1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Well-Known Member

I would be interested to see what the differences are, if any, in the customer experience of having true bespoke (e.g. by JH Cutler) compared to PJ's MTM, and if the final products are comparable. The major difference I suppose would be one extra (basting) fitting - really not a benefit in and of itself unless it results in a better fit (possible), or you like being touched by another man with a tape.

As an aside, I think the major part of PJ's success is they understand they are not offering a product but an experience: the experience of a bespoke suit fitting, only in a friendlier, more Australian way, rather than a stuffy English way, and at a more affordable price. The compromise is the backroom process (MTM rather than bespoke) but not quality or choice of options, or the fitting experience (or fit either from all accounts). It's a compromise most (I say most) customers are happy to make.

The model appeals to a lot of people, particularly busy young blokes who can rightly feel alienated from big fashion houses that make you feel like it's your distinct previlege to buy something from them, or the dying breed of olde worlde tailors that don't quite get contemporary preferences for slimmer, shorter, lighter garments.

In contrast PJ's styles are right on fashion at the moment - soft shoulders, unlined or buggy lined, slim fitting - and also highly climate-appropriate for this country. This goes a long way to explaining their popularity with a certain demographic that is also quite educated about clothes and appreciates the quality of the product as well.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  2. boff

boff Well-Known Member

this is not aimed at anyone - it's just how I feel about the subject
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. Arch3r

Arch3r Well-Known Member

I lost my shit when I saw this.... Harvey Specter rocking that like a boss, to be fair his 'tailor' he sends Mike to appears to be OTR/MTM.

Perhaps Timeless Man can provide this comparison it seems he is commissioning things left right and centre.

4. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Well-Known Member

Oh yes me too....like new ways to skim onto posts that cover a different topic...I jest...I just find it a little strange that people get so hung up on it (PJ, bespoke, MTM, MTO)....do you have nice clothes, do they fit? Great, where can you get some more...

In other news - Melbourne Members there are a couple of opportunities for meeting up soon (detailed below). Who's in?

Dress for Success - Wednesday 26th February (hopefully lennier will give some more details.

Happy New Year and welcome to what will be a huge 2014. There are big plans in the pipeline and the first Networking Event is only weeks away.

Once again we will be offering complimentary drinks and canapés whilst you meet and network with other successful businessmen.

DATE Wednesday 26th February, 6–8pm
    VENUE Sinclair Knight Merz, Level 11, 452 Flinders St
    COST Members: FREE, Non-Members: $20
    RSVP expertnetwork@wearforsuccess.org.au

For more information on Expert Network please call Peter Gluskie on 0459 966 900

Current members please note: your 2014 membership fees of $50 are now due. This annual membership entitles you to free attendance at our quarterly networking events plus exclusive invitations to other events we are planning.

Double Monk Cleverly/Drink (aka chance to admire GARRY Nelson's shiny shoes) - Friday 14th March

5. DartagnanRed

DartagnanRed Well-Known Member

Hi Guys,

Hope you're all well.

Just a quick one, is a bespoke topy the same as a MTM topy and do you think I should get my new Aquilas topied?

Kind regards,
    DR

2 people like this.
  6. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Well-Known Member

Unfortunately I will miss both of those as I'm not in town.

However I am in Melbourne next week - anyone want to meet up for dwinkies one evening?

7. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Well-Known Member

How much are P Johnson topies?

8. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Well-Known Member

Is the topy made specifically for YOUR feet or do they just take one out of the box and shave bits off to make it fit?

Don't bother topy-ing the Aquilas, it won't allow their beautiful leather soles to breathe and they will die of suffocation as a result.

9. The Ernesto

Garry has bespoken.

1 person likes this.
  10. lachyzee

lachyzee Well-Known Member

11. DartagnanRed

DartagnanRed Well-Known Member

Hi, thank you for your reply.

My understanding is that my Aquilas will be measured for a topy in store, but the topy itself will be made in Napoli, before shipping back to Australia for topy fittings. I am concerned about the shipping costs for this service, and would like to ask everyone on this forum's personal opinion on whether I can afford $40 in shipping?

When speaking to the professional topy-smiths, they did not specifically confirm at any stage that they were not bespoke topies, which leads me to believe that either they are bespoke topies, or that those smily, no-sole fuckers are profiting from topy confusion in the general public by failing to correct customer misapprehensions. These are the only two options.

Should my topy not fit perfectly, can anyone recommend a good topy-alterer in the CBD?

2 people like this.
  12. The Ernesto

Have used saphir on a pair the missus has and comes up fine.

13. Oli2012

Oli2012 Well-Known Member

I really like the RMWs conditioner and shoe cream. It smells better and seems to be absorbed more easily than Saphir.

Less colour range though.

14. nabilmust

nabilmust Well-Known Member

TBH, that's a little over the topy

1 person likes this.
  15. jmills

jmills Well-Known Member

He's just full canvas'ing all the arguments.

Yeah I know my #menswear puns need work.

16. jmills

jmills Well-Known Member

Quote:
    Thanks, I will see if they still have any. I'm not too worried about price or place, but local is always preferable to avoid sizing issues. I would get some made up, but I'm thinking they should be chino-ey, not sleek dress cottons.

Yeah, they have sold out of my size, unfortunately. Thanks though.

17. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Well-Known Member

Sometimes, I think you just need to bare your sole.

1 person likes this.
  18. nabilmust

nabilmust Well-Known Member

The opportunities to practise them might be fused and far between.

1 person likes this.
  19. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Well-Known Member

Been MIA for a while. Trying to read more so I can catch up on Matt.

On the winter want list, I have:

1. A navy sports coat that is (finally) not from the op shop
    2. Getting my op shop C&J boots back from the factory and trying them out
    3. Belts. Maybe burgundy calf, black suede
    4. Frapin L'Humaniste, ful bottle.
    5. At some point, maybe a pair of oxblood cordovan brogues.

Anything more than that would undoubtedly draw the Evil Eye.

1 person likes this.
  20. jmills

jmills Well-Known Member

I've been thinking of joining this group order (which closes soon), have you considered boots?

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.