1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boff

boff Well-Known Member

A sports coat, lightweight tweed type thing would be nice. Or one of those rather fabulous Boglioli washed numbers. And a pair of navy odd trousers, maybe chino, maybe wool, haven't decided.

2. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

+1 to Boff.

When women dress men, they typically dress men in the same sort of colours and patterns (albeit without flowery stuff) that they wear themselves. By and large, it doesn't look good.

Thankfully, my wife (despite being Japanese) absolutely detests shopping and hates fashion, so she leaves me to my own devices.

3. Arch3r

Arch3r Well-Known Member

Thanks for that they seem to have a pretty good range of stuff.

Also forgot to add some winter ties from Vanda :D

4. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

Sometimes me and Ms. fxh will jump in the car and go in to a 9 pm session at Nova if its a fillum I can't see anywhere else - like the las one was 20 Feet From Stardom - but the Nova is such a dump really and by the time parking is done its a $50 cost thats not worth anywhere near $50.

5. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

Plestor - I didn't mention that I hardly ever watch actual "live" TV - I watch iView to see programs I might like or watch off the hard drive and WDTV and downloaded series or movies. I've got WoWS but haven't got around to it. I do think most tv is unwatchable - well except COPS occasionally.

6. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

oli - this is pure gold.

If I knew where your mum was I'd call in and have a chat to her over a cuppa next week when I'm driving through.

7. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Well-Known Member

Filthy sh#thole.

8. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

Why is it soo bad? - its like a sticky carpet dimly lit rock n roll pub without the rock n roll or any saving graces. Plus I get lost there because I'm grumpy with no lights in passages and when I realise how much it costs and how grubby it is. Plus they only take cash downstairs at that stupid ticket office. Only made worse if its a smelly small theater the size of my bathroom full of hipsters, tenured university types on defined super and dreadlocked ferals eating and drinking and I have to sit right down the front and lean back to look up at the blurry screen 2 metres away from me. Each time I go I swear never again.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  9. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Well-Known Member

Probably not this year, but there are going to be plenty of scarves, some in a printed silk/wool backed and others in pure wool. I actually just received a few samples which I put some pics up on my affiliate thread yesterday

http://www.styleforum.net/t/294012/...es-official-affiliate-thread/960#post_6929045

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As for me, RM's are the only thing on my list mostly and some moleskins. Other than that I'm pretty right for winter. I'll get plenty of new ties of course....

10. The Ernesto

Perfect description.

Obviously the people who own it clearly couldn't care less.

Westgarth is good, or at least, better.

11. The Ernesto

Pants. People want your pants. Sort out your pants.

12. Arch3r

Arch3r Well-Known Member

I love that herringbone!

1 person likes this.
  13. charliechan

charliechan Well-Known Member

Tan sports jacket
    Brown cotton trousers
    Something with dainite soles
    ...and likely some Christian Kimber sneakers

14. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Well-Known Member

What size are you? I have a Boglioli tan sportscoat (size 42) I am going to put up for sale, along with a olive Barbour Liddlesdale quilted jacket (size Large).

15. Petepan

Petepan Well-Known Member

+10000

Euro$1200 on some fecking LV boots with glued soles and thin leather. With that money, could have gotten at least 2 pairs of boots MTOed for her by Carmina, and with a little TLC, they will last for at least 1 decade. I think the LVs will last at most 5 years, and that is probably due to the fact that there are at least 7 pairs of boots on rotation during the short "winter" in Sydney. LVMH's grip is strong....wished I got the shares as recompense....

16. charliechan

charliechan Well-Known Member

Good idea, although I'll be wearing my 'F Me' outfit instead.. no one but my date needs to see that. Also aren't you breaking your own rule by posting on this thread :p

A bit smaller than that unfortunately.. thanks though!

17. ovlov

ovlov Well-Known Member

Went into Henry Bucks today looking for Albert Thurston braces. The only thing they had was their house brand which the sales person said 'might be Thurston; the label says they're made in England'. Anyone know more about this? I don't care about the label so much as just having to fork out $155 for something about which quality I have no idea about (my first pair and nothing else around to compare them to).

18. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Well-Known Member

He hasn't posted about his own outfit so he's safe :)

19. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

@ovlov, I think that most braces that are made in England are made by either Thurston or by Trafalgar.

As far as I'm aware, both are of good quality.

What sort of braces are you looking for? Plain black, plain white, patterned?

At the risk of confusing things, you could always give TM Lewin in Melbourne or Sydney a call as they have some braces and might be able to send you over a pair (although I can't remember how long it is until your wedding).

One thing to note is that formal braces (ie for white and black tie) typically have fabric ends, whereas "business" braces have leather ends. TM Lewin only offers braces with leather ends, but as you're not wearing white or black tie for your wedding, that should be fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.