• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomee

Reaction score
ok so this might sound dumb, but i have my sister in laws wedding coming up and was toying with getting my existing suit tailored or going to Adriano Carbone to get a suit made up.

looking on his site what is the difference between these?

made to measure
tailor made
bespoke

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
made to measure = he takes your measurements and adjusts a standard 'block' or pattern to more closely match yours

tailor made = NFI

bespoke = he takes your measurements and cuts a 'block' or pattern specifically for you

They are also listed in order of expensiveness - about $1,500 for MTM to about $6,000 I believe for bespoke

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tomee
ok so this might sound dumb, but i have my sister in laws wedding coming up and was toying with getting my existing suit tailored or going to Adriano Carbone to get a suit made up.

looking on his site what is the difference between these?

made to measure
tailor made
bespoke

Forget Carbone.... take the advice round her and got to Johnston.

elvish

Reaction score
Originally Posted by meister

+1
looking on carbone's website - his suits don't look too flash.

I know it's been answered before but in Syd, who is the best at alterations? Every store (cucinelli, RL, R&B, HB etc) I've visited has recommended Lucy but I seem to remember a backlash against her?

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Selvaggio
I think the DJs outlet at Birkenhead Point might have them. I have bought Pantherella socks there and they go for about $12 a pop and I am pretty sure they had some Marcoliani as well. Maybe call them first if it is not close by.

Have had a look at some of the other suggestions but will definitely check out the DJ outlet when next in Sydney, have to got soon down to my last half kilo of coffee beans from Cafe Hernandez.

tomee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by appolyon
made to measure = he takes your measurements and adjusts a standard 'block' or pattern to more closely match yours

tailor made = NFI

bespoke = he takes your measurements and cuts a 'block' or pattern specifically for you

They are also listed in order of expensiveness - about $1,500 for MTM to about $6,000 I believe for bespoke

thanks for the info

Originally Posted by meister
right i only mentioned Carbone because of a recommendation here
fight[1].gif
laugh.gif

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Apparently 30% off Herringbone stuff at DJs...

JohnsNotHere

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tano
Herringbone sale in Perth. Starts wednesday 18th May.
$70 Shirts, $30 ties. Anything worth picking up?

I walked in the store a few weeks ago and got a price for a tuxedo shirt, then walked straight out. Have not been back since.

Just out of curiousity, what was the price given?

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tano
I walked in the store a few weeks ago and got a price for a tuxedo shirt, then walked straight out. Have not been back since.

Originally Posted by JohnsNotHere
Just out of curiousity, what was the price given?

Herringbone's regular shirts are typically around $179-$189, but their "tuxedo" shirts command a premium - the last I looked, they were asking $249 for one.

Obviously, they're a bit different from a regular shirt as they have a poplin body and sleeves, with a marcella collar and marcella "bib" on the front of the shirt.

JohnsNotHere

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Journeyman
Herringbone's regular shirts are typically around $179-$189, but their "tuxedo" shirts command a premium - the last I looked, they were asking $249 for one.

Obviously, they're a bit different from a regular shirt as they have a poplin body and sleeves, with a marcella collar and marcella "bib" on the front of the shirt.

Expensive but not obsecene. I'll be there on Wednesday to see if I can pick up some decent ties.

Selvaggio

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Geoffrey Firmin
Have had a look at some of the other suggestions but will definitely check out the DJ outlet when next in Sydney, have to got soon down to my last half kilo of coffee beans from Cafe Hernandez.

I must warn you that - other than socks and undies - there is very little there worth considering. Sometimes, they have Baubridge and Kay shirts. They had decent looking DJ brand trench coats once. If they have nice shoes - and it is a very big 'if' - they are invariably size 13.

Overall it is pretty dire.

It used to be much better, but these days it a bit nasty. Piles of tat and the high end stuff that is there is all very wierd - think satin Versace jeans reduced from $1200 down to $300 - that sort of thing.

I happen to live nearby and sometimes call in when I am doing my groceries in the same centre.

You can get lucky with the socks, though.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Selvaggio
all very wierd - think satin Versace jeans reduced from $1200 down to $300 - that sort of thing.

Thirty years too late, would have been just the thing for Stranded on a Sunday night.

Mr Boo

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a store in Sydney that sells Hugo Boss or Ralph Lauren hats / caps as David Jones in the city only had a minimal selection?

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by appolyon
made to measure = he takes your measurements and adjusts a standard 'block' or pattern to more closely match yours tailor made = NFI bespoke = he takes your measurements and cuts a 'block' or pattern specifically for you They are also listed in order of expensiveness - about $1,500 for MTM to about $6,000 I believe for bespoke
"Tailor made" might be a Made to Order type service, where only your chest, arms and body length are measured, which is less developed than MTM services such as PJohnson proffer.

Selvaggio

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Geoffrey Firmin
Thirty years too late, would have been just the thing for Stranded on a Sunday night.

You got it. Not out by years - we are talking decades. ...and yes would also not be out of place in the Berlin Club or even Rogues in the latter part of the golden decade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads