedPugilist

ColdEyedPugilist Well-Known Member

Hey Check,

If you're looking for a dark green grenadine tie, you should try the range from Sam Hober bespoke.

Beautiful ties; fantastic quality.

Only downside: takes two-three weeks to make and send.

But heck, good things to those who wait...

8. Jimbosaurus

Jimbosaurus Well-Known Member

9. greenoxfords11

greenoxfords11 Active Member

Thank you to all who attended my "Sartorial Evening" on Friday night, wonderful to chat to so many like-minded chaps.

Christian Kimber

10. MickyD

MickyD Well-Known Member

Welcome Back :)

looking forward to the next one - I don't know about the others, but I'd be interested to leran more about suit construction, e.g. the difference between hald & full canvassed, that sort of thing? I'll profess to not understanding it as much as I probably should.

Michael

11. aKula

aKula Well-Known Member

http://tuttofattoamano.blogspot.com/2008/09/full-canvas-half-canvas-fused.html

12. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Well-Known Member

Hi Christian. Thanks for your hospitality. I'm afraid I had to duck off to the football and miss out on meeting most of my fellow SFers. In retrospect I would have done better staying. :)

Been trying out your polishing technique on my Audleys; seeing some improvement in the shine and hopefully I will get better at it soon.

Cheers.

13. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Well-Known Member

Pick up a copy of Bespoke by Richard Anderson very informative read.

14. jobro

jobro Well-Known Member

Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
  15. Jimbosaurus

Jimbosaurus Well-Known Member

Hey Christian. It was a shame I had to leave early but I had a friend who got stranded by himself at a pub, a situation no man should have to endure on a Friday night. It was great to catch up and meet some of the guys from the forum and I look forward to the next one.

16. blahman

blahman Well-Known Member

What's with the weird size guide? It says size S = 48EU = 34-36" Chest?

What I hate most about size guides everywhere is that there are no shoulder measurements given on nearly all of them when it is just about the most important measurement for fit.

17. lychee

lychee Well-Known Member

anyone had any good experiences with tailors in perth doing shirt alterations?

18. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

When I visited Adelaide the other week I stayed with friends at Prospect.

Now ever since I was a kid I can remember the address, 5 Percy St Prospect South Australia. Its embedded deep in my unconscious.

Percy Street was just a walk down the road. We walked down to the showroom and museum. If you are in the area and have a bit of the shoe nerd in you then a visit to the modest but reasonably comprehensive RM Museum is worthwhile. It has a collection of boot styles over the years and well worn ones as well as a dissection of the making process and a range of photos.

There was even an old pair of Santa Fe Cuban heels just like my black ones. They do still make the Santa Fe and its one of their biggest and steady sellers.

I wouldn’t drive over to SA just to see the museum but well worth half an hour if you are in town.

Percy St is the original location that RM started the factory – in his dad’s garage. The showroom has a good range of full priced and some sale items of clothing and footwear. Good place to have a browse with knowledgeable staff and no pressure.

With footwear in particular nothing beats seeing the item in the flesh and looking at all angles and the showroom is a good place to see a lot.

I was absolutely impressed with what is a relatively new line – the Kangaroo Kingsvale Chukka.

http://www.bootsonline.com.au/Graphics1000/B456KSide1000.gif

http://www.bootsonline.com.au/Graphics1000/B456KFront1000.gif

http://www.bootsonline.com.au/Graphics1000/B456KAbove1000.gif

The picture above does not in any way do justice to this shoe (boot). The colour is a spectacular deep brown. I think its based on the craftsman – it looks both dressy and casual. As I’ve mentioned before the ‘lastic sides of RMs have negative connotations for me of work boots and or private school squatters sons in town, (plus I just hate the pants cuff getting caught on the bloody pull tab) but this chukka blows all that away. Even the RM longhorn logo on the side is discrete enough to be acceptable.

See if you can get to see one in the flesh.

It was all I could do to not lay down my plastic card there and then. I think they were $340 or so.

This boot is a new high for RMs as far as I can see and deserves to sell like buggery.

I also looked at the shoes. Almost there but not quite. My assessment was a bit too sleek and fashiony. A little bit of tweaking and we would soon have a solid conservative basic business shoe, Goodyear welted, made in Oz.

The next day on the way back from Salisbury (gawking at the suburbs of the Bunting murders etc, but I wont mention that) we called into the factory and seconds shop of RMs in Salisbury. Most of the seconds you’d be hard pressed to find the fault.

I walked out with a new pair of cola suede 3 up chukka/ desert boots for $80, the only pair and the right size. They were a sales demo model apparently. I haven’t seen them around.

More about Adelaide later.

19. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

B456 Kingsvale Comfort Craftsman Lace-Up Boot
    Made-to-Order 4 weeks
    Price AUD$325

3 Eyelet Lace Up Dress/Casual boot.
    Chisel square toes. (same as the Craftsman)
    Yearling, Kangaroo or Suede uppers, leather lined
    Sewn welt non-slip composite soles with flat heels
    New Poron insole provides superior cushioning and absorbs heel strike for unparalled comfort.
    Microfibre "sock lining" - soft and durable will breathe and wick moisture away from the foot.
    Black Yearling, Chocolate Kangaroo, Brown or Black Suede
    Mens 6-12 (US7-13)
    Ladies Sizes: 6-9 (US9-12)
    Medium (G) or Wide (H) Fittings

20. CHECKstar

CHECKstar Well-Known Member

I saw this shoe on display at the Doncaster store earlier this year – while it appealed to me in that it was a boot with laces, I was unsure as to whether it could be pulled off in a business context – the leather just seemed too soft and ‘wrinkly’ if you know what I mean.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.