1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The False Prophet

The False Prophet Well-Known Member

Double Monk has heaps in stock. Their pricing is fair - only Skoaktiebolaget is cheaper online, unless you can get something on sale (and black Oxfords are seldom on sale).

And your night sounds highly promising :)

Thanks Cox!

The 202 is very conservative, as is the 82 for that matter, but the latter is somewhat sleeker.
    Not as sleek as the Vass F last, which was previously on top of my list, but even that doesn't do up properly over my foot.

I know that Vass is meant to be on par with EG and JL in terms of finishing, but IMO the English blow Vass away in terms of softness and comfort.

G&G is one brand that I'd like to try but never have. I find their lasts and styling really attractive, though they look narrower than EG...

1 person likes this.
  2. Romp

Romp Well-Known Member

I was very impressed with the quality of the Vass that Wurger has !

2 people like this.
  3. Gianni Cerutti

Gianni Cerutti Well-Known Member

4. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

Gianni - whilst I appreciate you have a product to flog - popping up indiscriminately on various threads with insubstantial acontextual comments on others posts doesn't do you any favours with regard to respect for you or your product.

If you have an indian seo company doing it for you - then you should warn them off. And get a refund.

If you are doing it yourself - then there are better ways.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
    2 people like this.
  5. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Well-Known Member

Intriguing...

6. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Well-Known Member

Is it true fxh wrote Die Yuppie Die?

7. wurger

wurger Well-Known Member

yeap, if you have the disposable income to spend, go for it. for shoes, anything over entry level SF approved brands like AE, Loake, Meermin isn't really an investment, you are paying multiples for really tiny improvements.

It's like MTM suits such from Romp, around $1000, that's the amount to get a good fitting suit with good materials and construction, that's an investment to most of us who doesn't have male model body shape. And for people who can afford to spend thousands on designer labels, provided that they fit ok, or bespoke, good on them, but I wouldn't call that an investment, at least not in my own vocabulary.

8. wurger

wurger Well-Known Member

Personally, I find the 82 last sleeker than the F last, the F last is quite roomy in the toe box and high on instep, plus Vass' sole edge tend to stick up more from the upper compare to English shoes. But it's strange that the 82 last is better fit for your high instep, since F definitely has a bigger instep.

I dont' agree with your comment about softness and comfort, once we are in the zone of Vass, and the EG and G&G, the construction of hand welt will in theory provide more support than goodyear welt, not that I can feel any difference when wearing them. As for the leather, while the English brands tend to finish/burnish their shoes better, then leather should be the same grade and comfort level provide both shoes fit you. And unfortunately, you can't really differentiate finishing on a pair of black shoes.

1 person likes this.
  9. wurger

wurger Well-Known Member

G&G fit pretty much same EG, the owners did work in EG before, their lasts are more contemporary, or fashion forward for the conservative.

What I find strange is that a new company like G&G can charge more than EG even though doesn't have the same heritage and brand power. My only conclusion is the craze of igents on forums like this, driving the demand of luxury consumables.

10. wurger

wurger Well-Known Member

well, i guess he wants to get his money's worth for been an affiliated vendor…. but I can't agree with you more. :nodding:

11. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Well-Known Member

He is not flogging anything.

Unlike you, he is just extremely concise at getting his opinion across.

I say the above with the friendliest of tones :).

12. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Well-Known Member

Interesting ...

1 person likes this.
  13. wurger

wurger Well-Known Member

Michael, how's the Foster Porter cap toe working out for you, is the size right fit?

14. The False Prophet

The False Prophet Well-Known Member

Thanks for your advice Wurger.

I'm speaking from the small sample that I've tried on, so I could well have fallen victim to the notorious variability of Vass. I really hope so, as I do like their stuff, and I like the price even better.

Likewise, my comments on comfort are based on the initial try-on: I haven't worn either for any real period of time.

A possibility has occurred to me that explains why I was underwhelmed by the instep on Vass. The F last did accommodate my instep when I sized up half a size to 41, but then I found it slipping in the heel. It also just looked a bit too big. In EG, I sized up to a 7 to get the laces to close, but there was no slippage and not too much room over the toes. So the real issue may not be instep, but length. I wonder whether the wider toe box on the Vass could have played a part, even? Maybe size 41 in the U last would work better?

Can you suggest a G&G last that fits comparably to the EG82? If so, I'll be very keen to lay my hands on a pair.

Coming back to the 'investment' discussion, I was of course being somewhat facetious when I used the word, being one typically used to justify indulgent purchases on this and other fora.

But having said this, if I buy something that I won't want to replace, I am saving money in the long run. It might be true to say that C&Js or AEs can last as long as EGs or G&Gs, but if I replace them with something better and they end up at the back of the cupboard, they might as well have worn out...

1 person likes this.
  15. BSPF

BSPF Member

All this talk about Edward Green...

As a rough straw poll, what would you gents prefer?

- 1 pair EG RTW
    - 1 pair C&J handgrade, 1 pair C&J mainline
    - 3 pairs Loake 1880

(assuming you can choose whatever you want from the respective ranges)

16. Foxhound

Foxhound Well-Known Member

1 pair of Common Projects and a TOJ Double Rider.

1 person likes this.
  17. Oli2012

Oli2012 Well-Known Member

I would agree with this - once your past those numbers the law of diminishing returns kicks in something hard.

1 person likes this.
  18. joiji

joiji Well-Known Member

Can I take two pairs of Vass instead? Or a pair of Saint Crispins for similar cost (If memory serves, might be a little more than EG)?

19. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Well-Known Member

Good point, Gerry. I now see what FXH was talking about :).

1 pair EG. Life is all about quality, not quantity.

St Cs are definitely not the same price as EG. They are significantly more.

20. wurger

wurger Well-Known Member

My rational self would suggest 2 pairs of similar quality shoes at the same price; but knowing people's mentality, most likely they won't stop at the first pair, as they eventually will admire its beauty and cave in to more purchases, get the EG is my suggestion.

A pair of St Crispins is around 600 bucks more compare to EG, and it's a MTO shoe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.