1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Well-Known Member

---

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  2. thebrownman

thebrownman Well-Known Member

If anyone Sydney-side is interested in a pair of BNIB C&J Handgrade Belgraves in Antique Chestnut, size 9E UK, I'll be in town next week for two to three weeks. PM me for more info :)

1 person likes this.
  3. BSPF

BSPF Member

Australia has a small population, wages for retail workers are very high, not many cashed-up locals compared to London and the US, not many rich Russians and Arabs visiting Australia, and the issue of geographic isolation.

London's luxury department stores survive on old money and the wealthy Russians/Arabs/Africans, which utilise the UK as a tax and safe haven.

USA has critical mass, lower taxes, low wage costs, old money and new money, and elite e-commerce.

Australians have to piss too much money up the wall in property costs, there's nothing left for the majority of the population after dealing with mortgage repayments.

Even if Selfridges or Harrods set up in Australia it would end up like Daimaru - go bust and never turn a profit.

2 people like this.
  4. Gianni Cerutti

Gianni Cerutti Well-Known Member

I like the color of that jacket ... congratulations!

5. Oli2012

Oli2012 Well-Known Member

I was going to say this - you can see the pressure on cost of living with the popularity of chain stores like CottonOn, JayJays, Rivers and Target.

The only other area Australians seem to blow money is cars.

6. md2010

md2010 Well-Known Member

Thanks. Stile Latino makes great stuffs. Neapolitan tailoring at its best. The shoulder construction is very interesting.

7. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

I've got a few brown odd jackets, including a tobacco-brown linen one and a chocolate-brown cashmere faux-Donegal tweed one.

However, in addition to the Japanese brown flannel suit that doesn't fit me anymore, as I mentioned earlier, I just remembered that I also have a brown suit in a small-scale glen plaid, made from a mohair-wool blend (photos from archives follow):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  8. ovlov

ovlov Well-Known Member

Beautiful suit. But how many suits does know have to accrue before you actually forget that you own one of them?

9. Oli2012

Those are all nice suits, but bar ISurg's, none of them are remotely CBD.

The best I could imagine getting away with would be a dark brown super. Even then, its going to lead to a million redundant questions like 'I never knew suits came in brown' etc.

10. Foxhound

Foxhound Well-Known Member

I wore this to the CBD.
    [​IMG]

Am I CBD????

11. Oli2012

No, but someone may confuse you as a cast member for the movie Blade Runner.

1 person likes this.
  12. kayhill

kayhill Well-Known Member

Haha, good movie (and even better book).

Speaking of CBD, I believe Suit Shop's Strand Arcade store opened its doors today?

2 people like this.
  13. BaldwinP

BaldwinP Well-Known Member

brownman, half a size bigger and I'd seriously consider taking those off your hands. Ah well.

Suit Shop has a shopfront now? I should drop by. My Suit Shop suit is in high rotation- entirely possible I will get another later this year sometime. Very pleased with it.

So what if brown suits aren't strictly CBD? I don't actually have a brown suit, but have considered it. I suppose if your office dress code or clientele is that boring that anything but charcoal, navy or (sob) black is considered casual then you just have to grin and bear it, but otherwise you'll no doubt be dressed sharper in your brown suit than most of the people in ill-fitting "CBD" that I see around the traps, and that's really the goal of the whole work suit thing innit, looking sharp and competent and in command. I wouldn't wear a brown suit to court or anything, but otherwise why not?

The cost of living thing is a bit of a furphy, the economics writers tend to blow it up every time the pollies solemnly tell us about the pressure on cost of living. If you've got a mortgage you can barely afford then you've got pressure on your household budget alright, but it's not being caused by the cost of living increasing faster than income. Anyway, for whatever reason (cough scaremongering about the economy for the last 4 years cough) people have been saving at abnormally high rates rather than spending, which is not helping the retailers. I agree that there's little point in the likes of Selfridges coming here. The department store one-stop-shop business model really just begs to be taking online 100%... really, it's coming full circle since the days of the Wells Fargo Wagon and mail order catalogues ruling the retail world.

At the moment, I think the one thing holding back online retail in Australia from finishing off the likes of Myers and DJs is the lack of free shipping and free returns like they have in the US. I know an American woman who was telling me today about buying 4 dresses in different sizes for an event she had coming up so she could try them all on and then just send back the ones she didn't like or which didn't fit. Zappos with women's shoes does the same thing.

14. Romp

Romp Well-Known Member

Yeah sure did!

Come and say hi, myself or Remy are there most days

1 person likes this.
  15. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Well-Known Member

Blade Runner? I must have missed someting.

16. md2010

md2010 Well-Known Member

Hi romp how much is your mtm shirts starts at? And also turn around time. Thanks

17. ryanohare

ryanohare Well-Known Member

They are coming out here. I explored their franchise model (mostly out of intrigue) and they've got a plethora of suitors and options. they'll have a Sydney and/or Melb store up very soon.

18. lachyzee

lachyzee Well-Known Member

Great news.

Does anyone know the pricing? Highly doubt they will carry by B and C widths, though, which conveniently means I won't feel so bad for continuing to buy AEs online...

19. Nolvadex

Nolvadex Well-Known Member

Been ob holidays he last couple days. Final read the last 100+ posts during breakfast today.

Took a fit pic a couple days ago at Shenzhen which is at the border of hk and china.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Will be in hk tomorrow morning :)

4 people like this.
  20. thebrownman

thebrownman Well-Known Member

See you next week, Romp!

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.