1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Romp

Romp Well-Known Member

We have a wool/linen/mohair blend. Linen in the weft and wool in the warp. Still has the slubbiness of linen however better memory to help with the creasing. Still wont ease creasing like a pure wool. PJohnson have other blends to help with the creasing i.e. wool/linen

If you are getting into linen you need to have the expectation of creasing, its part of its charm.

1 person likes this.
  2. Stebbin

Stebbin Well-Known Member

I believe it's still possible to get decent shoes for under $200, albeit you have to go to overseas channels. I have a couple of pairs of MTO calfskin shoes from Shanghai Tianzi which are exceptional quality for the price of $221 USD. I've also found another supplier of goodyear calfskin shoes in China that make sub-$200 shoes. I haven't tried them yet but if they can deliver, it's a ridiculously good deal.

3. Oli2012

Oli2012 Well-Known Member

Could just be me but I don't think MTO is a great idea for a shoe noob.

4. Stebbin

They do come in standard sizes but the flipside is you don't have an opportunity to try them yourself before purchase, which has problems for the relatively inexperienced.

5. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Well-Known Member

Isn't this generally acknowledged? Did he acknowledge it himself? I can't remember.

Been a long time. I thought he was ace as well.

6. The Ernesto

Smeg, extremely impressed with the flange discussion. Should be more of it.

There was an excellent article that kind of explained manufacturing in Europe (Germany in particular) and how it excelled (traditionally at least) at the mid size company level. Was all based on family run businesses usually tied to a small or medium sized town. Interesting stuff.

1 person likes this.
  7. The Ernesto

Hehehe.

8. DartagnanRed

DartagnanRed Well-Known Member

Pics would be great, there's very few in-the-wild pics I've seen of Shanghai Tianzi.

9. TheWraith

TheWraith Well-Known Member

I've posted several photos here of my Shanghai Tianzi Shoes. For the price, they're ridiculously good (quality is very good, too, especially for the price).

10. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Well-Known Member

So, would you say the quality is good, for the price?

Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
    2 people like this.
  11. lachyzee

lachyzee Well-Known Member

More that the price is good for the quality, if I am interpreting correctly.

2 people like this.
  12. Stebbin

The calf leather they use gets buttery soft around the heels and ankles after repeat wears and they can also put on a topy sole for free if you order their goodyear welted shoes. An excellent value proposition, especially with the option of custom sizing and designs.

13. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

WIWY - Hail 12C. Winter Ivy
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Jacket - Vintage Anderson Little - Tweed brown, 3 button, no darts, hook vent, natural shoulders, 1/4 lined etc.
    Shirt - LE Hyde Park blue OCBD before they went wrong
    Tie - Vintage Australian fine weave wool brown
    Trousers - Euroa Clothing (Aust)- what we here call moleskins but really a soft thick twill. 8" bottom - 13" front rise. Not sure they still make 'em like this
    Shoes - Dark Brown pebble grain and suede brogue co-respondants.

1 person likes this.
  14. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

Calm down little buddy.
    Open or closed is a descriptor - not a preference.
    AFWIW I think in most cases theres bugger all difference that people would notice in closed or open.
    I have often touted open laced as more forgiving and therefore best for fit in many cases.

15. Superfudge

Superfudge Well-Known Member

16. lachyzee

Did anyone head to the Syd Herringbone pop up sale in the end? Curious as to whether there are any 40 knits for possible proxy-ing...

17. lachyzee

Opinions on the make up of mid-grey flannel trousers separates - pleats/flat fronts? belt loops/side adjusters? definitely cuffed.

I'm probably leaning toward flat front/belt loops, which has become my standard for other odd trousers at the moment. Suits are single reverse pleat/side adjusters.

18. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

Talking about affordable decent shoes - has anyone here tried Jocent Royal shoes? At around $250 for GYW. They offer a MTM service here in Melb where they will come around and measure you themselves (seems like a good idea given most MTM things I've seen where people measure themselves!) the web site is a bit confusing - it seems they offer both RTW and MTM but it isn't clear.

19. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

Here you go Oli

Height Increasing Shoes

Color: Black
    . Style: Handmade laceup dress shoes style
    . Totally invisible 6cm height increasing
    . Will not be notice by others even when you take them off
    . 3.5cm normal heel
    . 3.5cm hidden heel
    . Quality cow leather uppers provides extreme comfort
    . Pig leather linings promote a healthy foot environment by drawing moisture away
    . Prime urethane shock absorption soft pads
    . Flexible Rubber outsole with tread detailing for sure footing with each step
    . Supply Europe size 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42,

Embarrassment Free
    . We will ship your order in a shoes box and packed a plain bags outside or use plain box with no markings or labels that say anything about the product
    . Without any word like height increasing or elevator shoes at the outside bags, invoice, shipping form or anywhere
    . We will also declare the shoes as men's shoes or sample shoes to prevent embarrassing
    . Our name on the invoice will be Constep Shoe Company or Personal's name
    . No one will know what is inside!

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...ess-Office-Shoes-Oxford/314505_606553640.html

20. TheWraith

TheWraith Well-Known Member

Both :lol:

+1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.