• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Surely those sweatshop slave drivers don't let them get up to any funny business...

After reading you comment's I fully understand why Shakespeare wrote 'the first thing to do is to kill all the lawyers'

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So long as the level of exploitation isn't extreme (eg exposure to toxins, need for suicide nets like apple has) I have no issue with lower wages in manufacturing companies.

China might not be a model democracy, but it's GDP and general quality of life for its citizens has been lifted tremendously by industry, compared to some of the 'democratic' countries in Africa/India.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who makes money off a $50 pair of shoes? Once you factor in transport costs, raw materials, retail's cut, factory owner's cut, etc. how much is left for the people who made it out of the $50 sale price? You would have a hard time convincing me that most of the stuff at Target, Kmart etc. isn't the result of 'extreme exploitation'. It's super cheap for a reason - dignity costs money.

Last edited:

joiji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I ended up researching into where I could get those flush metal toe plates that we keep seeing around the forum from places like Meermin, Vass, as the shoe-makers didn't seem to be able to supply them unless they were on a pair of shoes. I've found a supplier and am going to place an order, is anyone else interested in joining in?

Image attached for clarity. If there's any interest I can flesh out pricing details.

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The materials (low grade leather, Chinese cotton, chip board and polyester) would be cheap, especially considering the buying power of the companies.

No money goes into design, and the transport costs are largely waived from low tariffs and government subsidies.

Admittedly, a lot of the practices that happen overseas are less than ideal. That said, I don't think the immigrants in Italy or America producing goods are highly paid uni graduates with health care and an hour lunch break either.

Last edited:

burnso

Reaction score
Fxh, relating to your post a few days back, is it unwise to let shirts sit in a bucket of water for more than a few days?

Also in general guys, can someone confirm that shoulder bags/ shoulder straps are bad for a canvassed suit shoulder?

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So I ended up researching into where I could get those flush metal toe plates that we keep seeing around the forum from places like Meermin, Vass, as the shoe-makers didn't seem to be able to supply them unless they were on a pair of shoes. I've found a supplier and am going to place an order, is anyone else interested in joining in? Image attached for clarity. If there's any interest I can flesh out pricing details.
I'd be interested, but also a bit wary at the same time. Once you've got the toe plates, do you think that you'll be able to find a place that will be happy to fit them - and able to fit them competently - if you provide them with the toe plates??

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The materials (low grade leather, Chinese cotton, chip board and polyester) would be cheap, especially considering the buying power of the companies.

So the slaves work further up the supply chain... Phew, now I can relax in my plastic shoes!

No money goes into design, and the transport costs are largely waived from low tariffs and government subsidies.

What are you talking about? It still costs money to ship stuff from anywhere to anywhere. And that cost is rising everyday with the oil price and the increase in global trade volumes. And name me one government that is currently providing an import subsidy scheme for clothing? Bottom line is the cost of getting the products to market is a very high proportion of the minute cost you pay as the consumer of these cheap goods.

Admittedly, a lot of the practices that happen overseas are less than ideal. That said, I don't think the immigrants in Italy or America producing goods are highly paid uni graduates with health care and an hour lunch break either.

Don't believe I ever said they were... Then again they earn more than a dollar a day, or 1 rupee per pair of shoes. What I'm talking about is virtual slavery, where garment workers are paid below even the measly official minimum wages, workers have no rights, and child labour is common. These practices are rife, particularly in the Subcontinent. Sorry to get on my high horse but it pays to think before you buy that $4 shirt from Kmart about what the true price is and who is really paying it. You're getting a bargain but somebody is getting screwed somewhere. Nothing is for nothing.

/rant.

Last edited:

joiji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
I'd be interested, but also a bit wary at the same time. Once you've got the toe plates, do you think that you'll be able to find a place that will be happy to fit them - and able to fit them competently - if you provide them with the toe plates??

I did think about this, but I've had my cobbler install a similar thing in rubber already, so I can't imagine these creating any challenge for him. Of course, everyone potential experience may vary in their confidence of their local cobblers ability. I'd be happy to order an extra box and divvy them up to interested parties so they aren't all out a significant amount of money if it doesn't work, but an order requires a wire transfer so an individual purchase isn't an inexpensive exercise.

EDIT: For clarity, a box of 10 pairs (20 plates) is ~35 EUR, so a little more than 50 AUD. Shipping decreases significantly the more you buy, but one to two boxes is 20 EUR shipping, 3-4 25 EUR, etc. Plus a wire transfer fee, which varies from $22 (Cheapest I've found) to $50. One person buying one box is out about $100 AUD, but two people buying one box each is $75, 4 buying 1 is $66, etc.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads