1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. herringbonePete

herringbonePete Well-Known Member

As an ex-soldier I can say you can go from start to mirror in hours. The final mirror can be the hardest, perhaps incorporating your breath and cotton wool swabs. That said we used boots with much tougher and coarser leather.

Even an hour with requisite skill is enough to get a good result with a high-end shoe. A toe-cap helps matters.

Once a mirror, or near mirror is achieved, maintenance is a fraction of time.

I've never used strippers (!) or renovation products. I have old brown brogues with surely years of Kiwi wax on them. Now I think about it they must be sealed in wax.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  2. sliq

sliq Well-Known Member

re submariners, I agree with JM that they are now menswear watches nowadays.. but that being said, they make fantastic heirlooms and are great work horses.

vintage watch co is a good bet - but also check out rolexforums and Timezone. depending how fussy you are with it too plays a big factor. plenty out there with just watch heads alone - no bracelet, box and papers, you can find for about $4k usd.

I'd also check out Tudor as well; their new black bay black is a solid watch, likewise with their pelagos.

3. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

Pelagos is a bit too large for me but if you don't mind the size, it is a very nice watch.

The Black Bay Noir is also great and more wearable (for me) than the Pelagos, but I don't like the tube-like crown stem. However, that's a subjective issue and others don't mind it.

I noticed that LunarOyster (one of the US sellers I recommended in my earlier post) has a vintage Tudor Sub with snowflake hands and a blue dial and bezel that is very nice.

4. md2010

md2010 Well-Known Member

^^ Black bay is a fantastic watch. And you can still get a submariner later. Get the burgundy one as some predicts this could be a future classic. $4050 on a bracelet is a steal (plus discount) . You won't regret it.

5. EdwMicInAus

EdwMicInAus Active Member

Watchtrader in Melbourne is a good place to look for second hand in good condition. I've bought 2 watches from Darryl there and recommend him highly. He has all stock listed online with great pictures / descriptions and you can visit him in his very cool offices off Flinders Lane by appointment.

1 person likes this.
  6. Oli2012

Oli2012 Well-Known Member

On the topic of watches when you buy a watch over $1K how is GST charged?

7. blahman

blahman Well-Known Member

I wouldnt either at $50 a song. And I highly doubt theyre qualified to get the job done.

8. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Well-Known Member

The new Tudors look amazing in the photographs. OTOH I can't help but think you are paying for the Rolex marketing machine inbuilt to the price of the watches.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
  9. Journeyman

Oli, as far as I'm aware, GST is charged on the cost of the watch in AUD, plus the cost of shipping (in other words, the cost of the watch's arrival in Australia).

If the seller ships via FedEx or another such courier service, the courier will usually charge you a "service fee" for dealing with customs and paying the GST charge, too.

10. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

WOW.

2 people like this.
  11. Coxsackie

That's some damn fine whisky right there.

12. Coxsackie

Whisky Advocate: 92 points
    [​IMG] Sweet, with subtle, crisp, nutty oak, then comes fudge, ripe banana, and peach. The overall effect is like eating vanilla ice cream with toffee fudge and hazelnut sprinkles. The structure is thick and physical, the palate sweet and quite fat, with light hints of raspberry, fruit salad. A jag of acidity freshens the delivery on the finish. With water there’s more toffee, and it becomes slightly more yielding, with less oak. For me the gold standard of grain. (Fall 2015) Reviewed by: Dave Broom. [​IMG]

K&L Notes
    Grain whisky is one of the least understood components of the whisky world. When you sip a blended Scotch like Johnnie Walker or Suntory's Hibiki, you're drinking a blend of two types of whisky -- both single malt and grain -- hence the term "blend" (many people assume the "blend" refers to the blend of various distilleries). While we've gone out of our way here at K&L to help our customers understand 100% malted barley single malt whisky, we've never really talked very much about grain whisky -- mostly because there's very little of it available! Grain whisky is made from corn, wheat, and unmalted barley on a continuous still -- much like vodka is produced. The Coffey Still is a type of continuous still that can pump out grain whisky without having to alternate batches. Because of the efficiency and cheaper production cost, grain whisky has taken on a bit of a bad rap. This reputation is entirely undeserved, however, especially when delicious grain whisky like the new Nikka Coffey Still is available. This is classic grain whisky -- round vanilla, hints of caramel, and an herbaceous, spicy note that brings some pop on the finish.

13. Prince of Paisley

Only 92 points? Nothing makes it into my liquor cabinet unless it's at least 150 points.

Sorry, not points, I meant proof.

1 person likes this.
  14. Coxsackie

You, sir, are a curmudgeon. You will be hearing from my seconds.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
  15. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Well-Known Member

PoP always has seconds. And thirds.

16. Coxsackie

Minors, no doubt.

17. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Well-Known Member

Scandalous comment.

PoP is a pillar of this online community. Or pillock. I get confused.

1 person likes this.
  18. Prince of Paisley

Only when you're paying!

1 person likes this.
  19. Liber

Liber Well-Known Member

Thanks for the links and suggestions guys, much appreciated. Do I get away with the negative sub connotations if I wanted one before I made an account here? :D

Re the Tudor line. I've tried the BB and the pelagos, don't mind the new BB Noir but not really a big fan of the snowflake hands on the Tudors, just something about them I don't like. The pelagos is nice, inc the ceramic bezel but I just can't go past the sub still.

20. Journeyman

It's interesting that you say that - it's all subjective, isn't it?

Personally, I really like the snowflake hands on the Tudor BB and Pelagos, and I don't like the "Mercedes" hands on the Rolex, but I really like the crown guards on the Rolex and don't like the crown stem tube on the BB!

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.