1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Well-Known Member

1. 90s revival is huge at the moment (and has been for the past 5 years) - in any case grey is easily one of the most versatile denim colours. Emos? I don't know if the troglodyte you play in this thread sometimes is an affectation (if it is it's not working well for you), but it sure comes off as banal and pithy. Also, like 80% of cities anywhere are comprised of black, it's not 'for' any one group. Don't make me quote Yohji.

2. Lapo looks completely stupid here - everything clashes (and loafers, what the actual fuck) - it's beyond 'textural interest' its mashing blue denim the ICONIC workwear with classic white collar cuts (maybe fabric can't tell) and a tie?!!?!? Look how the shirt billows awkwardly where the jeans meet the shirt ut just isn't working, and the fades really just don't even come across as pleasing at all with a jacket.

Yes, maybe if something is incredibly non-constructed (barena or EG are good examples) it can work OK. More conventional denim (like this picture), illustrate exactly why I don't think the combination works - a lot of great fitting suit jackets are ruined by pants that are too tight, too loose, too short, too long - the pants here really don't complete the silhouette in a pleasing way - and I think that the cut of any non-bespoke denim just doesn't work, even the denim itself just doesn't work - texturally it's too coarse, contextually it's too workwear/blue collar (BLUE COLLAR!!) to even achieve a sense of any sort of logic.

The only time I've seen denim look OK with a SC is stupid thin denim (7-8oz) dyed so dark the texture becomes hard to identify, and in that case one wonders what the point is.

1 person likes this.
  2. LonerMatt

I think that's a bit of a stretch - I can't think of any photos I've seen, or people I've met where it's been as successful as trousers in another fabric would have been. Happy to look at examples.

Dressy jeans are almost an oxymoron, though, aren't they? It's like the relaxed or louche suit - it's very, very, very hard to do well, and is incredibly unconventional because it's trying to make one thing something it wasn't intended to be, not impossible but requires skill. That being said, sans turned up cuffs would make a huge improvement on most jean-SC fits, as would a suit in a very, very casual fabric that's cut a little differently.

Still, from the photos I've seen it always looks like someone is trying hard to dress down, and coming off as trying REALLY hard to be casual (the exact opposite of casual), or someone looks like a slobby formal (the opposite of formal).

Honesty, I think the SC just looks better as a complete suiting unit - it's like armour that way.

3. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Well-Known Member

I have a pair of wool/silk trousers that are faux-denim. I pair these with a sportcoat more often than actual jeans.

4. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

Roll away the stone baby

5. LonerMatt

Disagree with the premise entirely, so the conclusions are obviously going to be problematic. See my post to lennier - I can't think of many ways to improve classic suiting (and I love subversive suiting a la CCP, KKA, YY, CDG, etc, but the intention is not the same as classic suiting) and adding blue collar stonewashed jeans seems to ruin the proportions, the style and the intention of the garment. It's like wearing opera pumps with harem pants.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  6. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

" ....faux-denim....." WTF

I give up. Resign. I'm outa here. Do an O'Farrell. Make like a ice hockey goalie and get the puck outa here.

1 person likes this.
  7. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

NTTAWWT

8. LonerMatt

FHX understands me today. Solidarity.

9. Prince of Paisley

They're dress pants. That look like denim.

Jesus no need to get cross.

10. Prince of Paisley

You won't be so arrogant when the police arrive.

11. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

oh lord help me

12. Prince of Paisley

You know not what I have done...

13. LonerMatt

No, but I would be very confused.

14. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

Matt
    I had a squiz at that leather jacket thread. I'm a bit confused. $3K for a edward scissorhands jacket you might wear out about 6 times year seems a bit excessive. I just don't get it. The arguments don't compute to me - on either side.

I understand people like Yōji Yamamoto and that asymmetrical drape etc - if I was younger I would wear some.

I think most current young persons street wear is much more conservative than "classic' menswear. I don't see any skirts or Yamamoto influenced stuff.

Why is it so?

Whats wrong with the young people these days? Why so conformist. I guess its always been so but perhaps just not so straitjacketed.

15. Oli2012

Oli2012 Well-Known Member

1. By the very fact I'm posting here I'm obviously not some blundies wearing tradie breaking open cans of Campbells chunky with my front teeth. At the same time, I'm not going to indulge crap like East coast Australians wearing 16oz flannel for that 'ultimate drape' or designers like Yamamoto rehashing costumes from the movie Fifth Element.

2. Everyone has blue jeans. Wearing them with a navy blazer (remembering that according to SF, navy blazers can't be single breasted nor in a 3 season fabric) and white OCBD might not be 'correct' but its not objectively 'bad' either. It would put you heads and shoulders above 99.999% of males, including a lot of style forum members.

According to Manton chinos are for Californians. Perhaps we should drop them too?

16. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

I've got a pair of navy suede loafers, albeit with tassels instead of laces, that I got from Loake a couple of years back. They're nice, but I only wear them a few times a year. However, since they are Loake and since I got them on sale, I didn't pay a great deal for them. They do stand out and people do comment on them, so if you get a pair, be prepared for the possibility of attracting some attention.
    Mullets ahoy! Also, I think that I had a pair of those Puma tennis shoes in high school - they were excellent and I still miss them.

17. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

You disappoint me

I had you down as a RM wearing regional degree holding numskull breaking open bottles of Crown with your old private school tie pin

3 people like this.
  18. PapaRubbery

PapaRubbery Well-Known Member

fxh have you ever considered penning your thoughts into a book like FuckYeahMenswear did?

Every post is chuckle/10.

No homo.

(okay maybe some bromo)

1 person likes this.
  19. Oli2012

Oli2012 Well-Known Member

You seriously got me [​IMG]

20. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Well-Known Member

He got given the bottle and whilst opening it he realised that the bottle had been corked so he threw it out.

You remember good wines, not 'off' ones. And the chances of a bottle from 1959 still being in good condition is extremely rare.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.