1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cgo

cgo Well-Known Member

Between EG and StC personally, I would save up a bit more for a pair of StC. But as people has been saying, it really depends on your needs and view towards "good quality" product.

2. wurger

wurger Well-Known Member

yes, there are some variability in the fit of Vass in the same size, I have 3 pairs of U last right now, all of them feel different when new, after breaking in, they feel similar.

I would not recommend size up for instep, unless your V on the facing is massive, now to an important point I want to stress, in bold.

How people lace their shoes affect the feel and look of the shoes.

I would only recommend straight European lacing on oxfords, as it's the only effective way to tighten the laces across the instep for oxfords, and easy to loosen up when taking the shoes off by pull the top 2 horizontal laces out a bit. and PLEASE, for people not sure about this type of lacing, check this out and it will only take you less than 5 min to change the laces. http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/straighteuropeanlacing.htm

EG and G&G from my recollection, comes with this type of lacing, while Vass comes with a shoe shop lacing, which doesn't help closing up the V much. http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/shoeshoplacing.htm

And also, AE's straight bar lacing isn't much good either. http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/straightbarlacing.htm

Now back on track on Vass, I find their shoes quite stiff when new, and my new shoes all have a bit of heel slip, but after half a day, the shoe heel counter will lock into my heel, probably because they use Rendenbach soles and the high instep volume of the shoes, so as the wearer tightening up their laces there is a bit of room left to movement in the instep, which is different to what they used to feel. The the F last does look bigger compare to EG 82 last for the reasons i mentioned in the earlier post. I would recommend take the same size in the U last, the instep will be the same, but tighter shoe box, so a smaller looking and feeling shoe.

All of G&G's lasts have the same fit, just 4 different toe shapes, and take the same size as EG, or half a size up from standard brands. So if UK7E is your size for EG, can't go wrong with UK7E with G&G.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  3. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

Wurger,

At the risk of sounding a bit facetious, I'd really to know just how many pairs of shoes you've bought in the past 12 or 24 months!

With regard to lacing, I disagree a little. I have a high instep (so high that I simply can't wear certain models or lasts of shoes, including Allen-Edmonds, as they are too "flat"), and I have found that the bar lacing system is the best for my high instep as it eliminates pressure over the top of my foot and allows me to close the laces more tightly. So, whilst it might not work for everyone, it made a large difference in my case and some of my shoes are noticeably more comfortable.

Ian's shoelace site certainly is a fantastic resource, and I've been using it for some years to show people how they should be lacing their shoes!

4. md2010

md2010 Well-Known Member

Before I start packing away my summer wardrobe - pale blue jacket by Caruso . PRL driver .Please excuse the long shirt sleeve length. [​IMG]

5. wurger

wurger Well-Known Member

The False Prophet, I also think you probably have the wrong size in Vass F, your fit is only half a size different to mine according to your experience with EG. but your size difference is one whole size.

A lot of people on SF, would wear a Euro 40 in F in your size, at max a 40.5 if has wide or high step, which is my case, I original went with a 39.5 but Vass send me a 40 by mistake, after wearing a couple of times, I didn't mind the extra toe room, if it gets too loose, Rezso has sent my insoles for insurance, but the 40 in U is definitely the right size for me.

So I would recommend 40.5 for the U last.

6. wurger

wurger Well-Known Member

Journeyman, too many I am afraid, more than 10 pairs a year.

7. wurger

wurger Well-Known Member

yes, you are correct, bar lacing is good for people with high steps, I tried that too when i first started too, it just doesn't close the V, since there is no pressure to pull the facings together.

8. md2010

md2010 Well-Known Member

Buying shoes are worse than Heroin addiction. Last year I was really bad. This year I haven't bought any shoes - I hope I can make this year free of new shoe purchase.

9. wurger

wurger Well-Known Member

Mate, it's only the 3rd month :D

10. Arch3r

Arch3r Well-Known Member

This old chestnut.... How many shoes? Should I buy 1 really good or 2 of good quality.

My thoughts are this, when starting out obviously by two pairs of the best quality you can afford. After this if you like X pair and have the cash buy them. If they make you happy and you enjoy them then I don't think anyone can argue diminishing returns whatever the price.

You need to ask yourself will X pair of shoes make me $Y worth of happiness or should I spend that on a holiday/mortgage etc. For me I've setup a bit of a funnel if money every pay day to fuel my sartorial purchases so that I don't feel guilty when buying big ticket items - I either have the cash or u don't and I've already ear marked it for that so the question becomes do I buy the EGs or the G&Gs

11. Arch3r

Arch3r Well-Known Member

Wurger you're crazy! I'm sure I'm not speaking for myself but would love to see some pics of the whole collection.

12. wurger

wurger Well-Known Member

Arch3r, just click on my profile, and then photoes

13. Fang66

Fang66 Well-Known Member

Can anyone suggest a place to buy a reasonable suit, and a pair of black cap toes in Brisbane. Have to attend a funreal on Tuesday.

14. Romp

Romp Well-Known Member

Photoes likes dem potatoes!

2 people like this.
  15. The False Prophet

The False Prophet Well-Known Member

Hey Romp, I don't suppose you have te address of Melbourne Suit Shop? Matt and I keep missing each other's calls, and I'm on Bouke St now...

16. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

Quick -Get off theres a tram coming!!

Upstairs opposite Pelligrinis.

While you are there pop into American Tailors and ask to try on some shoes to get your size then take a photo so you can buy online.

17. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

I didn't think that Suit Shop had an actual shopfront address in Melbourne?

I know Romp said that they were opening one in the Strand Arcade in Sydney, but I didn't think that they had one in Melbourne as yet.

18. md2010

md2010 Well-Known Member

Last Friday fit PRL jacket(Bradford Model- DJs last year at 50% off) , AE Strands. Bag by Insubordinate Lads made in US.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  19. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Well-Known Member

Pretty sure they are opening on Monday or Tuesday, though it might be a little later than that (or may have already happened...wow thanks for the precise post Pink Socks). On Bourke near Amercian Tailors.

20. The False Prophet

The False Prophet Well-Known Member

Was meant to open today, but they don't have the keys, and Matt is too busy at PJ to come and fit me. Devastated doesn't even begin to describe my feeling...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.