1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ajc2162

ajc2162 Well-Known Member

That's what I was thinking when I was talking to the manager. But then I noticed a black Aldwych - so maybe they've become more flexible in their approach and will now stock 1880s. I'm a little biased as I happen to find Loakes really comfortable and smart shoes so they suit me as an excellent value for money proposition.

So I may just keep an eye on the place and maybe little jewels will miraculously materialise in a UK 7.

As an aside, he mentioned that they've been pressing Loakes to open in Australia (presumably like the T M Lewin business model). Apparently there have been some Loake scouting visits, so they appear to be giving it some consideration (or maybe they're just being polite to the Australian distributors). Either way, you heard it here first.........

2. joiji

joiji Well-Known Member

By that logic people shouldn't buy MTM shirts/pants/suits, as OTR will fit 'well enough'.

3. Oli2012

Oli2012 Well-Known Member

There's a big differential between a M2M shirt or suit and shoes. Again, obviously if you have podiatric issues that's not the case.

4. Foxhound

Foxhound Well-Known Member

Thanks, the shoes look overly bobby in here. I have a pair of RMW black chelseas on the Macquarie last on the way. They should be here any week now. I could also have wonder my Tetburys but I feel as if the trickers go.

5. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Well-Known Member

Guys, any recs for a navy gillet/vest that buttons rather than zips that I can wear through winter on casual days with denim, RM's, OCBD etc etc? Preferably light down filling without being a puffer vest (got plenty of those already). Have tried CR, Trenery and RM but not looked too far further just yet.

6. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Well-Known Member

The Uniqlo ones are nice and sleek but they have a zip. Is there a reason it needs to be buttons?

I imagine Lands End, Polo, J Crew (ie overseas online) might have what you are looking for. Maybe Patagonia.

7. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Well-Known Member

I've already got a couple of zip ones, find them a bit casual for what I want it for (cold days where I'm not client facing in the office). I'll check out RL though soon, but would prefer something I can try on first. Maybe DJ's in here might have some too, RL or otherwise. Even though most of my Fly Fishing kit is from Patagonia, they are also a bit casual. Cheers

8. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

Interesting - I'll have to stroll past and have a look next time I'm having lunch nearby at Mad II or Little Singapore.

I haven't been to John Mills Himself as yet, but I thought that it was more of a bar, rather than a coffee shop?

I must admit that I've been rather disappointed by the coffee served at some of the trendier spots around town. The people at Gramercy are lovely and their cakes and slices, which are baked on the premises, are great but I've always been decidedly underwhelmed by their espresso coffee. Similarly, the place down Albert St, Toby's Estate, doesn't do a particularly good espresso although a friend of mine raves about their Chemex coffee. I did think that the espresso coffee at Strauss is quite nice - has anyone else been there?

Speaking of places to go, we should have a Brisbane SF get-together as it's been far, far too long since the last one. I do tend to catch up with some SF members on a weekly basis for lunch or coffee but only one of them (The False Prophet) posts with any regularity and the others only venture onto SF very rarely.

It would be great to meet up with some other Brisbane members to have a chat - is anyone interested?

9. Romp

Romp Well-Known Member

The gyakousou x Nike gillet not bad. Slim fitting tho

10. Foxhound

Not into those sporty vests, I would love to pickup this, Man 1924 Wool Herringbone vest.

[​IMG]

11. AriGold

AriGold Well-Known Member

agree with oli here, almost everyone can find OTR shoes that fit well enough to not make any visual difference which can't necessarily be said for clothes.

12. thebrownman

thebrownman Well-Known Member

FTFY

6 people like this.
  13. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

Alan's not that tall and he's quite slim and light, so Foxhound could probably pick him up fairly easily. I don't know whether he'd be able to carry him around once he'd picked him up, though.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
  14. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Well-Known Member

15. CoffeeDudeGuy

CoffeeDudeGuy Well-Known Member

It seems to be a rule that places with tattooed hipster baristas tend to serve nicer coffee. And, not to sound ageist nor sexist, but young, pretty gals tend to make terrible coffee, and the perfume they put on their wrists screw up the taste profile of the cup as well (all baristas should be banned from wearing perfume below the elbow). That is, unless the pretty lass is a tattooed hipster, then you're good. You know a place is good when they throw around words like "Auction Lot" and "V60" and "Bourbon Washed"...

16. CoffeeDudeGuy

CoffeeDudeGuy Well-Known Member

With vests, I like the diamond-pattern quilted ones but the size of the pattern/distance between diagonal lines need to be right.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
  17. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

18. Foxhound

Wanna know how I got these scars?

2 people like this.
  19. cgo

cgo Well-Known Member

Pri

I have to admit price wise there is a difference between MTM shirt and MTM shoes but if stick to the principle that a "poorly fitted shoes will always contribute more to health problems than a poorly fitted shirts" (or suits for that matter)....and I don't think you have to have a podiatrist issues for that to apply

20. Foxhound

That's funny coming from a guy whose taking me out for lunch tomorrow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.