1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Well-Known Member

Agree the lunatics have taken over the asylum so Putin decides to launch Russia's Great War memorial activity 5 months early, 100 years later nothing changes

And today is a good day to wash.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
  2. Geoffrey Firmin

IMO the lapels don't work if your going for peak lapels you need more width as they taper down and not sure the patch pockets work either

3. Oli2012

Oli2012 Well-Known Member

Weave's too boring, no patch pocket on chest, no 3r2, peak lapels make me uncomfortable.

4. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Well-Known Member

Putting aside the technicality of lapels and the agreeable mismatch of pockets to lapels, at the end of the day, is this a jacket that would look good with grey trousers (maybe even navy) for office wear? Can you see it working with tie and or no tie?

5. andrewjamesdean

andrewjamesdean Well-Known Member

I definitely agree with FoxHound's advice here - I sized down a full size and my tan Buttero lows fit perfectly. The break-in period was pretty brutal (even worse than my Iron Rangers, which I didn't think would be possible), but the shoes really are beautiful.

1 person likes this.
  6. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Well-Known Member

7. Geoffrey Firmin

I wouldn't wear it in a business environment. Sans tie Saturday arvo with shirt and jeans would be fine in a upmarket pub. (they still exist don't they?)

8. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Well-Known Member

Thanks for answering, from this and peoples responses doesn't sound like this particular jacket is as versatile as I might have imagined. Will just put brown on the backburner till I can get a suit done later in the year. I miss the brown hugo boss suit it I happened upon at a DJ's sale many years back, was ideal but was ripped (literally) from me by a rogue hook in a narrow woollies isle :(

9. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

Pity I didn't know about Nike Tech Fleece Pants Heather Grey XL Extra Large - SOLD OUT.
    I would have bid very high.

Would they go well with a peak lapel on Fridays or a wedding?

10. Foxhound

Foxhound Well-Known Member

I'm currently wearing my Nike Tech Sweats. They're very comfy, don't know why you're selling them, PS.

11. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Well-Known Member

Too big for me FH. I was told the sizing was tight but I should have gone for the Large.

FXH you would love them - they are great for going for going sockless.

12. Oli2012

Oli2012 Well-Known Member

Out of curiosity, what sort of weaves could you get the brown jacket in which would work in the summer?

[​IMG]

13. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

Oli - Linen or linen /cotton - or linen/cotton/silk all work well.
    Silk can look very knubby and summery but by itself wears very warm - too warm for summer.

And an all or mainly silk jacket would be a bit pricey anyway for a young boy from the provinces!

1 person likes this.
  14. PapaRubbery

PapaRubbery Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Top lel, fxh, Always a pleasure to read your posts. Did scoff heartily.

1 person likes this.
  15. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Well-Known Member

All this is truth.

Another option is minnis fresco if you are having something made up. Here's one Vox prepared earlier:

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  16. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

I dunno I don't have any fresco type weaves but they always feel a bit like some of the girls from my country town , thick, rough and harsh.

17. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

I've felt some fresco from Minnis (I think ) and it had a very nice hand - quite soft and a bit spongy. Looked like it would be great for air circulation and the more open weave gave it a bit of a casual, summery look.

1 person likes this.
  18. kayhill

kayhill Well-Known Member

'Ultimate cool garment' apparently: https://www.gentlemansgazette.com/fresco-wool-fabric-suit-outfit/

In other news I've flipped my blog over to a new url and format. As part of that relaunch I've done a comparison of 5 online MTM shirt companies that I've used; hopefully it's useful to some -- I've seen a few of the regulars in this thread post in the Luxire thread.

1 person likes this.
  19. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Well-Known Member

20. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

Thats interesting - my experience on feeling that the hand was a bit skritchy and stiff - and see through in trousers - but I must admit I haven't looked around much and might have been feeling inferior stuff - - it does get hyped by the cognoscenti and I've been meaning to look into it a bit more seriously.

Whats the advantage over linen though? - a bit more worsted look - City and Hard and a bit less louche?

On the other hand though I'm kinda of the opinion that when its that hot, at least here in Australia, we, entirely appropriately, ditch the jacket altogether.

Fresco / Crispaire stuff seems designed for a UK "summer" which is a bit of a weird concept as far was we are concerned. Whilst its good to be cool (in all senses of the word) I'm not altogether convinced of the small incremental improvements in actual cool temp purported to be offered by some fabrics and modes of dressing. Especially at higher temps. Say 35C+ or even 30C+.

But I do believe in wearing stuff that looks "summery" even if no actual temp improvement is measurable. As far as I can see Fresco/Crispaire doesn't look that cool - although I admit to not, knowingly at least, ever having worn any, and certainly confess to not paying it enough attention to make a detailed definitive judgment.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.