1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

I'm an education student & need some cheap nice stuff - thats for the info!

Tried posting in some other threads and found people here very snooty. Where I will be working sporting a $10 tie is considered way overdressed.

Lands End has a sale on at the moment - not just on their Canvas site. They also have an Australian return address. Good quality cheap-ish stuff. No questions return.

2. pasey25

pasey25 Well-Known Member

I will if I have to but their website says they open at 11am and I'd like to arrive around that time. it's a 40 min drive in so it would be good to know if anyone else knew

they were open.

was such a nice experience. Discussed with Allesandro that I found the store via SF - he has said he'll join up since he'd had a few other people mention it to him

The Pisano suits were more or less sold out. The ones they had looked pretty well finished for the price.

I ended up with another suit - italian made and half canvassed for $300, and a winter jacket for $250. I only really looked at a few select things. there is a LOT more for me to go back to investigate. I was there with my wife and 11 month old daughter so didn't have ages to linger.

3. tone76

tone76 Well-Known Member

Lands End has a sale on at the moment - not just on their Canvas site. They also have an Australian return address. Good quality cheap-ish stuff. No questions return.

I've bought stuff from LE and been generally happy with it; mainly kids clothes for the spawn, but I have bought a couple of things for myself. I bought some plain white dress shirts a while back. They feel nice and are reasonable quality, but they seem to wrinkle very easily. That said, I did buy them from the 'On The Counter' section for about $15 each; probably explains why they were so cheap. [​IMG]

4. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

Have you bought their Polos before? And if so how do you find the fit?

I have been buying Southern Tide polos the past couple of years but these look nice and simple.

The Lands End Canvas polos are what I would call a "medium" fit - they are reasonably slim-fitting but still have room to move. They fall in between the standard Lands End and the tailored Lands End fit.

If it's any help, I'm 180cm (6ft) and weigh 100 kg, with a 44" chest and a 38" waist, formerly athletic but now carrying some extra weight which is pretty evenly distributed (ie no big belly). The "L" size is a good fit on me - reasonably slim but not too tight.

If you want a slimmer fit, then look at the "tailored" polos from LE's regular line.

5. meister

meister Well-Known Member

I've bought stuff from LE and been generally happy with it; mainly kids clothes for the spawn, but I have bought a couple of things for myself. I bought some plain white dress shirts a while back. They feel nice and are reasonable quality, but they seem to wrinkle very easily. That said, I did buy them from the 'On The Counter' section for about $15 each; probably explains why they were so cheap. [​IMG]

My sons have different tastes in shorts and like the Landsend on special ones cater for both.

6. meister

Big fan of nurses. The way they took care of my missus during a major illness was pretty amazing. The doctors were great as well, but I was really knocked out by the nurses in a busy, major metropolitan public hospital.

I have had a similar situation not just the missus but number one son with emergency appendix unlike father at 50 with full peritonitis and also excellent care in a public hospital...

7. meister

Thanks

I got the Tefal from Myers a few years back as that was the only place where someone could talk sensibly about irons and ironing - us iGents are fussy. A bit of weight is nice but you can add your own weight by pressing down.

The Tefal was the first non stick I've owned and it has been fine. Usually bad non sticks are a problem as you can't clean the non stick if it gets a bit iffy. Stainless steel bottoms can be cleaned easily.

The Tefal went back and I have stayed weith Sunbeams since.

8. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

The Tefal went back and I have stayed weith Sunbeams since.

got the Sunbeam for $44 down from $99 - it works. I was surprised to see some still don't have auto off - weird.

9. meister

got the Sunbeam for $44 down from $99 - it works. I was surprised to see some still don't have auto off - weird.

It is a heavyish iron with a good steam "caldera" that gives a great shot o'steam.

