1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

I've just stopped buying anything from overseas at present, although I am saving up for some more G.Inglese shirts from Deer Style.

I was thinking of getting a pair of driving moccasins from overseas, as my brown pair have finally worn out, but the shock of the price conversion made me decide against it for the time being!

2. ryanohare

ryanohare Well-Known Member

5 holes to go, come on J-Day!

3. ryanohare

Wallet recco's please folks?

I like some of the Ettinger range, so far, but a bit too expensive. What else should I be looking at??

4. TheWraith

TheWraith Well-Known Member

5. Journeyman

As The Wraith said, you could look at Aspinal. There are a few other English brands that make leather accessories, such as Robertson Jessel. Jessel's wallets are very nice and, from memory, a bit cheaper than Ettinger or Aspinal.

I came up with a few local options when LonerMatt asked about wallets a few weeks ago:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/88856/australian-members/63660#post_7994124

Quote:

1 person likes this.
  6. ryanohare

Thanks JM and TheWraith; will check them all out.

Hunt looks very interesting, might take a walk over there at lunch.

7. ASpark

ASpark Well-Known Member

I requested, and more importantly received, a bellroy note sleeve from my wife for my birthday recently. It has replaced a tri-fold, and is definitely a lot sleeker. There is a small range of colours.
    The leather feels quite soft, most of the rigidity is from the cards inside. I've fitted 10 in easily, one of which is the stupid thicker RFID type.

They have a travel wallet that could pass as a nice breast wallet, but unfortunately it doesn't come in green.

1 person likes this.
  8. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Well-Known Member

Depends how much plastic you carry either a 6 or 8 card slot. 6 is sufficient for me I recently bought this http://www.brooksbrothers.com.au/fr...cgid=0479&dwvar_690F_Color=BLCK&contentpos=11 on sale and it works well for me. It was half price in the recent (ongoing) sale.

Just had a look at Aspinal and thought that Croc would be very nice, price is reasonable then noticed that it was in US dollars, merde!

Anyone else use a Cordovan wallet I have a BB one which i picked up a couple of years ago found out that it is not suited to being carted around in a trouser pocket only use it now when wearing a jacket. Found it did not react well to Australia summers as it lost colour in a large section. Thankfully BB replaced it.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
  9. Selvaggio

Selvaggio Well-Known Member

Sacrilegious, I know, but you could consider a blend.

Fit might help a... bit. Silk saddles don't work, as it is mainly the outside of the fabric rubbing together which cause the thinning and saddles are on the inside. You're not over-wearing it, as you say. Walking a lot will speed up the wear, for sure - but you don't want to have to change your whole life just to avoid your suit trousers wearing out.

Might be against their ethos - but I'd ask SuitShop if they could recommend a decent blend.

10. Journeyman

@billbro - To add to Selvaggio's thoughts, you could also consider a mohair-blend fabric.

I've got a couple of suits that have a significant percentage of mohair and the mohair gives them some spring and stiffness that also seems to help the longevity of the trousers.

11. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

billbro - to add to all the above. I don't have a problem myself with clothes wearing out - I don't think I've ever had a pair of trousers - or anything else much wear out - I'm fairly easy on clothes. Due to a lot of reasons but partly that coming from a farm I've always changed clothes for the task. So that if in a suit and tie I'll change almost as soon as I come in the door. If i'm doing work where I might get dirty or stains I wear proper work clothes. I don't shift filing cabinets in a suit etc. I don't watch TV in a suit and tie. If cooking i'll change or at least wear an apron. I also have thighs about as thick as a chicken's instep. Its possible that ernesto has skinnier legs than me but I haven't checked.

I do however have a lot to do with big blokes and clothes. Some big Maori ex rugby guys gone to seed f'rinstance.

I'll say what little I know that I think helps. Its hard to say if its all correct because of the lack of longitudinal studies etc. I'll probably repeat a lot others have said too.

