1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tobiasj

tobiasj Well-Known Member

Hi chaps

I too checked out the Brooks Brothers concession at DJs today. Some pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

(Last shot is me modelling a 38R Milano jacket, part of a suit--$1,499.)

Overall the range is pretty casual, PRL-ish. Some nice stuff, but you couldn't call it cheap. On sale I'd definitely be interested though, the quality is certainly there. The SA told me it was the end of season stuff from the US, but that when they open the stand-alone store in the GPO (this year I think), they'll have a full range.

He also told me that I 'already looked like a Brooks guy'. I wasn't sure if it was a compliment...

5 people like this.
  2. wurger

wurger Well-Known Member

California Dreamer, Your shirts's arm holes are likely too large for you, so when you lift your arms, it will pull the bottom of the shirt out.

If you like large arm holes, than have to make the shirt longer, won't look bad since they are tucked in the pants.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  3. Arch3r

Arch3r Well-Known Member

Got a mate who is convinced he's going to wear English morning dress for his wedding in August. He doesn't want to hire so I've suggested MTM. Can go PJ or Suitshop for pants and vest but they can't do the tails.

I've looked at a few places on the row but am a bit dubious about buying for someone else online. Particularly with a deadline

Anybody know of somewhere in Sydney that can make this? Has got a budget of 2k so I figure pants and vest from Suitshop should be around $7-800.

4. Foxhound

Foxhound Well-Known Member

Sounds good to me! I'll shoot you a PM tomorrow evening.

5. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

I suspect that your best bet for a morning coat is to buy from somewhere in the UK and then have it altered. This should, hopefully, be fine unless your friend is an unusual size, or has unusually long arms or something like that.

After all, let's face it, how many times in your friend's life is he going to wear morning dress? Realistically, this is quite probably the only time. Therefore, at the risk of being a party pooper, does he really want to spend a couple of thousand dollars on a one-off set of clothes (yes, yes, I know that women spend much more than that one one-time wedding outfits, but we're trying to be more rational than that!)?

There are plenty of places in the UK that sell formal attire, both new and used, and so I think that he'd be better off ordering some stuff now so that he has plenty of time for adjustments as needed.

Here are a couple of sites - the first has a lot of vintage/secondhand stuff, the second sells new, off-the-rack clothing:

http://www.savvyrow.co.uk/collections/types?q=Morning+Coats

http://www.pakeman.co.uk/category/80/Morningwear

Ede & Ravenscroft is, of course, one of the quintessential British menswear stores:

http://shop.edeandravenscroft.co.uk/pages/a-gentlemans-guide-to-weddings-feature

Silk top hats are not made any more as the original looms were broken up and, as odd as it sounds, no-one knows how to weave the particular type of silk used for top hats anymore. However, there are plenty of vintage top hats around, and some places sell fur-felt hats that have been brushed to a shine, so that they look reasonably like a real silk topper.

Edited to add: It's worth remembering that if your friend orders from the UK, at least from businesses like Pakeman or Ede & Ravenscroft, he'll have to pay shipping but he'll also have VAT deducted from the purchase price, which means that the items are 15% less than the marked prices.

6. boff

boff Well-Known Member

Thanks man, very kind. I've got those samples already. I think Norne might be my next purchase. That or Ore.

If anyone wants a sample of Jeke I am also happy to post. Just PM.

7. Gianni Cerutti

Gianni Cerutti Well-Known Member

Very nice shoes....

8. 3piecesuitguy

3piecesuitguy Active Member

Hi Oli2012 - yes I am a Newcastle boy -lived here for the last 9 or so years. Originally from Sydney. Are there many others from Newcastle here?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Well-Known Member

Nps mate, yeah got Jeke, good fragrance has a bit of a cowboy vibe to it.

With the cooler months ahead my vote would be for Ore over Norne but each to their own :)

10. Arch3r

Arch3r Well-Known Member

Awesome thanks JM. I've told him the same thing but he's set on wearing it. Charles tywint seem to have some too.

11. Oli2012

Oli2012 Well-Known Member

Really? Most guys out here wear purple and aqua because their wives picked them.

This. This. This. Minus the pink

I judge you so hard.

I know its still online but might be worth it for the price. Aussie return address too.

http://www.ctshirts.com.au/men's-su...suit-tail?q=auddefault||eda01blk|||||||||||||

12. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

If he wants to wear it, then he should go for it as it's a great look if done well. I just think that he's much, much better off getting OTR stuff and having it adjusted and saving his made-to-measure budget for something more versatile that he'll actually wear more than once in his life!

13. Stiva

Stiva Well-Known Member

He shouldn't even go OTR morning suit. He should get a charcoal double-breasted suit made, which he can then use for years. Take the coat and buy a pair of OTR spongebag pants and a buff linen waistcoat from Ede & Ravenscroft. Blue striped shirt with contrast white collar and cuffs. POW tie. Voila - perfect morning dress for a wedding without looking totally anachronistic. Makes dressing the best man and groomsmen much easier as well.

1 person likes this.
  14. BaldwinP

BaldwinP Well-Known Member

I had a looksee late last week, I think it was only the 2nd day it was open- the guy asked me if I'd heard of Brooks Brothers and when I said yes answered "that's more than I knew about Brooks Brothers two days ago!". He then gave me the Oroton story that I already knew. They seem to be pricing similar to the name brands DJs already sell so not cheap (e.g. $1500 suits) but certainly worth looking at when the inevitable sales arrive.

15. ovlov

ovlov Well-Known Member

Henry Bucks advertises morning dress during cup season. I remember looking at a suit last year that was about $900 for the jacket I think.

If you had voiced this suggestion 4 months ago I would likely be wearing this on Friday.
    I really like the buff waistcoat look in wedding garb but I couldn't find one in my early searches and PJs couldn't do it and eventually talked me out of it.

16. ovlov

ovlov Well-Known Member

Speaking of which my PoW wedding tie arrived in the mail today from Vanda. Thanks Jm and co for recommending them. Gerald was a pleasure to deal with and they rushed through my order in 2 weeks including delivery which is just amazing.

Unfortunately my own error in haste I asked for some extra width to mid section for a longer knot, forgetting to consider I was already ordering a tie about a half inch wider than most of my others. I'm sure it will be fine though if a little showy. Regardless the tie itself is a true work of art and exactly what I had been looking for.

Shout out also to Nabil for the Braces loaner. This is an truly awesome forum, one of the few that actually feels like a community.

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  17. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Well-Known Member

The thing with this is to try the various suits on and then buy at the BB sales for I doubt that they will match the prices they have online in the States.

18. lachyzee

lachyzee Well-Known Member

Can anyone recommend a good, cheap (like, really cheap) moisturiser? If it has sun protection, that's a bonus.

19. nabilmust

nabilmust Well-Known Member

+1

20. nabilmust

nabilmust Well-Known Member

Grazie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.