1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elvish

elvish Well-Known Member

JSSM - the chap you are after is maher at M&R. He is very knowledgable and hilarious - depending on how you like your pants cut.. I'll let you find out bBLAH - gratzie buoni indirizzi [​IMG] Is knowledgable even a word? My professor uses it all the time..

2. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Well-Known Member

Wish I'd known you were going to Hobart - possibly best menswear shop in Australia is in Hobart see this post:: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...rt#post3818600
    fxf the name of said establishment? Going to go back for the October long weekend and take the wife to MONA and a few wineries. Bit pissed off with the EA at work she sent me to Hobart on a 8pm flight on Thursday arrived at the hotel at 10pm then straight out the door at 9am to work then straight to the airport and four hour trip back to Canberra[​IMG] [​IMG] The name of the store in Katoomba is The Hattery http://www.hatsdirect.com/ Also this was on the Guardian this morning http://www.tmlewin.com.au/on/demandw..._-NA-_-300x250

3. meister

meister Well-Known Member

I was in there a few weeks ago and was completely ignored, not that it bothered me much.

Off to an unexpected start for my first serious wardrobe. Stumbled across some half-price HB suits so I bought them.
    1. Charcoal with subtle blue pin stripe. I find it interesting, but possibly can't be used quite like a solid charcoal (though pin stripe is only noticeable close up).
    2. Mid grey with chalk stripe.
    3. Another mid grey with alternating light blue pin stripe.

I'm still unsure on them. I had planned on solids so it might take some time to become accustomed to the stripes. I do think they're more interesting as suits - over time, I may have become bored with a solid suit. The stripes possibly force more interesting combinations as well.

No navy in my size, and honestly, I didn't see a navy I liked anyway.

The pants may need to be taken in a touch, and the jackets could use some suppression. A tailor in Piccadilly was recommended, as was Looksmart by Herringbone (the latter having negative feedback on here). I recall a few mentions of a place in Wynyard.

I'm suddenly feeling the urge to return the suits and go for sports jackets + pants. Seems like it could be more fun, more versatile and a reasonable chance of being more longterm (given that I may become self-employed in the near future).

This 'working from home' does a lot to downsize the suits side of the wardrobe. A lot of places are cool with a sports jacket - no tie. I must have accumulated/bought like 200 ties and I suspect apart from a few that will be used they will have to go.

more versatile and a reasonable chance of being more longterm that about sums up the predicament.

4. JSSM

JSSM Well-Known Member

JSSM - the chap you are after is maher at M&R. He is very knowledgable and hilarious - depending on how you like your pants cut.. I'll let you find out

Thanks, sounds like it will be interesting!

This 'working from home' does a lot to downsize the suits side of the wardrobe. A lot of places are cool with a sports jacket - no tie. I must have accumulated/bought like 200 ties and I suspect apart from a few that will be used they will have to go.

more versatile and a reasonable chance of being more longterm that about sums up the predicament.

It's basically bang for buck versus practicality. I'm going to pick up some slacks and coats, see which I prefer. I can return the suits (if unused), but it might be a good idea to keep both types so I can decide over time what I prefer. It's not a great deal of money.

5. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

fxf the name of said establishment?

Sorry - crazy link I gave before

http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...postcount=1322

I'm arranging another long weekend down there- when the ice melts in Hobart - to visit MONA and Routleys

6. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Well-Known Member

Sorry - crazy link I gave before

http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...postcount=1322

I'm arranging another long weekend down there- when the ice melts in Hobart - to visit MONA and Routleys

fxh

Sounds hot, will definitely pay it a visit when I go back. Like the idea of the regatta blazers, can't recall the last time I have seen any in shops in Sydney or Canberra for that matter.

7. merkur

merkur Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  8. blahman

blahman Well-Known Member

^^ The whole place looks like a dumpster too, especially at the ties table. People just throw the ties back on it.

$15 for a scarf is still reasonable though.

9. JTA

JTA Well-Known Member

JSSM - the chap you are after is maher at M&R. He is very knowledgable and hilarious - depending on how you like your pants cut.. I'll let you find out.

+1 on Maher. He's a real bespoke tailor, very critical on fit. A lovely and talkative chap. You'll have a good time talking to him.

