1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acinod

acinod Well-Known Member

Aunty giving me money to buy some dress shoes to wear to her wedding. My role is to open the door and it's good luck to wear new shoes. Budget is only $200-$300 though so I figured I wouldn't be able to get anything of good enough quality locally here in AUS. Thinking my best bet were a pair of RM Williams seconds for $275 but there's none in my size at the DFO. Any ideas on other pair of dress shoes I can get for this budget?

2. jas0nt

jas0nt Well-Known Member

Loake 1880's fit your budget perfectly.

Robinsons Shoes - 25% off and free shipping over 150GBP, bringing 1880's to $257 shipped. Code is BDAY61.

Use the remaining $43 to buy some shoe trees, a tin of polish and a jar of shoe conditioner lotion - eBay is a good bet and Saphir is a good brand.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
    2 people like this.
  3. Yowzer

Yowzer Well-Known Member

You can do better than RM Williams (if you're thinking of a boot). With that budget the choices would be limited in Melbourne retail for a new 'good' shoe but have you taken a look at styles yet?

if you're able to shop online, have a look at Herring's sales, such as Loakes where several models are usually on sale (this is one example which isn't the 1880 range but as a starter shoe it looks pretty good http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/product-info.php?&brandid=7&shoeid=7485). Of course, since you're dipping into the world of dress shoes, you're going to have to learn about lasts and to select one which fits you. If you can stretch it to a Loake 1880 as @jas0nt said, the Capital last is quite forgiving and is a good starting point.

Since you're in Melbourne, may be time to pay a visit to Beggar Man Thief in the city, have a look at styles and the variety of dress shoes. They stock Loakes and you may even find one on sale/special if you're lucky! A good place to try a few on and determine a size and last (and width) which fits. Have fun shopping and good luck.

1 person likes this.
  4. wurger

wurger Well-Known Member

Take loakes in the same size of your RMW.

5. blahman

blahman Well-Known Member

Someone mentioned Beggar Man Thief went under.

On the good old RM Williams, I did not know LV bought half of them which is a bit sad really.

6. acinod

acinod Well-Known Member

Thanks for the responses all. Unfortunately I already have a pair of Loake 1880, the Aldwych in the Capital last. Tried them on at Beggar's Man Thief and bought from Herring. It would've been perfect for this occasion but my Aunty requires me to wear new shoes. The wedding is also in 3 weeks so I'm worried whether I'll be able to buy online since most stores are quite far away. Also is Loake 1880 better than RM Williams? I was hoping to get the Comfort Craftsman for work as well since I walk quite a bit and want to save my Aldwych for nicer occasions. It'll also double up for casual occasions as well.

Any other recommendations for an everyday work shoe considering I already have the Loake Aldywch for my budget?

7. Yowzer

Yowzer Well-Known Member

Oh wow... wouldn't have imagined it but what a shame if it is. The website was still up when I looked however.

That's good to hear. Sorry mate if I was preaching but when you said 'Aunty' my mind kinda went into a hole [​IMG]. I would take Loake 1880 over RMW for general better build quality and look. I have a pair of RMW CC as well which I don't wear too much due to poor fit (and they squeak even after recrafting). Maybe a semi-brogue with a dainite sole this time from the Loake 1880 range, in dark brown perhaps? Can't go wrong with brown if you already have a black.

Edit: Was googling for something else and found this place http://southmelbournemarket.com.au/traders/brothers-got-sole/ Looks like an interesting place.

8. Oli2012

Oli2012 Well-Known Member

I would go the Loake Buckingham / Herring Richmond in dark brown.

RMWs are a great boot FWIW - definitely on par with Loake 1880.

9. blahman

Their twitter account hasn't been active since christmas and candyman site is gone and so is their Facebook page.

In other news, finally made my way to Vic Market to that little belt stall in the middle that's been there for ages. Managed to get a black 1.25" belt for work for a whole 25 smackaroos. You pick your belt blank (single piece full grain), pick your buckle, get measured and they cut and finish the belt. Supports our Aussie businesses. Why anyone pay any more for crud like Ted Baker I don't even.

2 people like this.
  10. jmills

jmills Well-Known Member

How formal is the wedding? I'd probably just go for a quarter/semi-brogue if you're looking for a tasteful black shoe that will serve mostly the same purposes as the Aldwych - something like the Loake Strand. It is also on the same last as the pair you already have, so you can be certain of the sizing.

Loake vs. RMW is all about how well a pair of boots meshes with your overall style. Otherwise, they both have reasonable quality construction. The RMWs will probably be better for walking longer distances actually, as you've mentioned, because the leather is quite a bit softer than the Loakes. The RMWs can also be more easily repaired, since they can easily be returned to the factory.

I'm not sure how popular this will be, but just don't drag down your nice office look (esp. if its a suit) with a pair of RMs. Good dress shoes are much better.

1 person likes this.
  11. wurger

wurger Well-Known Member

Get a pair of Strands in Black.

Acinod, Does your Aunty know that wearing a pair of new shoes and standing for a whole day is like asking someone to bruise your feet?

1 person likes this.
  12. TheWraith

TheWraith Well-Known Member

LV bought 49% of RMW, blahman. So still majority Aussie owned...for the time being at any rate.

13. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Well-Known Member

Can one of the banking people tell me what GTSO I&IB stands for?

14. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

R M Williams Pty Ltd is a private company. It was taken private from public by Ken Crowley. In 2013 he sold 49% to L Capital Asia a private equity company and retained 51%. Although no announcement has been made it is widely accepted that in late 2014 Crowley sold his remaining 51% to L Capital Asia. L Capital Asia is backed by LVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton SA. LVMH hold brands such as Louis Vuitton, Marc Jacobs, Givenchy, Moet & Chandon and Bvlgari.

15. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

Gay Transexual Sexual Orientation Intersex & Institutional Banking

2 people like this.
  16. blahman

17. ruzzi

ruzzi Well-Known Member

1 person likes this.
  18. Oli2012

Oli2012 Well-Known Member

It's a standard fit M65, maybe sized up to fit over a jacket. Looks too #igent though.

If I wanted to keep warm on the east coast I'd probably just wear a cardigan and a scarf.

19. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Well-Known Member

20. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Well-Known Member

There was. Not sure if it is still there if they have gone into administration. I go to South Melbourne Market weekly but don't walk pass it usually. I'll look out for it next time I am there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.