1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DartagnanRed

DartagnanRed Well-Known Member

Your shoe query: http://pickstitches.tumblr.com/post/69575388755/shoes-in-australia-or-lack-thereof

Your suit query: http://pickstitches.tumblr.com/post/69559108727/mens-suits-in-australia

2. Oli2012

Oli2012 Well-Known Member

That is a really good write-up, compliments.

Edit: my only whinge is the Loake 1880s and the Herring classics will come in at $300AUD, plus most people manage to find a 10-20% discount.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
  3. lennier

lennier Well-Known Member

No Martin Barre otherwise I might have been tempted by Tull. And Yes with no Anderson or Wakeman, don't know. Although complete performances of Fragile and Close to the Edge does sound awesome if potentially insomnia-curing.

Clothing related: We're really keen to get a few more people along to the Suitably Connected networking event at Oscar Hunt on Thursday, so if all the SF folk that are coming could try to bring along one colleague or friend who would be interested we would romp it in!

4. DartagnanRed

DartagnanRed Well-Known Member

I think I said "up to" because of higher level Herring shoes like the made by Alfred Sargent models, but I'll update that and a few other things when I get the chance.

5. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

Prostitution rackets are running hundreds of illegal brothels from massage parlours, hair and nail salons and karaoke bars** in Melbourne, in which police say trafficked women and teenage girls work in secret.

Police investigating the city's illicit sex trade executed one of Victoria's largest operations against illegal brothels on Friday.

Officers stormed five suburban massage parlours and arrested two suspected brothel madams aged in their 20s.

Raids were carried out on parlours in Brunswick, Brunswick East, Coburg, Preston and Pascoe Vale.

And in other news:

Forensic analysis has revealed that 2.5 kilograms of the drug ice was secreted in tea products, bars of soap and "foot care cakes" in the luggage of a man arrested earlier this year in Melbourne.

Song Number 56 - The Love Cats
    Song Number 75 - Thick As A Brick
    Song Number 113 - Owner Of A Lonely Heart

Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
  6. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Well-Known Member

7. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Well-Known Member

Two Cabs to the Toucan?

8. FredAstaire1899

FredAstaire1899 Well-Known Member

I'm going on a domestic business trip on the Flying Kangaroo and was wondering what is the best way to transport a suit and sports coat?
    Do I need to look out for things like steel shanks in shoes and springs in shoes trees? Many Thanks.

9. Stiva

Stiva Well-Known Member

Wear the sports coat and have them hang it up or place it carefully folded in the overhead locker. If at pointy end carry suit in thin suit cover and have them hang up.

If not, pack the suit in your case (either carry on or checked) - there are many threads/sites that tell you how best to do so. At destination hang in bathroom while you have shower.

Steel in shoes is a problem if wearing, but not if packed.

1 person likes this.
  10. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Well-Known Member

Domestic is not like international. Unless your real name is Terry Wrist and you are planning to bring a knife on board you will be right re security. Even then... Steel shanks and shoe trees are no problem in hand luggage. Rarely a problem if you wear the shoes - it's not the US thankfully.

As for suit/sc wear the sc, pack the suit, or just leave the suit behind if you don't really, really need it. If you must bring a suit bring one you can wear the jacket of as a sc. Travel light.

1 person likes this.
  11. Stiva

Stiva Well-Known Member

I meant a problem with the shoes because you will have to take them off and put them through the X-ray machine. I hate that.

Travel light is right.

12. Nolvadex

Nolvadex Well-Known Member

if you are packing your suit, definitely put it in your carry on. you dont want other peoples luggage crushing it in the checked in luggage area.

1 person likes this.
  13. CHECKstar

CHECKstar Well-Known Member

14. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

Did I wear an Indian plaid madras shirt to work, along with a brown wool bow tie, navy jacket, brown cotton trousers and tan shoes?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 30, 2014
  15. The Ernesto

Yeah, I spose. Was a bit of a laugh along with Happy Birthday IBM and the like.

Better than the dreck they served up in later years.

16. The Ernesto

lol. Love it JM. F#ck you, world!

17. Foxhound

Foxhound Well-Known Member

When did you take a teaching position, JM?

18. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Well-Known Member

She said that I was the only one
    She said "My favourite boy"
    She said it to me in a nice way
    Over and out

Sigh oh misspent youth and the pussy that went with it.

1 person likes this.
  19. tchoy

tchoy Well-Known Member

20. CoffeeDudeGuy

CoffeeDudeGuy Well-Known Member

I also do what JayH does, prepare the Aeropress upside down so it does not leak everywhere, and then flip it around to press. I can take it everywhere, just need hot water. May try and join the Mile High Aeropress club, just for kicks [​IMG]

You won't get coffee as intense as an espresso, but definitely stronger than a French press. I use a metal filter so it does not taste too clean (and get all the good coffee oils).

If you want it quicker in the morning, have the coffee pre-grounded. Unless you have an electric grinder. Go with darker roasts, or play with different grind size since the extraction can be on the lighter side. I generally use 15-17g of coffee, and 190-200ml of water (slightly cooled off the boil). If making coffee for two, grind double the beans, make coffee, then top up with more hot water in the cups. I also use it as a tea filter, and some people use it to make cold drips or cocktails.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.