10. Prof. B. Bear

Prof. B. Bear Well-Known Member

Went to DJ's in Melbourne today. Absolutley crazy. Saw a Gant leather jacket for $2500 (yes two and a half thousand dollars); Paul and Shark shirts on "deep discount" for only ~$300. Saw a lot of people rummaging through the stock like it was the discount of a lifetime. Really, who the hell pays these kinds of prices? Are there really that many ignorant rich or is it the aspirational masses who don't know any better who pay fot these "bargain" name brand products? [​IMG]
    As someone who works at DJ's, there really are that many ignorant rich people about. It is much easier to sell a $1,600 ill-fitting, over constructed single button peak lapel made in Turkey Armani suit to a 55 year old with a bit of cash than it is to sell him a reduced $809 Paul Smith that fits him as best as possible OTR. People don't care about the fit, only the brand name. Oh and that Gant leather jacket is purchased for $769. Additionally, I take it Milana shoes aren't very well received on SF?

11. blahman

As someone who works at DJ's, there really are that many ignorant rich people about. It is much easier to sell a $1,600 ill-fitting, over constructed single button peak lapel made in Turkey Armani suit to a 55 year old with a bit of cash than it is to sell him a reduced $809 Paul Smith that fits him as best as possible OTR.

People don't care about the fit, only the brand name. Oh and that Gant leather jacket is purchased for $769.

Additionally, I take it Milana shoes aren't very well received on SF?

How much discount do DJs employees get?
    Regarding Milana shoes, don't they still cost about $250 on sale? A more well known, quality brand shoes can be had about that price on the internet. I don't know much about the leather on those shoes but Milanas are either glued or blake stiched so I'd assume they wont sit well with the SF mass seeing how goodyear welt obsessed most are.

12. jobro

jobro Well-Known Member

How much discount do DJs employees get?
    Regarding Milana shoes, don't they still cost about $250 on sale? A more well known, quality brand shoes can be had about that price on the internet. I don't know much about the leather on those shoes but Milanas are either glued or blake stiched so I'd assume they wont sit well with the SF mass seeing how goodyear welt obsessed most are.

20 percent.

13. Prof. B. Bear

20 percent.
    Depends. "Big ticket" items like white goods and electronics it's 10%. Everything else is 20%. If it's black and deemed work appropriate then it's a further 20% after your initial 20% discount. Regarding Milana's - they're about $190-$250 on sale ATM. Only asked as it's one of only really 3 brands we stock that have leather soles. Anyone know a good site to order AE's apart from amazon?

14. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

Additionally, I take it Milana shoes aren't very well received on SF?

A few years back, I noticed that Milana actually had some nice designs.

More recently, however, they've mostly been pretty ugly. Too much detailing, peculiar touches such as a captoe with overstitching in the shape of a wingtip and other such things.

If they would actually commission some decent designs, I'm sure that they'd be better received.

15. blahman

...Only asked as it's one of only really 3 brands we stock that have leather soles...

Which DJ do you work at? The one in Melbourne city has lots of leather soled shoes.

16. elvish

elvish Well-Known Member

A few years back, I noticed that Milana actually had some nice designs.
    If they would actually commission some decent designs, I'm sure that they'd be better received.

+1 I bought two pairs of milana drivers last year that were a previous season. They were 100 each from 270 and to DJs credit, they have lasted well

17. elvish

elvish Well-Known Member

Not sure if Gieves & Hawkes has a following but the site has 50% off
    Save another 10 with coupon VIPsale10.

18. Prof. B. Bear

Which DJ do you work at? The one in Melbourne city has lots of leather soled shoes.

Needless to say not the Bourke St mall one.

19. meister

meister Well-Known Member

Went to DJ's in Melbourne today. Absolutley crazy. Saw a Gant leather jacket for $2500 (yes two and a half thousand dollars); Paul and Shark shirts on "deep discount" for only ~$300. Saw a lot of people rummaging through the stock like it was the discount of a lifetime. Really, who the hell pays these kinds of prices? Are there really that many ignorant rich or is it the aspirational masses who don't know any better who pay fot these "bargain" name brand products? [​IMG]

All of the above sadly based on ignorance. Problem with internet shopping is that the punters are wising up. Unfortunately not all yet are informed by SF level communication.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.