• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

boff

Reaction score

Try the Glenlivet 15. There is something that happens to this whiskey (and not the not the French Oak Reserve) when a little cold water is added. The bouquet just opens up magnificently.

The Japanese whiskeys are, IMHO, some of the most underrated ones out there. I find the Nikka, Hibiki and Suntorys are the perfect balance of peaty and sweet, for my personal liking.

I have recently been introduced to the joys of Ardberg's water of life. The Uigeadail was the dogs bollocks and smwhisky.com.au a good place to order from. Kid in a candy bar when I discovered that website :embar:

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The Japanese whiskeys are, IMHO, some of the most underrated ones out there. I find the Nikka, Hibiki and Suntorys are the perfect balance of peaty and sweet, for my personal liking.

+1. There are some really nice Japanese whiskies and they are well worth trying, both blended and single malt.

I was treated to some Suntory Yamazaki 18 yo single malt when I was last in Japan and really enjoyed it.

steveabdn

Reaction score
Auchentoshen whiskey is beautifully smooth as is Old Pulteney, these are 2 of my favourite whiskeys, there's actually a distillery at 2 streets away from where I live Glen Garioch that's been winning some awards recently. Bit rougher on the throat but a nice drop nonetheless, Ardbeg is a good island malt that's worth a look too, I had a bottle of the Blasda from Ardbeg that lasted me a good while

I'm in Scotland by the way, unfortunately not Australia!

nabilmust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Auchentoshen whiskey is beautifully smooth as is Old Pulteney, these are 2 of my favourite whiskeys, there's actually a distillery at 2 streets away from where I live Glen Garioch that's been winning some awards recently. Bit rougher on the throat but a nice drop nonetheless, Ardbeg is a good island malt that's worth a look too, I had a bottle of the Blasda from Ardbeg that lasted me a good while

I was about to call the movers; good thing you clarified the last bit.

I have recently been introduced to the joys of Ardberg's water of life. The Uigeadail was the dogs bollocks and smwhisky.com.au a good place to order from. Kid in a candy bar when I discovered that website
shog[1].gif

Yes.. Ardberg...

Cubits

Reaction score
Laphroiag is a whiskey the whole room can enjoy. It's the cigar of scotches.

In summer I enjoy the Japanese whiskeys more though, they're really well rounded, but nice and light. Nikka from the barrel is surprisingly good for its age, and their 12 and 15 yo offerings seem to drink a little older than their designation suggests. All good.

Petepan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am just about finished with my Bowmore, and then I will be gleefully opening my bottle of Auchentoshan.

The problem with taking the nice stuff is that lesser stuff gets relegated. Please dont tell my wife I have been using JW Black for polishing my shoes (well, some of it anyway, hick!).

JayH

Reaction score
Recently cracked open (and finished) a bottle of Glendronach 15 yo revival. Definitely recommended if you have a penchant for sherry. Opens with strong sherry and spicy notes on the nose. On the palate overall a honey nectar like body albeit briefly before the wood and spice overpower.

Now back to the habitual Macallan for something a little more subdued.

AriGold

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The hibiki bottle is amazingly nice! Anyone know where i can get it relatively cheap?

I bought a bottle of Yamazaki and its also very very good.

boff

Reaction score

Hey Steve - can you direct me to a decent Auchentoshen from the range here -> http://smwhisky.com.au/catalogue.php?category=21&parentcategories=1_4_21
Slainte Mhath!

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really like smoky whisky's, and always tend to drift back to JW Double Black, which is thankfully now available everywhere instead of just 5 Airports worldwide like it used to be. Drunk neat on a winters night, it warms the throat well.

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Try the Glenlivet 15. There is something that happens to this whiskey (and not the not the French Oak Reserve) when a little cold water is added. The bouquet just opens up magnificently.

+1 hibiki

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
+1. There are some really nice Japanese whiskies and they are well worth trying, both blended and single malt.

I was treated to some Suntory Yamazaki 18 yo single malt when I was last in Japan and really enjoyed it.
ya+1

but im not as big of fan of the 12 year single

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads