1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Well-Known Member

Yeah, I remember, I was just quoting it as a particularly enjoyable spat from the past. It is a bit zombie-like and still seems to crop up occasionally when somebody wants to give Conne a rev.

2. lukejackson

lukejackson Well-Known Member

I've been purchasing a lot of stuff the last few weeks (a frenzy), maybe some of it from you guys (on ebay). Anyone sell some Sanders loafers and an LBM 1911 sportscoat?

Last edited: May 21, 2014
  3. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Well-Known Member

Seems like one interloper touched a nerve!

1 person likes this.
  4. stormin1

stormin1 Well-Known Member

Dark brown tassel? That was me!

Hope you enjoy them

5. andrewjamesdean

andrewjamesdean Well-Known Member

Gents, I'm hoping the well travelled of you can provide some advice.

I have travelled interstate for work for years, and given the relatively short flights have always just worn my suit while flying. I've recently scored an Asia-Pacific role, and the time I spend on longer flights for work is about to skyrocket. So, I'm weighing up luggage options that will allow me to pack my suits and fly in something a bit more comfortable.

Garment bags vs hard suitcase and carefully folded suit?

1 person likes this.
  6. Foxhound

Foxhound Well-Known Member

7. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Well-Known Member

I believe I may have something to contribute here, spending at least half my life on 11-hour international flights as I do. (Mostly in economy class, alas.)

Firstly, I hate hard suitcases. They divide neatly up into two halves, with manifestly inadequate restraining panels which fail to prevent your meticulously folded clothes from sloshing around into creasy balls as you close the case. I far prefer a soft case with a netted section under the "lid". Trousers - folded in half or thirds - go in this section, as well as business shirts. Never lay two garments on top of each other in the same way - reverse them creatively to allow an even distribution of overall thickness. Zip the net up only when this section has been well packed.

Hard stuff (shoes, toiletries, deflated blow-up dolls etc) go in to the main section first; heaviest stuff at the end with the wheels. Undergarments are then used to fill in the spaces, until everything is levelled out. Then casuals (jeans, t-shirts, jumpers). Finally, lay your jackets on top. For each jacket, put the top end in, full width. Fold the arms across the chest section. Now fold the bottom half up so that nothing is hanging out over the edges of the case. If you prefer, you can use this same folding technique but putting the jacket into the netted "lid" section. Whatever works best.

Another technique is to fold the jacket in half lengthways, lay it along the suitcase's long axis, and fold the bottom part over to fit within the case. As the bottom part of a jacket is always less bulky than the top part, this creates an even thickness. Several jackets can be laid on top of each other this way (reversing the orientation each time).

Yes, I'm anal.

1 person likes this.
  8. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

Some good points from Coxsackie, although you can also get hard-sided suitcases that have those mesh zip-up areas that nicely fit over the top of each side of the suitcase.

From memory, there are some websites out there with good tips on folding suit jackets and trousers.

One of my tailors once taught me to turn my jackets inside out (not the sleeves, just the jackets) and to fold them in a particular way that was very good at preventing creasing. Unfortunately, it's very difficult to describe in words but I remember seeing some samples of the same folding technique on the web.

1 person likes this.
  9. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Well-Known Member

I pack suits in a suit bag (the fabric ones you get when you buy it), and then lay that in my suitcase. You can layer 2 suits/jackets over the same hanger in the suit bag and you have two layers of protection - the suit bag and the suitcase - that will prevent the suit from becoming a 'creasy ball'. You will need a larger case though obviously.

Takes up a little more room than the suit origami JM describes but it also saves you time as you just put the suit in its bag and then put it in your hardcase and off you go. Last thing you want to do after a night on the booze in a foreign city is try to fold your suit with a hangover in a rush to get to the airport...

Another trick if you are visiting one city regularly is to take your suit in to be pressed at a dry-cleaners and leave it there while you fly back home. Then you can pick it up nice and fresh when you return and it saves you having to take the suit back and forth a couple of times. Wouldn't suggest you do this unless you are sure you're coming back within a month or so though else your PJohnson might end up on Alibaba.

PS - I'm sure fxh will have some tips here as well, though they may involve a Hills Hoist.

1 person likes this.
  10. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Well-Known Member

DartagnanRed should be able to chime in, he goes on extravagant trips to Hong Kong. I often wonder how his suits do not end up creased.

11. DartagnanRed

DartagnanRed Well-Known Member

No, no, surely you're the expert.

How do you manage to pack so much bullshit into so few words?

5 people like this.
  12. TimelessMan

TimelessMan Well-Known Member

2 people like this.
  13. nabilmust

nabilmust Well-Known Member

Great-looking shirt (but it looks like it has more buttons than a Pussycat Dolls song...)

1 person likes this.
  14. Prince of Paisley

Man I hate buttons. My next MTM shirt I'm gonna ask for elastic cuffs and a zipper down the front.

May have to start waxing my chest though...

15. nabilmust

nabilmust Well-Known Member

Re: packing suits into suitcases - I've heard and tested the theory of using the plastic cover that your laundry returns in. Wrap your suit in it, and it prevents creases. The static in the material helps, somehow.

When packing suits, I do what JM has suggested above, too (the turning inside out thingamabob... fuck I need my caffeine fix)

There's also.. this:

[​IMG]

16. The Ernesto

And then...

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. Prince of Paisley

Don't tell me you are one of those freaks that wears button boots?

As an aside I think there is nothing more feminine than zippered boots. Men who wear them are worse than idiots who wear button boots.

edited to spoiler that image - thank me later.

18. The Ernesto

Boo!

[​IMG]

19. JimmyHoffa

Great shirt, Andrew. Such a classic, timeless look.

The fabric looks so silky smooth and soft.

Well played.

20. JimmyHoffa

Sorry mate, just wanted to make sure you're still alive.

I think we're due for another Ralph Lauren update.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.