1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Well-Known Member

Interesting to read all the to-and-fro about various musicians; I do stand by my comments on The Edge. He emerged during an era in rock'n'roll when technical prowess was eschewed by many. He's probably a very competent technician, but I was referring to his distinctive sound and style, which was unlike anything else around at that time and yet perfect for its time.

For anyone vaguely interested in/curious about English pop music of the late 70s, the names John McGeoch and Andy Gill might also resonate. Or they might not. Two crucial, hugely influential axemen whose contribution is now largely forgotten. McGeoch came to notice with Magazine, then underpinned Siouxsie's sound during her heyday, and later was a keystone of PiL. He left the music industry to study nursing and died young, a few years back. Gill was guitarist, songwriter and producer for Gang of 4, a band literally decades ahead of their time. His guitar work on their first album "Entertainment!" has to be heard to be believed - fractured, discordant, jarring, and just soooooo weirdly brilliant.

What astounds me about that era is the number of people who apparently just appeared from nowhere and then proceeded to redefine music. Could it happen now? Who knows, perhaps it is happening now and I'm just too old and out-of-the-loop to realise it.

Props to Foxy for mentioning Zappa. Another giant.

1 person likes this.
  2. Oli2012

Oli2012 Well-Known Member

Meanwhile Gerry Harvey and co will be whinging because they can't purchase air conditioners overseas to hock off at enormous 'interest free' prices...

3. Romp

Romp Well-Known Member

We have natural shoulder. It's 90% of what we make. We just don't have a completely unpadded shoulder.

1 person likes this.
  4. jas0nt

jas0nt Well-Known Member

Romp how many fittings is usually required for a SS suit to be made? I don't live in Sydney/Melbourne so am unsure as to what options I have.

5. Romp

Romp Well-Known Member

Detailed first fitting followed by a 2nd fit when it's in.

If you don't have the option for the 2nd fitting we can courier it and do via Skype although not as ideal

1 person likes this.
  6. wurger

wurger Well-Known Member

For me, one fitting before the order, and some final adjustments when the suit arrived.

7. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Well-Known Member

Rock guitarists ho hum, if you want real guitarists who know how to make the instrument really sing listen to Grant Green, Bill Frisell or Mahvishnu John McLaughlin.

I do think that Juju and The Correct Use of Soap were two of the best post punk albums of the 80's still listen to them on a regular basis.

2 people like this.
  8. Foxhound

Foxhound Well-Known Member

White Light/White Heat is gets my vote.

9. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Well-Known Member

New tumblr. Can anyone advise me how to check the page-view rate? I presume there is some mechanism for doing that, but I don't know what it is.

2 people like this.
  10. logiclusion

logiclusion Well-Known Member

Tumblr's not great with that kind of information, so you need to add a third party hit counter.
    For the best and most detailed information you're likely to get, use Google Analytics, which will give you more metrics than you'll ever even need to consider.

11. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

foxy - you've just gone up a notch or two on my database. Live version.

12. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

Cox,

I had a quick look and you've got some nice photos, but (just me personal opinion) your Tumblr would look better and tidier if you put up photos separately instead of putting lots of disparate, apparently unconnected photos into long posts.

As an example, when you put up a photo of (say) a watch, your post only consists of a couple of photos of said watch, and you then tag the post with posts such as "watch"; "Patek Phillipe", "Tourbillon", or whatever other tags seem appropriate.

The same goes for your photos of China - just put up one or two photos from Shanghai or wherever in a post and then tag them with "Shanghai", "China", "Architecture", "Gardens" or whatever seems appropriate.

People who then search for photos linked with those tags will be able to see your posts amongst other posts with those tags.

13. deingesicht

deingesicht Well-Known Member

I'm not looking forward to the day with the AUD starts to fall...I'm having nightmares about it currently :(

1 person likes this.
  14. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Well-Known Member

15. deingesicht

deingesicht Well-Known Member

Then all my clothes, shoes, and holidays all become that much more expensive

16. BaldwinP

BaldwinP Well-Known Member

Yeah. My honeymoon is in the US, and while flights and accom are already booked and paid for I suspect it'll be worth my while to go lock in 5 or 10k worth of US dollar spending money ASAP.

17. PapaRubbery

PapaRubbery Well-Known Member

Not a honeymoon, but going to the US for a month in Dec, and thinking of locking in $2-3k for everyday expenses. Everything else has already been paid for.

PS: Back from China, no buttrape - but amazing Ring Jacket, and Nelson at Ascot Chang is making a few minor adjustments on my shirt and then will post back.

No pictures yet I'm afraid.

18. Foxhound

Foxhound Well-Known Member

With all the talk about the dollar dropping I decided to order that last Barbour I'm after. Just a heads up, End will no longer ship Barbour products outside the EU.

19. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Well-Known Member

Without dampening your enthusiasm, tumblr is a slowly dying platform. I get less engagement from it than anything else now. Instagram is really the best for a more personal experience with better instant engagement. Works very well for me anyway.

20. Romp

Romp Well-Known Member

I'd say it's a quickly dying platform... Actually it's already dead

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.