1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Well-Known Member

Thanks for the input!

:)

2. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Well-Known Member

Luxire just don't do pleats well. I've got trousers from them in flat, forward and reverse pleats and the flat fronts are the only ones I'm happy with. The pleats seem to be too shallow and too short. I've raised it twice in the thread with no response.

3. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Well-Known Member

See, Matt, you sound really genuine. If you were, you would have pm'ed me that. Instead, you wasted all your time (when you could have been helping a teenager in Warnambool) to make a pointless and pretty lame insult. Good try though.

In the meantime, I'll appreciate people like Wurger, who do indulgent things, such as buying 10+ pairs of black cap toes because they are passionate and interesting. And I won't make comments to him, such as, 'wow, I wish I could blow a heap of money on shoes', because, well, that's just rude.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  4. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Well-Known Member

Can you help me, Matt?

Probably too late.

5. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

Me, too.

I've got a mix of trousers with flat fronts, forward pleats and reverse pleats.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, my most comfortable and best-fitting pairs of trousers are made-to-order from Deer Style in Brisbane, with deep, single reverse pleats.

I tend to prefer reverse pleats (where the pleats face away from the front of the trousers, towards the side pockets) to forward pleats as I find that forward pleats tend to flare open a bit. That's probably just due to my build, though, rather than to any specific characteristic of forward pleats in general.

I also find that most off-the-rack trousers with pleats usually make the pleats too short and too shallow. I think that one, deeper pleat is better than a couple of short, shallow pleats.

6. Foxhound

Foxhound Well-Known Member

JH. DR's post wasn't snide at all. He was just stating that he desired the financial ability to be make a relatively large purchase quite quickly. I thumbed his comment because it was funny and a good comeback. If anyone else had of said something against him and he said that in response, I still would have thumbed it.

Regardless, the sexual tension between you should really be addressed.

4 people like this.
  7. LonerMatt

Oh :(.
    This was very, very, very helpful - thanks JM!
    You don't need help, you're great being you!
    1. I was genuine, even if I was also making fun of you - this was intentional because I assumed that, if you wanted to, you could actually be a regular without being a regular jerk. I might be wrong - it happens.

2. I can't help a teenager in Warrnambool in 30 seconds - if I were that good I'd be insanely proud, I need at least 15 minutes.

3. It's not rude, I can't see how it's rude, your judgement seems arbitrary. It's bizarre that for a forum (and a thread) where ludicrous amounts of money are spent people are somehow adverse to talking about money, commenting on price, even though - explicitly - we talk about getting the same quality for less price all the time. There seems to be these weird double standards around what's acceptable or not - none of which make any sense to me - few of which are informative.

4 people like this.
  8. PapaRubbery

PapaRubbery Well-Known Member

Agreed, Jason.

For my next pair I'll go flat fronts (already got 1 pair of flat fronts from them), and then might try a pleated pair, and link to an image of deep, long pleats so they get the picture (lolseewhatididthere?).

Thanks to those about a week ago who recommended Ascot Chang in HK. I'm in HK for 36 hours from Sunday night, and then back in HK for 10 hours tuesday week. I've got myself booked in first thing Monday morning - then on to the michelin star dim sum joint to ensure I don't fit the shirt by the time I get it.

Was going to hit up the Armoury as well, try on some Ring Jacket luvin'. Any other #menswear recommendations?

9. JimmyHoffa

1. Do you often come across as genuine with people you want to help, but take the piss out of them at the same time? I fail to see how that is a constructive strategy to helping people.

2. It didn't take you 30 seconds to write that - at least 5 minutes. I don't see the need to be sarcastic?

3. Talking about price is one thing, but passing judgement on someone else's spending habits, or the way in which they choose to spend their money is another. Maybe I am knit picking.

I probably take what some people say too seriously. Is it not better to take something seriously, than as a joke? Especially when you only have text to go off?

I think I know DR. We may have gone to school together. Definitely nothing sexual.

10. Foxhound

This is starting to make a lot more sense.

