1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oli2012

Oli2012 Well-Known Member

Not as good in the slimmer sizes. Most of their models are easy iron these days.

2. ajc2162

ajc2162 Well-Known Member

Just saw this post and have to agree with you. I like Loakes and have got a few from Herring and Shoe Healer because I've been fortunate to find the lasts that fit me comfortably.

But all this does is give me a reason to look elsewhere - Double Monk opens soon and Kazuna sounds very appealing as well.

P.S. How on earth do you guys spoiler things - I've searched all the buttons but am still none the wiser.

3. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

If your waist is 33", then a 36" waist on your shirt is going to be pretty damned slim, in my opinion. That's not much room to spare all the way around your midriff.

4. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Well-Known Member

There's a button in the edit window toolbar which looks like a cross between a dialog bubble and a black rectangle. Select the text you wish to spoiler and then click that button.

5. ajc2162

6. ajc2162

I don't think I quite achieved it but at least you've shown me where that damn button is. Thanks again.

7. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Well-Known Member

Not bad. But first you write the text, then you highlight it, then you spoiler it. Finally (if you so wish), you can create a visible title for the spoilered content.

8. ajc2162

Ahhh..... that makes sense now. I wondered at the time. I really appreciate your help.

Cheers, Andrew

9. blahman

blahman Well-Known Member

Jolly, you may have the numbers confused. The numbers you should pay attention to are not the "To Fit Waist" ones, but the "Shirt Waist Size" ones.
    You tried the slim fit one, which is 42" measured on the shirt and it is entirely too baggy. The same size on the fully fitted is 40.5" and Super Fitted is 39", which is many inches taken out from the shirt.

The other number is your 33" waist. Are you wearing 33" trousers or is the measurement on the thickest part of your waist 33"? From your comment that the best fitting shirt (BB Green) around the waist comes at 40" indicates that that may be your pants size.

So it seems like if 40" shirt is still a bit loose then go try the 16" collar super fitted, and if a little tight then go try the 16" collar fully fitted. Those 2 are what you are after. Best bet is to try them at Myer.

I wear size 30 trousers but my waist for shirts is 31.5"~32".
    I go size 15" collar and currently fully fitted is perfect for me. Super fitted in 15" collar I find to be too restrictive. I do wear pretty "tight" shirts. So according to the TM Lewin charts my real body waist has to be about 4.5" less than shirt measurement to be slim yet comfortable.

Not misleading. The numbers are entirely accurate. They state both the shirt measurements and the body measurement the shirt is for for each size of each cut.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
  10. Marbles

Marbles Well-Known Member

Civic Shoes, downstairs in Bailey's Arcade, opposite the Subway.

From memory, Loake and Barker are the only SF-Approved brands they stock, and the guy is a but pushy but not too bad. He did mention that they are looking to stock more Northampton brands in the near future, the majority of stock at the moment appeared to be pointy toed Italian things. They had 8 lines of the 1880's

11. jollygoodshow

jollygoodshow Member

Thanks for the help guys.

Spent a couple of hours looking for shirts today and none of them fit right.

- MJ Bale
    - TM Lewin
    - Country Road
    - Brooks Brothers
    - and a few others in Myer/DJs

So Frustrating. Might have to go to a tailor and pay 150-180 a shirt... but as a grad that isn't really within budget.

12. blahman

blahman Well-Known Member

Have you had a look at Saba? My experience with the Saba brand has been that they put pretty severe darts in their shirts to make their waists much smaller than their chest, which is also why I avoid them. But it may work out for you.

13. Journeyman

Well, the other option, although perhaps unappealing, is simply to put up with imperfect shirts that are slightly baggier than ideal for the time being and to get MTO, better-fitting shirts down the track.

The reality is that as long as the collar fits and as long as the waist doesn't billow out alarmingly, then no-one at all will notice.

14. jollygoodshow

jollygoodshow Member

Thanks, I'll try Saba on Friday. I nearly went in there today as my last option but I was so over it.

I'm yet to find a shirt that doesn't billow out quite a bit, so I want to avoid putting up with that as best as I can. This may sound quite lame, but I'm starting as a grad at an international law firm and everyone there dresses immaculately. I feel like I need fitted clothes to fit in haha.

15. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Well-Known Member

Ok, I usually don't advocate this, but why not just use a credit card or take out a small loan - if looks have to be perfect, and the total cost isn't high ($750 for M2M shirts x5) maybe the best compromise??

Ultimately you either need:
    1. More money
    2. Accept a poorly fitting shirt

16. jollygoodshow

jollygoodshow Member

You're absolutely right, they are the two options I have. I'm getting close to deciding between one of those options. Hopefully Saba will fit me though.

17. Journeyman

Congratulations on the job - that must be very exciting.

I must admit, though, that I'm surprised to hear that everyone at your new firm dresses immaculately. I know quite a few people who work at large, national or international law firms and while there are always a few, well-dressed men, the vast majority of them are dressed in a pretty average manner. The general standard of dress is corrected-grain Florsheim and Aquila shoes and suits and shirts from Rhodes & Beckett, Herringbone and Calibre.

I don't want to discourage you with regard to Saba, as I haven't looked in to one of their stores for years, but the last time I checked, their fabrics weren't very nice and their shirt collars didn't look good, either. They also cost about $150 each. Much better to just get the best fit you can out of TM Lewin's various options and save $100 per shirt.

18. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Well-Known Member

Yes or set up a Kickstarter/GoFundMe. Or maybe ask your folks to go guarantor with their house on your clothing loan? Another option is to follow someone with a similar build into the changeroom at your work and steal his shirts.

19. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

Re shirts. You may be obsessing too much. As JM says as long as collar and sleeves fit you'll be fine.

If all your international law firm dudes are impeccably dressed it will be an Australian first and possibly an international first.

1 person likes this.
  20. jollygoodshow

jollygoodshow Member

Thanks, I am super excited.

Well, there's definitely a lot of lawyers out there that dress poorly. However, most of the people I met dressed very well, especially throughout the application process where applicants were invited for dinner at the firm (but maybe HR only invited the well dressed lawyers, haha?).

Yeah I've heard the same about Saba. Their $150 shirts drop down to $100 each when you buy two, so they will definitely be an option if they fit. I want something comfortable but I'm more concerned with fit than quality for now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.