1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CraigC

CraigC Well-Known Member

Alas no I didn't pick up on your shade requirement.

2. Foxhound

Foxhound Well-Known Member

Shout out to whichever gods put me in a tight little bus with a group of cute backpackers.

Just arrived in Kathmandu and hanging out in the hotel.

6 people like this.
  3. crappbag

crappbag Well-Known Member

LM uppers are definitely a cut above classic line in terms of softness and quality. However, I don't think that necessarily means they will last any longer.

That said, carmina isn't much more $ and I would go for carmina over LM.

4. LTM

LTM Well-Known Member

They might still be local goat wool so if you like them and do the job why not? Which market as I'll be in KTM later this year also?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2015
  5. Mifune

Mifune Well-Known Member

It's a Caruso so it shouldn't be fused.

Thanks for the advice...do you have any recommendations re. good brands to look towards for unstructured and unlined summer jackets? Unfortunately cannot afford Neapolitan stuff like Attolini.

6. Mifune

Mifune Well-Known Member

Check out the shoe list on Parisian Gentleman's website, he has them sorted out by price range. Beware though, you may become tempted to up your budget!

7. FTRussell

FTRussell Member

I agree with petepan

For the purpose of this discussion I am ignoring fully fused jackets.

I offer both half and full canvased construction and have never experienced problems with either. Both methods have a hand worked 3 layer chest piece made of horsehair, domette and canvas.

Does canvas breathe better than fusing? Yes, but it will probably wear a little warmer. You must keep in mind that the canvase is made of 3 layers so it is much heavier than fusing. So why would I encourage a client to invest in the full canvases option? Fit.

In my experience, not only can canvas be manipulated more easily and to greater effect than fusing, but over time the canvas will also soften and mould itself to the wearers body.

Will full canvas last longer? Possibly, but if good quality fusing is used, installed properly and garment is care for correctly I think a half canvased jacket will serve well for a long time.

so what should you do? in my opinion you should sit down with your tailor and decide where and how you will wear the jacket then together you can decide on the cloth and lining that will best suit your needs, perhaps even choose not to line the rear..

Fiona

8. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Well-Known Member

Good stuff Foxy. I remember my bus ride in from Tibet - mudslides, boarded by the army, people sitting on my knee. Was glad to Kathmandu. After the terrible food in Tibet went straight to the pizza place (Fire and Ice from memory) for some pizza and ice cream. Kathmandu is a wonderful but confusing place - usually takes me half a day at most to get my bearing....Kathmandu was more like 3. Would love to good back.

Hope you have a wonderful trip.

9. Pink Socks

10. Pink Socks

For anyone interested Bloomingdales have a good sale and cheap shipping to Australia (15 AUD). Their site takes you straight to Australia one with a AUD prices, which with conversion rate is about the same as the US site. Code NEWYEAR gets you an extra 25% off.

Just order a couple of Eidos things....

11. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Well-Known Member

So what's on everyone's 2015 sartorial wish list?

Mine? Not that much. Will probably check out uniglow later in the year for a couple of new v-neck jumpers to replace old tatty ones. Also thinking about a belted moto jacket, despite JM's advice that I'll risk looking like a poser (I am one). Strictly for casual wear, not to wear over suits mind.

Will also try to sell/donate some stuff I don't really wear that much anymore.

12. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

For my amusement I'd like to see you order a special TOJ leather jacket, a vintage thirst silk tie form our friend Gianni, some trousers from Ambrosi, a pair of bespoke shoes and a green leather breast wallet. Also a trip to Napoli to get a cheap suit from one of Tacknaccies ex old age pensioner houseboys.

13. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Well-Known Member

The icing on the cake would be if PoP's TOJ turned up before foxy's :p

1 person likes this.
  14. Spandexter

Spandexter Well-Known Member

Mid grey suit (probably Oscar Hunt)
    Blazer (mtm or otr - not sure yet)
    Pair of beater brown boots for wet weather
    Pair of dark brown/burgundy dress shoes
    A couple of new ties

I have a pair of Alfred Sargent brown cap toes that are just too light a brown to feature in my shoe rotation. Has anyone considered sending a pair off to someone like Dandy Shoe Care to have a different color/patina applied?

15. FTRussell

FTRussell Member

is there any love for Uniqlo on here? I went to the chaddy store for the first time last week. I thought it was great. stocked up on pj's, t-shirts and a pair of golf trousers and golf polo for the hubby

16. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

Just do it yourself - with darker nuggett or even better cream polish - has a bit more colour in it. If you are nervous only go one shade darker at first. If you are confident or foolhardy hit them with some black or burgundy or a mix of both for a loverly dark reddish brown. Yummo.

17. ryanohare

ryanohare Well-Known Member

Major love from me.

It's just terrific for the price you pay. I raped it over Xmas for socks, plain white T's, chino's, some oxford's, even the jeans fit my chunky thighs like a dream.

You can't beat it for wardrobe staples.

18. Pink Socks

Bought a couple of the OCBD. Great value and fit for $30.

19. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Well-Known Member

Better still - I'll order 6 foreskin leather jackets, 8 pairs of crotchless trousers and 12 takky ties in one go!

20. Oli2012

Oli2012 Well-Known Member

After I find a job I'll probably order some M2M business shirts from SS (x5 white, x1 pale blue).

When our dollar recovers I'll slowly replace my 3 shoe wardrobe with Herring stuff.

And fingers crossed Jason will sell a red grenadine this year in a fina weave.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.