1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Well-Known Member

If you can't see how you're being dismissive than please come to my Year 10 English class Monday, Wednesday and Friday and you'll have the pleasure of learning - from 16 year olds - how your language is constructed to dismiss others' views.

This is a serious offer, they would love the chance to show off what they've learned. They'd also relish the opportunity to make fun of me for being on an internet forum about clothes/getting worked up in general.

2. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Well-Known Member

Matt, I suppose all I'm pointing out is that the statement "it is absurd to make any judgment about a person based on their use of a pocket square" is entirely reasonable, but it is nevertheless simply an opinion. It belongs in the realm of theory. In practice, it may or may not be appropriate to care about people who think this way.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but you appear to be advocating a zero-tolerance approach to people who hold such absurd views. Of course you have every right to take this approach yourself, and in your "real world" this is no doubt completely acceptable; but others have made the argument that their particular career circumstances require the exercise of a certain degree of compromise. That's their "real world".

So when someone argues against your view by citing "the real world" or "in real life", what they are really implying by those phrases is "my circumstances are different from yours" - and by further implication, their choices will necessarily often be different from your own.

Vive la difference.

2 people like this.
  3. Petepan

Petepan Well-Known Member

If I gave you the impression of being dismissive, then please accept my apologies. I have already explained my meaning and intent, but apparently that is still not sufficient for you.

You do get worked up over very minor issues. It manifests itself in your language, expletives and insults. I do sincerely suggest you work on that.

1 person likes this.
  4. LonerMatt

5. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Well-Known Member

Maybe a time-out? Take it to PM? I spoilered my last comment, in consideration of other forumites who might be tiring of the discussion (even though it's by no means off-topic).

6. LonerMatt

Cox,

While I'd entirely agree that:
    a) There are notable differences beyond and individual's control
    b) We don't always get what we want

What's perplexed me (and what I was trying to get at) was that people kind of shrug this behaviour or attitude off. It's ludicrous to suggest that someone would go bonkers over being asked to put a PS away, but I'm surprised that people just accept it?

If my boss told me that BD shirts were too casual, I'd probably just wear my non-BD shirts, but at the same time I'd be thinking 'dude, get a life'. So, is that zero-olerance? I don't know. Obviously not everyone thinks like I do and a large par of any workplace is getting along with others, but there are also boundaries - and a pocket square seems a very small and irrelevant part of someone to bother judging or criticising. It's those critics whom I'm wondering and snarky towards, really.

Don't you ever hear something and just think 'of all the parts of the world to judge or nitpick, is this REALLY worth it?' (in fact, I'm sure people wonder that about me at times, fairly enough!).

7. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Well-Known Member

Something to consider, and maybe this has come up and I've missed it is that whether or not you think people are over-reacting if they judge you for wearing a pocket square it doesn't really matter, because it's out of your control what they think. If they are closed minded enough to think that then that's there problem but that person may also be your boss, or a very important client so whether we like it or not if we have to take that in to consideration. And hey, I sell pocket squares...

8. Petepan

Matt, would it not be more prudent, before making a judgment, to understand the views of the said person who objects to the pocket square? It is obviously small and irrelevant to you, perhaps it might not be to the other person. On the face of it, everyone would think that Van Halen were just idiots nitpicking on Brown M&Ms. The actual reason turns out to be pretty rationale. Best to keep an open mind- which is behavioural difficult, because our brains are wired to take short cuts to save energy.

9. LonerMatt

That's fair.

The original impetus for the conversation was PR feeling that a white PS would push the boundaries, which still sounds extreme to me, but nevertheless I got he impression it was an implied criticism and judgement, not a uniform or dress policy, and therefore a little bit more repressed.

However, what could be a possible objection to the PS??

I know in the medical fields accessories are often banned as they can carry germs and bacteria, but what other ones exist?

10. Petepan

Back in the old days of IBM, it was white shirt and muted tie ONLY. I would think that you will get a quick word pretty quickly with a pocket square in that environment. The rationale of Watson's dress code is to match dressing with customers (back in days when IT purchasers are big wigs in suits, not the Silicon Valley casual nowadays).

Most of CBD Sydney is still swathed in ill-fitting black suits, gaudy bright silk ties, white shirts, and scuffed bicycle shoes. I would think that in a lot of conservative environments, especially for juniors, even a white PS will be a jarring oddity.

Things are changing, but changes are much slower in these environments. We got to be careful even with fragrances. I actually heard of an OHS complaint once due to a lady wearing perfumes.

11. Arch3r

Arch3r Well-Known Member

Do you even PS?

In other news it's hot and am seriously considering the temptation of shorts, thongs & beer.

Joined the whisky club last month and just took delivery of the first bottle anCoc 16yo. Looking forward to cracking it tonight. Anybody else been to the virtual tastings they run?

12. Petepan

It is quite close to beer o'clock. PS is handy for wiping beer spillages, I suppose.

Never tried the anCoc 16yo yet. Still going through a Yamazaki (this is really smooth) and a Bowmore.

13. Oli2012

Oli2012 Well-Known Member

FXH - can I PM you for watch advice?

14. Foxhound

Foxhound Well-Known Member

He might be busy on the weekend so make sure you do it in a timely manner.

1 person likes this.
  15. DartagnanRed

DartagnanRed Well-Known Member

I bought myself a Lagavulin 16 a couple of months ago. Then my dad gifted me a Lagavulin 16 last month. Then today a guy at work has bought me a bottle of whisky, it's a (wait for it) Lagavulin 16... There are far worse things to be thrice gifted though.

2 people like this.
  16. Oli2012

Oli2012 Well-Known Member

Acid trip?

17. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Well-Known Member

Out scouring for Keef!

18. Sharpe

Sharpe Well-Known Member

Picked up a suit (and cotton sports coat) from Oscar Hunt today for my upcoming wedding.

It's nice.

1 person likes this.
  19. Arch3r

Arch3r Well-Known Member

Don't mind the Yamazaki, hibiki 17 leaves it for dead though.

My fav Scotch period, I don't seem to be able to keep it in th house what with my Mrs loving it too.

Pics! I've decided I'm finally going to get a navy sports coat commissioned and am keen for any and all inspiration.

20. Sharpe

Sharpe Well-Known Member

Pics will follow at some point - though I do love it, I am a little concerned that people will nitpick it in some way!

With the sports coat, I did get it in the dark navy. Nothing too flash; the pockets are flap pockets though I did consider patch pockets. I also got a 'natural shoulder' originally but they put in a small amount of padding after the first fitting.

Have you been to Oscar Hunt before?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.