I used to have a mate who I worked alongside. He was solidly built but not excessively so. He was chunky. Every year he would buy a cheapish suit with two pair of trousers. He would then wear it almost every day. After 2 or 3 months it would look terrible, baggy at knees, lifeless etc. He asked me why mine didn't look like that. I quizzed him mercilessly.
    This was his routine:
    Get up in morning get clean shirt grab suit and plonk it on. Jump in car with jacket on. Drive to work. Work in jacket or hang it on back of chair. Put jacket on drive home. Take jacket off throw it on couch or hang it up.. Loosen tie. Have a kick of footy in backyard with sons. Come inside eat. Wash dishes. Lay /sit on couch watch TV etc. Take off suit trousers. Go to bed. Get up in morning find jacket on couch - repeat previous day. Once every month dry clean suit. His suit would wear out at thighs etc.

Clearly he was doing almost all he could do to not prolong the life or integrity of the suit.

Somethings I think I know to advise big blokes who are tough on clothes.

Don't dry clean too much - it diminishes the lanolin in wool and effects flexibility.

Rest the suit - a day or so in between wears allows the wool to bounce back and refresh.

Do get a bemberg saddle and have trousers lined. Fully lined to knee will help. This means lined in seat as well as front. A slippery material as lining will help reduce friction on suit material.

Do try long loose satin /slippery boxers underwear - will add another layer of slipperiness and reduce friction.

Figure out where your trousers are wearing - is it on outside inner thighs or inside next to thighs or in crutch - the solutions will be different.

Don't have trousers fitting too tight.

Don't wear suits more than needed. Change when you get home.

Try to get high twist and tight weave materials. Don't worry about 120 - 150 etc - a 130 might be a high twist tight weave. It might not too.

Generally but not always a heavier material will wear better.

Gabardine will wear better - not so easy to find these days - but it used to be a staple everyday suiting

Calvary twill in wool or similar will wear well but its generally not a suiting material.

I have seen some poly wool blends that look very good. A bit of poly will mostly help wear. I have also seen poly blends that look terrible. Poly will wear hot. I have seen some poly look good. This will surprise many people.

edit: It used to be a fairly common repair to insert a V of material, taken from cuff or somewhere, in the underside of the crutch if that's where the wear is. I forget its proper name now. Pretty much unnoticeable by anyone except yourself. A proper experienced tailor will know about it.

I forgot to add the obvious which I'm sure you have already realised. You are a man who needs to buy 2 x pair of trousers with each suit. And ask for extra material - offcuts - for future repairs.

Oblig. smartarse Aus. comment: Or you could try walking like Tony Abbott - it also conveys the message that your balls are so big you have to walk that way to stop them clanging together.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
  12. meister

meister Well-Known Member

13. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

What would you know about shoes?

How about you post some nice pics of spiffy spades. To cheer me up. Or make me jealous.

14. Contango

Contango Well-Known Member

Got so excited about that 30% off voucher until I realised it only only applied to certain items and not the shopping cart full of Drakes I'd selected. :(

1 person likes this.
  15. billbro

billbro Active Member

Thanks for the comprehensive reply, will have to keep that post as reference somewhere - I think I'm across most of the points already, thankfully.

The only bad thing I do with my suits, is that I just tend to throw them onto a chair when I'm home instead of hanging them properly!

I think my biggest issue might just be fit, most of my suits are tapered fairly aggressively, in both the jacket and trousers. Obviously, this doesn't help with wear, but it's just how I like them... https://scontent.fadl1-1.fna.fbcdn....=014046d0c1f67e4a85cac4299c3a5970&oe=567EDC43 (broke the trousers for this suit).

SuitShop
    Turns out the guys at SuitShop are crazy busy, tried to lock in an appointment today and they can't see me till next Friday!

Herman Bro's
    I haven't heard back from Herman in terms of when he is re-opening, since he is currently "taking a break from the business" - if anyone has any insight that would be appreciated.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
  16. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Well-Known Member

Herman is in the middle of some things I believe buying or moving house or something similar plus he has a young family like me. Prob needs a break as we all do from time to time.

17. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Well-Known Member

What is the current MensBiz code? BB15?

EDIT: BB2015 ****

Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
  18. Contango

Contango Well-Known Member

Have my first appointment with SuitShop later this week. Any tips? Looking forward to it, after hearing all the love they get around here! A young lady called me to organise the appointment, but I assume that it's only Nick who does fittings in Sydney after looking at their website?

19. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Well-Known Member

20. andrewjamesdean

andrewjamesdean Well-Known Member

I've got an Il Bisonte folio that I love, but holy shit the shipping charges are the least of my worries when it comes to picking up any more of their stuff. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.