1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Plestor

Plestor Well-Known Member

Speedhooks.

2. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

3. Testo

Testo Active Member

Roger/fxh : Thanks, i guess i will try breaking them in first. Though i really want to get my insoles in there since they are orthopaedic ones and walking/standing for long periods in most shoes without arch support typically doesn't end well for me (i'm flat footed). I guess if it doesn't work i can just get them widened and pull off the glued insole to see if my insoles will fit...

Question about shoe polish : Does brand matter? Most people seem to think Kiwi is best, and i got a free tin of Herring shoe polish along with the shoe, and i've also got an unopened tin of polish from "Footcare International", just wondering if one will be better than the other.

I'm also a bit confused about shoe polish vs conditioner since most shoe polish says that it nourishes the leather which is what conditioner apparently does, do i really need conditioner too or will shoe polish just be fine?

4. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

If anyone happens to be interested, Malford of London is having a 30% off sale at present (enter "SALE30" at checkout).

MoL is a former affiliate and the owner, Stephen, is a lovely person who provides wonderful service.

I'm very, very tempted by this RRL hand-knitted cardigan, which is available in quite a few sizes:

http://www.malfordoflondon.com/ralp...navy-blue-cotton-knit-button-neck-jumper.html

It's worth noting that, as MoL is a small business, he is not registered for VAT (or he wasn't, the last time I bought something from him) and so there's no VAT deduction. However, that's made up for by the fact that his prices and shipping costs are very reasonable indeed.

5. TheWraith

TheWraith Well-Known Member

He's a delightful fellow.

If you see something for sale on his website that you really want, buy from home (via bank transfer). That way you won't lose out.

Or save your money, that's also a worthwhile endeavour ;)

6. nabilmust

nabilmust Well-Known Member

I might need to see him to service the PAM 111 -- if the folks at the Richemont aren't pleasant.

7. sliq

sliq Well-Known Member

Saw transformers last night. Tom Ford clothes got a heap of screen time. 3piece suit with wide knit tie, glasses, and navy blazer grey trousers and white shirt.

8. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

I wear a hard orthotic most times too. I have done for years so I'm used to it and buying shoes etc. Its best to get a custom one made at the podiatrist - then it can be made to fit in dress shoes a bit better. Take along a few of your shoes so the podiatrist can see what you are talking about. Of course an orthotic costs a lot more than a good pair of shoes. In general if you wear an orthotic for support underneath ( theres all kinds for different problems) you'll find open lacing the easiest to wear in shoes. A point with orthotics of this kind is that it generally effects the heel and grip the most. So you need a good cupping heel counter with a bit of height to cope. (don't worry about the arcane terms you'll get the idea) - In general you'll also find that a boot or chukka that grips the ankle makes for a better fit and more comfort. I've also got "loose ankle" so anything that straps the ankle helps too.

I wouldn't pull off the glued insole for a few reasons - not the least is that it isn't really all that thick and won't make a lot of difference. Depending on your orthotic you can get the podiatrist to shave a bit off it at strategic points. There are also now super thin /light carbon thingo orthotics that don't take up as much room in shoe but they again aren't cheap. In addition - you don't have to wear the orthotic all thetime. So - you can have a pair of "good" shoes that you mainly only wear when you wont be doing a lot of walking or standing - eg meetings, etc.

Even if you orthotic is off the shelf (OTR or RTW) you should still see a podiatrist to get the full info about it fitting dress shoes etc. Sadly not even all podiatrists see many good shoes - and are used to people with foot problems wearing sneakers. Without being mean - some women podiatrists know very little about mens dress shoes. Luckily mine is a bit of a shoe head and even got a copy of the VASS shoe book for his waiting room after I lent him some books.

Sorry to nag on but I (and a lot of others here) have a lot of years (on the shoulder!) experience with orthotics.

Re polish - its not something to lose any sleep about. Any polish is 100% better than none. Millions of well dressed men use only Kiwi and their shoes look fine. I just don't use waxy high shine polish - its just a personal preference. ( I won't say I think it can look tacky) . I usually use Collinol cream stuff with a sponge applicator - its convenient (important) and gives a nice dull shine, and has colour and its a bit of a conditioner in itself. If I'm traveling and need something I buy a small sponge applicator of Kiwi from supermarket - its no drama.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
  9. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Well-Known Member

MJ Bale launch a new website but don't fix the issues with the last one, I love it. But to celebrate the new site there's 30% off all full priced items calculated at the checkout for anyone interested. The Norwood suit is a good charcoal basic if you are getting started or looking to expand the wardrobe, can be picked up for $420

10. lachyzee

lachyzee Well-Known Member

There are so few full priced items on their store anyway....

Apart from stylistic issues, MJ Bale have definitely tried to increase their margins in recent years.

Staples that in the past would have been 100% wool or 100% cotton are now blends.

11. Petepan

Petepan Well-Known Member

12. lachyzee

13. Petepan

^^^ I've ordered the medium, 29 inches length, which fits just right for a SC on me (I have a shorter torso compared to arms and legs- just imagine a chimp variant shape, that's me). I think the jacket variant is longer than the blazer. I figured I can risk a punt at these low prices, especially since these are still make in the UK.

14. thebrownman

thebrownman Well-Known Member

Never met a man with more thirst on his shoulders than FXH...

15. lachyzee

Yeah, quilted jackets seem to fit shorter than what I am used to anyway I suppose.

16. Petepan

Could it be possible that part of the reason is actually a visual distortion, given the bulkiness and lack of drape?

17. lachyzee

It is definitely partly Yoox's awful product shot, but 30" is also reasonably short for outerwear in general I would say? In the blazer style anyway.

but, as I said, quilted jackets do seem to come shorter than most outerwear I'd say, see e.g. the classic Lavenham Boxford.

18. lachyzee

If only I could afford this

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.