10. ColonialBoy

ColonialBoy Well-Known Member

I've always wondered what the response would be if you photshopped a brioni/kiton tag onto a target jacket. I think the majority are brand whores, just not for the "fashion" brands.
    Well for the past month I've been looking at stores like Drakes & buying something similar at 1/10th the price. Drakes has completely changed my ideas about ties. And I cant believe how cringe-worthy some of the clothing combinations are on this site, even with $400 shirts. There are lots of people here with money & no dress sense! There are some with lots of dress sense, and others with $50K clothes budgets, just about none with both! [​IMG]

11. tone76

tone76 Well-Known Member

Hmmm ... my wife's birthday is coming up soon. [​IMG]
    There are some with lots of dress sense, and others with $50K clothes budgets, just about none with both!
    Dress sense is subjective. I guess a lot of the SF Approved combinations are what is considered to be traditional American style. On the flipside, you do get to see some incredibly stylish inexpensive (though usually thrifted) ensembles getting rocked pretty hard. It's not difficult to find inspiration around here. I'm convinced my dress sense has improved dramatically over the 8 months or so I've been hanging around SF. It's also shown me just how poor much of my pre-SF wardrobe actually was ... although, and maybe this is just because - in my home town at least - every man and their dog wears these, I am still partial to bicycle toed shoes. I know they are a cardinal SF sin, but I prefer them to wingtips. [​IMG]

12. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Well-Known Member

Speaking of irons. I have cleaned ours, Sunbeam, but there is a build up of crap I noticed, yes she does all the ironing. If memory serves me correct one way to get grime off was by ironing brown paper? I know that you can get cleaning fluids for the steam vents but as this one is a non teflon plate I am somewhat vexed as to how to get this buildup of crap off.

Any suggestions?

13. TheWraith

TheWraith Well-Known Member

To keep the discussion on local tailors going, I just ordered an overcoat. Navy, double breasted, length just past the knee. I went with Loro Piana wool. The tailor even showed me a cashmere/mink(!) cloth sample for that ultimate luxury.

Which tailor?

14. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

I've always wondered what the response would be if you photshopped a brioni/kiton tag onto a target jacket. I think the majority are brand whores, just not for the "fashion" brands.

Mate of mine had a black Holden Astra with tinted windows - and - a BMW badge front and back + one of those shark fin aerials on the top of back window - hardly anyone doubted it was a BMW
    "er special European model mate? looks great"

Anyone for a Green Hermes Breast Wallet? - hardly used - rare model - long waiting list for them

15. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

Speaking of irons. I have cleaned ours, Sunbeam, but there is a build up of crap I noticed, yes she does all the ironing. If memory serves me correct one way to get grime off was by ironing brown paper? I know that you can get cleaning fluids for the steam vents but as this one is a non teflon plate I am somewhat vexed as to how to get this buildup of crap off.

Any suggestions?

Do your own ironing

16. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

Any suggestions?

If its a stainless steel model plate just clean it with a rough dish clothe and a bit of spray cleaner or a bit of liquid Jif stuff.

Run some vinegar and water through the iron - just like the coffee machine - has it got a self cleaning setting?

True iGents only use filtered organic rainwater captured in handblown glass tanks from the Tasmanian West Coast Wilderness.

17. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Well-Known Member

Do your own ironing
    No, as a former wardrobe mistress in the theatre she irons very well thank you. Puts perfect crease in all my shirt sleeve's. And yes I do use organic cleaning agents on my Expresso machine, sadly the water only comes from Lake Jindabyne

18. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

Hmmm ... my wife's birthday is coming up soon. [​IMG]

Committed feminist I see.

19. __PG__

__PG__ Well-Known Member

No, as a former wardrobe mistress in the theatre she irons very well thank you. Puts perfect crease in all my shirt sleeve's.
    I thought that a properly ironed shirt (using a sleeve board) would have no creases.

20. Lowly Public Servant

Lowly Public Servant Well-Known Member

I thought that a properly ironed shirt (using a sleeve board) would have no creases.
    What is a sleeve board?

I hate getting / putting creases in my sleeves.

I googled it but just got some pics of smaller ironing boards.

LPS[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.