11. JimmyHoffa

I can't confirm who DR is, but if my suspicions are correct, I may have only known him briefly in primary school. He left the local school to go to a 'talented and gifted school' for high achieving individuals.I hope this explains why I make the odd jibe at him - something I'll stop doing.

12. Foxhound

To be fair man you should stop making conclusions about other people and let them make their own impressions and present themselves.

1 person likes this.
  13. DartagnanRed

DartagnanRed Well-Known Member

Probably doesn't warrant a reply, but can't help myself.

My comment wasn't snide or snarky, wasn't intended as such and I doubt it was taken as such by anyone except yourself.

I think you waste enough time and cause enough issues misinterpreting comments directed at you, without delving into comments directed at others.
    Refer to my previous comment:
    I see you once again edited your comment, if this is what it looked like after I'd hate to see what it was before...

But actually, I do know because it shows up in my email annoyingly:
    You don't know me, stop pretending you do. Indeed you don't know anyone on this forum and it continues to freak people out that you pretend like you do. You don't know my background or my means or lack thereof. You are the LEAST qualified person on this thread to even begin commenting on issues of "rudeness" or what is appropriate to say or not.

[​IMG]
    Mm, sadly ironic that you misinterpret a guy who wants to help you with your rampant misinterpretation.

I don't want you to misconstrue any of what I've said as friendly banter so let me spell it out. You have issues, and you need to work them out. There's nothing wrong with being a bit weird, but you consistently make people feel uncomfortable. Many people have pointed this out to you, you continue to ignore them. Quite a few people on this thread have just taken to the tactic of ignoring you, I'm not going to do that because you continually target me personally.

I went to school with thousands of people across 12 years. You knew me briefly in primary school. I might be a good bloke, I might not be, frankly you don't know. please stop pretending you know me, please do not speak about me and please do not broadcast some sort of companionship over the internet.

14. DartagnanRed

DartagnanRed Well-Known Member

MICHAEL SY FUCKING DELETE EVERYTHING YOU HAVE WRITTEN ABOUT ME YOU DON'T KNOW ME. YOU DO NOT HAVE A RIGHT TO BROADCAST ANY OF MY LIFE OR YOUR PATHETIC IMPRESSIONS OF IT ON THE INTERNET.

15. PapaRubbery

Yeah fucken nah, you're alright cunt.

Don't let some flamin' galah get you down bruv.

16. wurger

wurger Well-Known Member

Things just got escalated quickly :fence:

17. PapaRubbery

[​IMG]

Awwwww shit, The Hoffa just took it to the next level of creepy.

18. JimmyHoffa

It's a shame you are so vain. But if you insist.

Done, I've amended my posts.

19. LonerMatt

1. No, I'm different in real life to how I am on the internet. As I suspect many of us are, to some degree. I think this is a key to perhaps your downfall in this thread: assuming that people's SF versions are representative of exactly who they are in other contexts - and that your conclusions based on that assumption are, often, wrong - hence you're misreading a lot of us, our discussions and our meanings.

2. I'm pretty quick at typing, but even if I under-estimated it's hardly an important point. This is also something to think about - I love the saying 'can't see the forest from the trees' - look at the big picture: should you really care about my ability to keep time, or worry more about your own ability to communicate and present yourself in a way that works for you and those around you?

3. I don't think that a person saying 'that's too much for me' or 'I don't think I could afford that' or 'I wish I had the cash to buy that' are comments about other people. It seems explicitly to be about that very poster, and as such I'm not sure how it could be read as 'passing judgement on another's spending habits' - those habits might be the impetus for such thoughts, those thoughts aren't judgements (or at least, aren't written as such).

3 people like this.
  20. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

MS/JH - I think that you are mis-interpreting or over-reacting again.

I can well understand why DRed would like to have personal information redacted, and it's got nothing to do with vanity.

As a gentle suggestion, perhaps you should think about simply responding to people without the need to insert a jab or a personal comment. Doing so serves no useful purposes and simply inflames things.

4 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.