1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

I don't know if it's still the case, but a number of years back the Myer (I think it was - either that or DJs) in Sydney city had some CT shirts and ties in their menswear section. If that's still the case (and it may well not be) then he could try some on there.

Yes, TM Lewin's collar are (or were, at least) un-fused, whereas Tyrwhitt's are fused. However, in my brief experience with them, Tyrwhitt's collars are larger. Unfortunately, TM Lewin seems to have moved more towards shorter collar points, which is disappointing.

With regard to fit, Tyrwhitt has classic, which is pretty baggy; slim, which is about the same as Herringbone's regular fit; and extra slim, which is, as the name indicates, slimmer.

Unless your friend likes baggy shirts or is quite hefty, he should be fine with the slim fit.

With regard to the other measurements, all he needs to know is his neck size and sleeve length (ie 16"/42cm neck and 35"/89cm sleeve). With regard to the sleeve (and I'm sure that you know this already), it's measured from the middle of the nape of the neck, over to the top of the shoulder, and then down the arm to the wrist.

2. blahman

blahman Well-Known Member

It's more than that. CT vs tml is really down to personal preference at best. Their cuts are very different. I only look at the slimmer cuts of shirts so I'll ignore their regular fit ranges.
    The extra slim fit from ct is half way between tml slim fit and fully fitted. Tml extra fitted is even slimmer. So ultimately it's down to body shape and how you like your shirt to fit. I go 15.5 on extra fitted tml, so any ct shirt is too loose for me.

Last edited: May 28, 2015
  3. Oli2012

Oli2012 Well-Known Member

Got a new watch

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's beautiful, but at 12mm I'm concerned how its going to fit under a shirt sleeve.

7 people like this.
  4. Petepan

Petepan Well-Known Member

Think of it as tofu with a twist.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  5. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Well-Known Member

^ I remember seeing one of those floating on top of the bath water.

6. Journeyman

^ That's rather exotic, Cox - most floaters are brown!

2 people like this.
  7. blahman

Delicacy = weird crap that won't kill you (generally)

8. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

Either you have th watch on the wrong way - or much more seriously - you hand is attached to you arm and wrist a bit differently to most peoples. If you had it a long time I suppose you are used to it but if its a recent thing my advice is see a doctor. - perhaps you should get it looked into.

9. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Well-Known Member

Or he's wearing it on his right hand.

2 people like this.
  10. lukejackson

lukejackson Well-Known Member

Just want to say, dealing with @BeClassic was a pleasure. He posted out the item an hour after I paid him, the jacket was very well packed in a box, wrapped in paper and in a plastic bag. He even included a lapel pin and collar stays as a gift! Jacket (A1 valstarino) fits perfectly (nice and snug which is what I wanted) and is beautiful. Will post fit pics when I can.

2 people like this.
  11. BeClassic

BeClassic Well-Known Member

I'm glad to hear you the jacket is fit!!!
    Don't worry abt the small gift it's better to use for someone else than just stay in my drawer for nothing. Cheers!

12. lukejackson

Fit pics. It might be a little on the small side i think, but if i sized up wouldn't get the look i was going for. thoughts? second photo it's a bit skewed, didn't realise as no mirror nearbye and mate with the camera has already bailed. definetly can't wear a jumper underneath but it is cotton so i didnt plan to.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. blahman

have to agree with you there, bit small.

14. lukejackson

Damn haha...Hm. I wanted a fit like this. Sizing up would rule that out I believe. Perhaps the cotton accentuates the pulling at the buttons compared to the below suede models.

[​IMG]

15. Journeyman

If you do up two or three buttons, it may pull less. You're probably getting more of an "x" because it's only buttoned in one place.

Also, I think that you're right concerning the fabric. A jacket in a heavier fabric, such as suede or wool, probably wouldn't accentuate the pulling as much.

16. blahman

Luke you have to give me the url for that blog again. I lost the link and I've been trying to find it for ages.

17. lukejackson

18. BeClassic

BeClassic Well-Known Member

It looks great for me. Damn I'm searching Valstar one again!

19. lukejackson

haha i've really keen to get one in dark brown suede or leather now.

20. Oli2012

Oli2012 Well-Known Member

Take your dementia medication and help me with my watch conundrum!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.